Left reverse.

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby bijal » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:48 pm

Hi All,
I have failed my driving test for the second time just for my silly mistake, :cry: :cry: :cry:
I was hoping for some help from you experts.
In my first test I was asked to do a 3 point turn and I did it amazingly.
Second time I was asked to do reverse parallel parking. which I did good, but he gave me 2 minor.

Now my only concern is that in my third attempt if they ask me do to reverse round the corner (left) I will surely fail because I have spend so much of time and money in my lessons learning that but I just don't get the judgement. I have got a blue tape marking on the backseat window like a reference from where to turn, till there it is fine. but then I don't know how much to turn right or left...to finish it. I try looking in the mirror and just get confused...
As all the corners are different some are 90 degree but how can u say it is 90deg as the bend is curved. :roll:

Please can anyone help me with some tips. I just want to pass my test. Please help me.

Sorry my test centre is in Pinner (London)

*** Also can anyone suggest the best way bring my test date forward, I don't want this to be hanging for two months.
thank you all
Regards
bijal

Postby jcochrane » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:23 pm

My reversing is terrible so my advice may not be of much use. Here goes. For a perfect reverse, that you are asking about, the rear left wheel needs to remain the same distance from the kerb as you go round and then straighten as it was before you started to turn. Adjusting the nearside mirror so you can see both the kerb and wheel may help you to keep the distance the same.

One of our ADI's on here may have some useful tips.
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby driverpete » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:42 pm

My first instinct is to say "Get rid of the tape". Keep it simple. At your starting point you should be able to see the kerb in your nearside mirror (don't worry about being able to see your rear wheel - you don't need to). Take note of where the kerb appears in your nearside mirror and aim to keep it in that same position throughout the manoeuvre (imagine you have a dog on a lead; if he starts wandering off pull him back). If the kerb starts to disappear to the left then steer left until you can see it again; if it starts to disappear "under the car" then steer right until you can see it again. Remember always that for each correcting move you make you will need to "uncorrect" otherwise you will end up either on the kerb or in the middle of the road!
Of course while you are doing all that you still need to take effective observations. Many of my pupils who successfully completed the left reverse on mock tests were so relieved that they immediately failed for forgetting correct observations before they moved off again so don't get caught out that way.
And good luck!
driverpete

Postby martine » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:43 pm

Good advice above but also don't try and do it quickly...you need to keep the car moving very, very slowly. Try moving your head (lean forward briefly) to get the best view in the mirrors but don't stare in any one place more than a few seconds - you need to keep your head and eyes moving all the time to check for safety but also to judge the position of the car.

Use all the reference points you can not just the nearside mirror - you also need to turn your head and look backwards through the rear side window and all the way around to look through the rear windscreen. Look to see it's still clear but also where the car is in relation to the kerb. You must also look to the right for safety during the manoeuvre but also to help you judge where the car is. Looking forward helps as well - it's another view to help judge where you are.

Once you're 3/4 round the corner you need to take off lots of steering and from then, just small adjustments should be necessary (usually no more than 1/4 of a turn of steering) so be patient and make the car continue backwards very slowly while it lines up with the kerb in the new road.

Keep reversing (did I say very slowly?) in the new road until you are happy with the position and using ever smaller adjustments in the steering. Remember to stop with the car parallel to the kerb (looking forward again often helps with this) and when you come to a stop, the steering wheel should be straight.

Handbrake and neutral and grin at the examiner! :)

When asked to drive ahead, remember the normal drill you must check mirrors and blind-spot check before pulling forward - many a learner has failed after doing a good reverse and then not checking to the right before setting off. :roll:

Hope that helps.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby fungus » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:49 pm

Good advice from driverpete and martine.

Don't rely on the tape, as your turning point will differ with the curvature of each corner. I have a blind spot mirror which is adjusted so as to see the rear wheel and the rear edge of the car which I check at the same time as making other observations. As Martin said, use all the reference aids available to you, reverse slowly, keep checking around, that is 360 degrees, and at the same time incorporate a check in the blind spot mirror, (do not over rely on it), to assess the relative position of the rear wheel to the kerb, which is not so easy in modern cars with smaller windows as it was in the older cars with thin pillars and more glass. Reverse SLOWLY, most drivers are poor at manoeuvring because they try to do it too fas., It takes a lot of skill and practice to reverse quickly

In my experience, you are more likely to be failed for poor observations than you are for accuracy, unless it is very poor, and remember that it is possible to correct, if for instance you touch the kerb. The examiner will expect reasonable accuracy, not pinpoint accuracy.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby TR4ffic » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:24 am

In my Nissan, the nearside mirror automatically dips when reverse is selected; this change in view I find very useful.

When on test, if the test car didn't have this facility, would it be acceptable to manually adjust/dip the nearside mirror to undertake this manoeuvre? - assuming the test car was fitted with electrically adjustable mirrors...
Riveting – The most fascinating job you could ever have..!

Nick
IAM Member since 1985
TR4ffic

Postby martine » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:30 am

TR4ffic wrote:When on test, if the test car didn't have this facility, would it be acceptable to manually adjust/dip the nearside mirror to undertake this manoeuvre? - assuming the test car was fitted with electrically adjustable mirrors...

Yes no problem (DVSA and IAM) - just remember to raise it again when finished.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby zadocbrown » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:17 am

It would be worth trying a few corners forward before reversing in each case. This will give you an idea of how much steering you need. I would also get rid of the tape and just spend time driving backwards somewhere safe.
zadocbrown

Return to Learner Driver Forum