Reversing whilst looking forward

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby sussex2 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:34 pm

I have notice an increase in people reversing their cars without actually looking behind them and wonder if this is now taught ab initio.
Could an up to date ADI clarify this for me as it does seem to be mostly younger people I see doing it. I also see driving school cars with the pupil still belted and attempting to peer over their shoulder when reversing.
What's the up to date accepted position on this please; purely out of interest.
I'm not bothered about the old Romanians and Bulgarians but the Old Etonians scare me rigid.
sussex2

Postby driverpete » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:10 pm

I certainly don't teach my pupils to reverse without looking in the direction of travel, nor I suspect does any other ADI worth his (or her) salt and they certainly wouldn't pass their test doing it that way. I'm afraid what you're seeing is just another example of the laziness creeping into the driving styles of many (but thankfully not all) drivers today, along with not signalling on roundabouts, not making eye contact and blocking junctions when queuing (one of my pet hates).

Oh dear! I'm beginning to sound like a grumpy old man (Voice from the kitchen - What do you mean "beginning?" - )

As for reversing with the belt on, it is permitted to remove it for reversing although none of my pupils have ever needed to do it.
driverpete

Postby trashbat » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:16 pm

I confess that I sometimes (often?) do this.

It's not what I was taught to do, but view through the rear of my car is poor, and I feel I can maintain better situational awareness by scanning mirrors. As ever, I try and fit my behaviour to the context, so I wouldn't do it in a busy supermarket car park for instance.
Rob - IAM F1RST, Alfa Romeo 156 JTS
trashbat

Postby exportmanuk » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:45 pm

trashbat wrote:I confess that I sometimes (often?) do this.

It's not what I was taught to do, but view through the rear of my car is poor, and I feel I can maintain better situational awareness by scanning mirrors. As ever, I try and fit my behaviour to the context, so I wouldn't do it in a busy supermarket car park for instance.

I would second this. I frequently use mirrors for reversing as it give me a much better view. I do look through the rear window as well when appropriate but door mirrors give me a much clearer picture of when the vehicle is going.
And when getting in to tight parking spaces it is essential
Also when towing or driving a LGV you have no rear window to look through anyway.

If more people understood how to use mirrors you may not see so many people doing 27 point positioning shunts in car park trying to get in or out of a space :roll:
exportmanuk

Postby revian » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:02 pm

trashbat wrote:I confess that I sometimes (often?) do this.

And me... I had negative comment in my RoSPA test doing this. I felt, maybe wrongly, that I could see a lot using my mirrors and still had a view of what might be around in front.
Wirral
revian

Postby waremark » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:07 pm

Too many ways to look: back right shoulder, offside door mirror, front offside, park distance indicator, reversing camera display, front nearside, nearside door mirror, back left shoulder. I try to scan round all that lot! - prioritising appropriately to the situation.

You must clear any blind spots and be confident of seeing when the situation behind changes, such as a pedestrian crossing behind you. Are there any other musts?
waremark

Postby 7db » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:08 pm

"reversing, checking all four corners"
7db

Postby waremark » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:12 pm

7db wrote:"reversing, checking all four corners"

Not difficult in your little car. As it happens, your big car has very good viz - it makes a huge difference.
waremark

Postby sussex2 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:49 pm

It is something I have noted and thanks for the opinions.
I'm not bothered about the old Romanians and Bulgarians but the Old Etonians scare me rigid.
sussex2

Postby Ancient » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:15 am

7db wrote:"reversing, checking all four corners"

Can't see the corners at all by turning around, can see them by looking in the mirrors (and central mirror gives a better view out of the rear window, being higher than my head).
Ancient

Postby TR4ffic » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:27 am

sussex2 wrote:I have notice an increase in people reversing their cars without actually looking behind them and wonder if this is now taught ab initio.

As well as a good all round check as to what's moving and what isn't (vehicles and pedestrians) before coming to a stop prior to the reverse, and getting the car in the best possible position start the reverse manoeuvre, it's mirrors only for me... Oh, and the reversing camera. The two door mirrors and the screen provide a far better view of the space, obstacles and where the car is going than twisting my head to left or right ...and it's easier to make quick checks on what, if anything, is happening in front of the car too. Even in the other family car without the reversing camera, it’s just the three mirrors.

In a Car Park, I will always reverse into spaces because I find it a) Easier to manoeuvre into the space in reverse, and b) You have a better view when pulling out leaving the space. Are we all the same?

If reversing out of a space, the driver definitely needs to be looking over his/her shoulders to left and right to check for crossing traffic/pedestrians but, all too easily, as they steer left or right to come out of the space, the driver can become fixated on ensuring they don’t hit the adjacent car so their level of observation as to what’s behind them drops. If I see someone reversing out of a space, I can see them better than they can see me – so I’ll wait.
Riveting – The most fascinating job you could ever have..!

Nick
IAM Member since 1985
TR4ffic

Postby TripleS » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:54 pm

TR4ffic wrote:In a Car Park, I will always reverse into spaces because I find it a) Easier to manoeuvre into the space in reverse, and b) You have a better view when pulling out leaving the space. Are we all the same?

If reversing out of a space, the driver definitely needs to be looking over his/her shoulders to left and right to check for crossing traffic/pedestrians but, all too easily, as they steer left or right to come out of the space, the driver can become fixated on ensuring they don’t hit the adjacent car so their level of observation as to what’s behind them drops. If I see someone reversing out of a space, I can see them better than they can see me – so I’ll wait.

I agree with all of that. My preference is always to reverse into a parking bay, unless it is in the middle of a car park and you can drive in forwards and drive out forwards. Where I have to use a perimeter bay, I almost invariably reverse in, the only downside being less convenient access to the boot, but that doesn't outweigh other considerations.
TripleS

Postby TR4ffic » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:01 pm

TripleS wrote:...the only downside being less convenient access to the boot.

...as frequently noted by Mrs. TR4ffic ...but I'm driving so get the casting vote. :)
Riveting – The most fascinating job you could ever have..!

Nick
IAM Member since 1985
TR4ffic

Postby waremark » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:35 pm

TR4ffic wrote:
TripleS wrote:...the only downside being less convenient access to the boot.

...as frequently noted by Mrs. TR4ffic ...but I'm driving so get the casting vote. :)

But don't you worry about the side of the car being scratched by the supermarket trolley? And if you have a hatchback, how far out do you have to stop to be able to open it backwards and load it from behind?

I reverse in by default, but not if I am going to bring back a supermarket trolley. I always worry about my doors; I like to park at the end of a row where only one side of the car will be vulnerable.
waremark

Postby revian » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:10 pm

waremark wrote:I reverse in by default, but not if I am going to bring back a supermarket trolley. I always worry about my doors; I like to park at the end of a row where only one side of the car will be vulnerable.

and as far from the shop entrance as is reasonable... there's usually a traffic jam of cars and pedestrains near the door and waiting to collide with each other...

Apparently 1 in 10 adults does't even walk for 5 consecutive minuters a day now.
Wirral
revian

Next

Return to Learner Driver Forum