New Learner test to be trialled

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby gannet » Tue May 12, 2015 9:10 am

waremark wrote:Don't you mind blocking the vent? I have always been happy positioning a satnav at the base of the screen. In my current car I have it in the bottom right corner, where it is least obscured by the heated windscreen which causes poor reception. I would be happy with suction mounts if only they continued to work as well as they do when new.

Vent is only slightly blocked in the DS3 - but by the phone not by the mount. If I have the phone in landscape it wouldn't block at all. They also do a mount for my car which fixes to the a-pillar which wouldn't block either.

the position for our new MINI is to the left of the main speedo and again below the vents, but I doubt we will get one for that car as it comes with NAV etc all built in.
-- Gannet.
Membership Secretary, East Surrey Group of Advanced Motorists
Driving: Citroen DS3 DSport 1.6THP / MINI Cooper Coupe :D
Riding: Airnimal Joey Sport... (helps with the commute into London during the week!)
ImageImage
gannet

Postby akirk » Tue May 12, 2015 9:27 am

agreed - minor issue - though in the Z3 you have to be careful not to get the satnav too hot if the heater is on... much prefer it there to in my vision - again, with the z3, you have a smallish windscreen and the mirror is too big already - so a satnav would create a major block below it - would agree that at the base of the A-pillar would be less issue, but like it in the centre so that passengers can also see it...

with the skoda coming in the next few weeks I will wait and see if the built in satnav is any good before deciding what to do...

Alasdair
akirk

Previous

Return to Learner Driver Forum