Independent Driving.

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:13 pm

Well, the current driving test has an ID section of about 10 minutes, where the examiner will give you a destination or a series of instructions and you're supposed to drive whilst following the road signs or whatever.

I also know that the examiner will give the instructions verbally, and can accompany these verbal instructions with diagrams. I also know that you're allowed to ask the examiner to repeat/confirm the instructions as many times as you need on the move.

My issue is, being profoundly deaf, I have to rely on lipreading, or BSL, which requires me to take my eyes off the road. This won't be an issue when I'm parked up on the side of the road at the beginning of the ID section, but it will be an issue if I forget the directions / the destination, and I cannot pull over safely to confirm the instructions.

So, how am I supposed to overcome this?
TheInsanity1234

Postby Ralge » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:12 pm

The examiner will have to adjust to your needs.
As with any learner on test, an instruction can be repeated as the L-test has never been (even before ID) a test of navigation. If you take a wrong turning and do it systematically/safely no fault can be recorded.
Fleet ADI, RoSPA Dip, RoADTest examiner.
Ralge

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:06 pm

I know it's not a test of navigation at all, but I'm just wondering how would the examiner give instructions during a test, especially since I won't be able to look at him?

Would there be a bit of time before the test begins where I could discuss basic hand signals for the main instructions or something?
TheInsanity1234

Postby fungus » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:12 pm

The examiner will park you up at the side of the road as he/she would for a manoeuvre, then explain what they want you to do. The fact that you are profoundly deaf will not be an issue, the examiner will be made aware of this before your test, and as Ralge said, you will not be penalised for taking a wrong turn, only for any faults commited during the drive. I sat in on the test of a Nepalese pupil, and he made two wrong turns, neither of which resulted in a fault.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby fungus » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:21 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:I know it's not a test of navigation at all, but I'm just wondering how would the examiner give instructions during a test, especially since I won't be able to look at him?

Would there be a bit of time before the test begins where I could discuss basic hand signals for the main instructions or something?

I have no experience of teaching a deaf pupil, but it is my understanding that you will be allowed extra time at the start of your test for the examiner to explain procedures.

As far as directions are concerned, I would imagine the examiner would do somthing similar to what I do when I have a pupil who has difficulty with left and right. I use my hand to point in the direction I wish them to go in to reinforce my verbal instruction. I can't imagine that you would be assigned an examiner who has not been trained to deal with your deafness.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:50 pm

I'm not concerned about going the wrong way on the test, as I know it's not a fault as long you do it safely.

What I'm just wondering about is how would the examiner provide the instructions for the ID section, and generally the whole test.

Obviously, the left/right directions would be covered by the simple pointing-in-the-relevant-direction method, but what about when I encounter a roundabout, or...?
TheInsanity1234

Postby Ralge » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:58 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:I'm not concerned about going the wrong way on the test, as I know it's not a fault as long you do it safely.

What I'm just wondering about is how would the examiner provide the instructions for the ID section, and generally the whole test.

Obviously, the left/right directions would be covered by the simple pointing-in-the-relevant-direction method, but what about when I encounter a roundabout, or...?

For guidance and reassurance you may be best seeking to go with your instructor to have a chat with the Test Centre Manager/Supervising Examiner (or whatever they call themselves now). My local TCM, I found out, had Fridays in the office and was amenable to a chat when I phoned to make an appointment.
For what it's worth I've always considered that an L-test for the profoundly deaf was already fully Independent Driving since the examiner has to give a batch of instructions and agree signals for "pull over" in order to be able to give the next batch of instructions. This will take time, hence such a test being allowed extra time. Good luck.
Fleet ADI, RoSPA Dip, RoADTest examiner.
Ralge

Postby martine » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:24 pm

The directions for the independent driving part can either be done verbally or by showing a diagram of the route for the next 3 junctions.

For the 'normal' driving part I imagine the examiner will use whatever method you suggest before the test starts - be it hand signals, speaking loudly or whatever.

How would you prefer the directions to be given?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:04 pm

mefoster wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:What I'm just wondering about is how would the examiner provide the instructions for the ID section, and generally the whole test.

Are you allowed an interpreter?

StressedDave wrote:I'm not sure how that will help... it's not like the interpreter can wave his hands around in front of Insanity while he's driving. :roll:
mefoster wrote:Well, duh!

I wasn't thinking of interpreting instructions on the move but to make sure that instructions can be passed easily while stopped. :roll:

If he can read lips sufficiently well for that then all well and good but I thought an interpreter might just make things easier.

ETA: Anyway. The answer is yes, you are.

https://www.gov.uk/practical-driving-test-for-cars/special-needs

:mrgreen:

But yeah, I know I'm allowed an interpreter, but I think I have to book and pay for one myself, and I ain't paying an extra £30 (or possibly even more, to pay for their transport costs etc) just for an interpreter to come along with me to make sure I'll understand what the examiner says.

