Magic Roundabout Swindon

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby gcl2013 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:32 am

I visited Swindon yesterday and had the pleasure of using this roundabout. I don't normally have a problem with it as I can usually reach my destination by going round the outside. But this time for the exit I needed it was only really practical to go through the centre part. I hate the centre part of the roundabout as I always get confused by the large number of lanes with straight on arrows and can never work out which lane I should be in.

Coming from County Road I needed the exit to Devizes (the 3rd of 4). On approach to the roundabout(s) I got in the right lane. However after the first mini-roundabout you come to four lanes as shown here:
http://goo.gl/maps/zMyX0
At this point I was confused as to which of the four lanes I needed to be in to get over to the right turn lane going into the next mini-roundabout. At the time I used the 2nd lane, but had to drop back and get behind the car alongside me in the 3rd lane that was going the same way - so based on this I imagine I was wrong?
gcl2013

Postby dombooth » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:42 am

I would say 3rd lane.

Dom
Dominic Booth
Chesterfield IAM Chairman & Webmaster
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

ALL OF MY POSTS ARE OF MY OPINION ONLY AND NOT THAT OF MY GROUP UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED.
dombooth

Postby fungus » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:35 pm

I would agree with Dom. Lane 3 could also be used if going on to the 4th exit as there are two lanes on the exit road. Also consider whether the driver in lane 3 is signaling right to go 4th exit if they are ahead of you.

Have a look at this one.

https://maps.google.com/?ll=50.738363,- ... 0,30.419,0

If you are turning right from either Poole Rd B3076 going North into the B3068 Blandford Rd, or right from Dorchester Rd B3067 going South into Blandford Rd there are three lanes at the give way lines after after negotiating the first roundabout. The effect of this is that a driver going ahead on the Blandford Road then pulls up alongside of you. This means that you often have two cars going in the same direction into a single carriageway with only one lane
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:28 pm

Just treat each part as a roundabout, including the centre. It only makes sense to go through the middle if your path is relatively straight anyway, so central lanes are probably appropriate.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Return to Learner Driver Forum