Petrol or Diesel?

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby lordgrover » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:32 pm

Rachaelink wrote:Hi

sorry to bump the thread but I am just looking for some more information with regards to my Ibiza.

I have noticed that the gearing ratio is so different to a petrol and given that I am still a learner and not on the motorway I am struggling to get it in to 5th. I tend to stick to 3rd in 30 etc as per previous advice given in this thread. What I was wondering if any has had their diesel cars chipped, and if this would make a difference to fuel economy?

Most 'chippers'/tuners offer different maps according to the punter's requirements. I had EcuTek map my old Bimmer for performance but the option was there for economy too. FWIW, it made little to no difference to my Mark I improvement detector (seat of pants).
lordgrover

Postby swatchways » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:19 pm

TripleS wrote:
jcochrane wrote:I have heard that to change a dmf at this mileage is not uncommon. One suggestion, I've heard, to extend its life is to depress the clutch when switching on and off.

43,000 miles? That's a very poor lifespan by my reckoning.

Shocking lifespan by my reckoning. Honda know there is an issue, some have gone at 13k apparently, reading the forum, and when I rang to check if they were honouring any warranties, they essentially admitted that model and age had a real issue but still wouldn't budge on any goodwill gestures. I won't be looking at Honda again, disappointingly.

Always depress clutch when starting/stopping, don't feel I put it under unnecessary stress, and never lost a clutch before. Haven't finished off the replacement yet in 7k at least! :o
swatchways

Postby jont » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:38 pm

swatchways wrote:
TripleS wrote:
jcochrane wrote:I have heard that to change a dmf at this mileage is not uncommon. One suggestion, I've heard, to extend its life is to depress the clutch when switching on and off.

43,000 miles? That's a very poor lifespan by my reckoning.

Shocking lifespan by my reckoning. Honda know there is an issue, some have gone at 13k apparently, reading the forum, and when I rang to check if they were honouring any warranties, they essentially admitted that model and age had a real issue but still wouldn't budge on any goodwill gestures. I won't be looking at Honda again, disappointingly.

Clutch on our Octavia (petrol VRS) died at under 40k. I have my suspicions that it's related to the engine having been replaced at <30k due to a catastrophic timing failure, but of course proving this is impossible and with the car out of warranty I doubt Skoda would be interested. It was hard enough getting them to fix the thing when it was still under warranty.
jont

Postby sussex2 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:36 pm

The VW Tdi 1.9 comes in various states of tune as mentioned.
I one an Ibiza Fr which packs 130bhp and more torques than the car can handle to be honest. It fairly shifts along and will pull like an express train even in 6th from quite low speeds. However:

A point I take from a lot of these posts is that people seem over concerned with which gear to be in at a certain speed; rather than which gear to be in at a certain speed combined with road conditions.
Eg Around town and in a 30 limit I will rarely use 4th gear. Why? because 3rd give me more ooomph to avoid hazards whilst allowing me to keep within the limit using engine revs. The extra fuel used is minimal in a car that will easily achieve (according to the onboard computeer) 60mpg +.
Sure the car could be driven in 4th and will pull at that speed even in 5th but there is not the level of control/avoidance power I want.
Likewise on a motorway when the going gets busy I may well be in 5th rather than 6th; which gear will depend on the speed and the conditions.
Ok so in an exam situation you may have to show you can use 4th for a limited time in the correct conditions.
The gear you need to be in is the gear that gives you the best control according to what you can see.

For learners:
It is not a race to get into the highest number gear as soon as possible. It is your job to show that you understand how to use the engine compression to control the car.
Though as mentioned above you should show, under exam conditions and traffic and conditions permitting, that you are aware the car has more than 3 gears :D
I'm not bothered about the old Romanians and Bulgarians but the Old Etonians scare me rigid.
sussex2

Postby TripleS » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:10 pm

sussex2 wrote:The VW Tdi 1.9 comes in various states of tune as mentioned.
I one an Ibiza Fr which packs 130bhp and more torques than the car can handle to be honest. It fairly shifts along and will pull like an express train even in 6th from quite low speeds. However:

A point I take from a lot of these posts is that people seem over concerned with which gear to be in at a certain speed; rather than which gear to be in at a certain speed combined with road conditions.
Eg Around town and in a 30 limit I will rarely use 4th gear. Why? because 3rd give me more ooomph to avoid hazards whilst allowing me to keep within the limit using engine revs. The extra fuel used is minimal in a car that will easily achieve (according to the onboard computeer) 60mpg +.
Sure the car could be driven in 4th and will pull at that speed even in 5th but there is not the level of control/avoidance power I want.
Likewise on a motorway when the going gets busy I may well be in 5th rather than 6th; which gear will depend on the speed and the conditions.
Ok so in an exam situation you may have to show you can use 4th for a limited time in the correct conditions.
The gear you need to be in is the gear that gives you the best control according to what you can see.