I'll just use the "deaf card" ;) :twisted:

Ralge wrote:For guidance and reassurance you may be best seeking to go with your instructor to have a chat with the Test Centre Manager/Supervising Examiner (or whatever they call themselves now). My local TCM, I found out, had Fridays in the office and was amenable to a chat when I phoned to make an appointment.
For what it's worth I've always considered that an L-test for the profoundly deaf was already fully Independent Driving since the examiner has to give a batch of instructions and agree signals for "pull over" in order to be able to give the next batch of instructions. This will take time, hence such a test being allowed extra time. Good luck.

Well, the examiner can use basic hand signals to provide directions etc for the driving so it isn't entirely like ID :D

But no, I doubt I'd get extra time on the test just because I'm deaf. I'd have to prove that I would have difficulty understanding the examiner whilst on the move and that trying to focus on the examiner's instructions whilst moving would be unsafe.

martine wrote:The directions for the independent driving part can either be done verbally or by showing a diagram of the route for the next 3 junctions.

For the 'normal' driving part I imagine the examiner will use whatever method you suggest before the test starts - be it hand signals, speaking loudly or whatever.

How would you prefer the directions to be given?

I'd prefer hand signals whilst on the move, and lip reading and diagrams and written notes whilst stationary

Speaking loudly won't make a jot of a difference to me, because I rely entirely on lip reading.

I'm that deaf :mrgreen:
TheInsanity1234

Postby waremark » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:21 pm

Before you get to your test, you will have extensive experience of receiving instructions from your driving instructor - and you have previously told us that he has taught several deaf students. No doubt that experience will help when your test comes round. He would normally accompany you to your test, and you would be paying him during the test (that is, if as most people do you take the test in his dual control car). Would he also be a suitable interpreter?
waremark

Postby MGF » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:17 am

FWIW if you are disabled you shouldn't have to pay for additional costs test costs incurred to accommodate your disability. The test centre needs to make the adjustments necessary.
MGF

Postby MGF » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:24 pm

My point is that costs incurred by the DSA for accommodating a disability, whatever they may be, are generally borne by the DSA, not the candidate. OP should contact the DSA and seek advice on what can be done.
MGF

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:28 pm

waremark wrote:Before you get to your test, you will have extensive experience of receiving instructions from your driving instructor - and you have previously told us that he has taught several deaf students. No doubt that experience will help when your test comes round. He would normally accompany you to your test, and you would be paying him during the test (that is, if as most people do you take the test in his dual control car). Would he also be a suitable interpreter?

Nope, he has extensive experience of teaching deaf pupils from my school, but my school is an oral school, which means he does not use BSL.

MGF wrote:My point is that costs incurred by the DSA for accommodating a disability, whatever they may be, are generally borne by the DSA, not the candidate. OP should contact the DSA and seek advice on what can be done.

I doubt that the driving test centre are going to want to pay the costs of an interpreter without me going through a but of a battle with them. The issue here is that I may be deaf, and therefore disabled, but I am not disabled enough to actually struggle through life.

As in, I function exactly like a normal hearing person, apart from the fact my ears do not work at all.

Therefore, I'm not disabled enough in the eyes of the law.
TheInsanity1234

Postby WhoseGeneration » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:30 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:Nope, he has extensive experience of teaching deaf pupils from my school, but my school is an oral school, which means he does not use BSL.

Presumably he has had students pass? If so that would imply he has ensured students have been able to undertake the independent driving part.
Fwiw, my view is don't sweat the test yet. I appreciate you're trying to gain as much knowledge as you can, your being here shows that but wait until you're actually having lessons on public roads and then raise any concerns here.
Something that slightly concerns me is that you might try to be too "AD". By that I mean, just accept what you're told to do for the test, don't argue based upon what you've read here or elsewhere.
Pass test, then AD.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby triquet » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:23 am

WhoseGeneration wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:Nope, he has extensive experience of teaching deaf pupils from my school, but my school is an oral school, which means he does not use BSL.

Presumably he has had students pass? If so that would imply he has ensured students have been able to undertake the independent driving part.
Fwiw, my view is don't sweat the test yet. I appreciate you're trying to gain as much knowledge as you can, your being here shows that but wait until you're actually having lessons on public roads and then raise any concerns here.
Something that slightly concerns me is that you might try to be too "AD". By that I mean, just accept what you're told to do for the test, don't argue based upon what you've read here or elsewhere.
Pass test, then AD.

Some very good advice here. You will probably find that once you get out on the public roads, other drivers will be behaving in strange and unpredictable ways. The most useful AD lesson you can learn even at this stage is observation. :shock:

Stuff will be happening all around you, and you only have your eyes to take in the information. Even when being driven, use the time to soak up what is going on around you. Observe and analyse. Comment to yourself about what you are seeing (don't do it out loud, you may be asked to get out and walk ...)
Jim
Offshore Engineer and Master of Music
triquet

Next

Return to Learner Driver Forum