For learners:
It is not a race to get into the highest number gear as soon as possible. It is your job to show that you understand how to use the engine compression to control the car.
Though as mentioned above you should show, under exam conditions and traffic and conditions permitting, that you are aware the car has more than 3 gears :D

Are you really finding (on a regular basis) that you need the strong acceleration made available by low(ish) gears in order to deal with, or escape from, hazards? People do sometimes emphasise their wish to be able to 'accelerate out of trouble', but I can't remember ever having to do that. I've always found braking or steering to be the means of avoiding situations needing urgent action. i suppose the only exception would be a misjudged overtake, where the application of more power can remedy the situation.
TripleS

Postby fungus » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:27 pm

TripleS wrote:Are you really finding (on a regular basis) that you need the strong acceleration made available by low(ish) gears in order to deal with, or escape from, hazards? People do sometimes emphasise their wish to be able to 'accelerate out of trouble', but I can't remember ever having to do that. I've always found braking or steering to be the means of avoiding situations needing urgent action. i suppose the only exception would be a misjudged overtake, where the application of more power can remedy the situation.

I had one pull out from the right when the driver in the right turn box flashed him out as I was passing. Braking, or doing nothing would have resulted in a collision, accelerating got me out of trouble.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby revian » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:36 pm

fungus wrote:
TripleS wrote:People do sometimes emphasise their wish to be able to 'accelerate out of trouble', but I can't remember ever having to do that. I've always found braking or steering to be the means of avoiding situations needing urgent action. i suppose the only exception would be a misjudged overtake, where the application of more power can remedy the situation.

I had one pull out from the right when the driver in the right turn box flashed him out as I was passing. Braking, or doing nothing would have resulted in a collision, accelerating got me out of trouble.

Ive been glad to be in a lower gear when...
1. I've misjudged it and needed to move more quickly than should have been the case :( but that was my poor observation

2. In urban situations the car slows down promptly when easing off the accellerator for a hazard and I don't need to change gear again.

Accelerating to overtake - yup... as long as it's not accelerating into trouble...and risking staying there.
Wirral
revian

Postby TripleS » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:04 pm

OK, fair enough, accelerating out of trouble can happen. :)
TripleS

Postby sussex2 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:52 am

TripleS wrote:OK, fair enough, accelerating out of trouble can happen. :)

It's more a case of adjusting your speed via engine compression to avoid a potential hazard; rather than using the compression to avoid an actual hazard.

It can also prepare you mentally for the potential hazard as part of a system.
Last edited by sussex2 on Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not bothered about the old Romanians and Bulgarians but the Old Etonians scare me rigid.
sussex2

Postby TripleS » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:13 am

sussex2 wrote:

It's more a case of adjusting your speed via engine compression to avoid a potential hazard; rather than using the compression to avoid an actual hazard.

Your use of terminolgy is confusing me. I get confused very readily. :?
TripleS

Postby revian » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:19 am

TripleS wrote:
sussex2 wrote:

I'm guessing TripleS brought the 'with brakes' option for his car and uses it for hazards.... sometimes.8)
Wirral
revian

Postby sussex2 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:27 am

TripleS wrote:
sussex2 wrote:

An example:

You are about to pass a junction and are on the priority road. You notice a vehicle approaching the junction which should give way when it gets there.
An adjustment of speed could have you gone and away from the potential hazard before it can become an actual one.
That surely is what an advanced driver does.
On topic the 130bhp with shed loads of torques in my Seat will have me gone and away in no time; as long as I am in the correct gear for the conditions and speed.
Any more clear :D
sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:33 am

revian wrote:
fungus wrote:
TripleS wrote:People do sometimes emphasise their wish to be able to 'accelerate out of trouble', but I can't remember ever having to do that. I've always found braking or steering to be the means of avoiding situations needing urgent action. i suppose the only exception would be a misjudged overtake, where the application of more power can remedy the situation.

Ive been glad to be in a lower gear when...
1. I've misjudged it and needed to move more quickly than should have been the case :( but that was my poor observation

2. In urban situations the car slows down promptly when easing off the accellerator for a hazard and I don't need to change gear again.

Accelerating to overtake - yup... as long as it's not accelerating into trouble...and risking staying there.

Re: Para 2 - Or gets you past the hazard/potential hazard perhaps? A parked car when the driver may be about to open the door for instance.
sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:38 am

TripleS wrote:
sussex2 wrote:The VW Tdi 1.9 comes in various states of tune as mentioned.

For learners:

Are you really finding (on a regular basis) that you need the strong acceleration made available by low(ish) gears in order to deal with, or escape from, hazards? People do sometimes emphasise their wish to be able to 'accelerate out of trouble', but I can't remember ever having to do that. I've always found braking or steering to be the means of avoiding situations needing urgent action. i suppose the only exception would be a misjudged overtake, where the application of more power can remedy the situation.

It is also a matter of mentally preparing yourself for the potential hazard and allowing you a reserve of power should you need it.
sussex2

Postby revian » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:44 am

sussex2 wrote:Re: Para 2 - Or gets you past the hazard/potential hazard perhaps? A parked car when the driver may be about to open the door for instance.

...? Beware if racing the hazard? The door may open quicker than you think?
Wirral
revian

PreviousNext

Return to Learner Driver Forum