New Learner test to be trialled

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby Slink_Pink » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:47 pm

Kimosabe wrote:Regarding reverse parking eg. at a supermarket, on a high street with non-parallel bays (can't think of their correct name).... If I reverse parked at a supermarket, I'd have to:

1. leave my full shopping trolley near the car while I...
2. get in the car drive it out of the bay and park across the neighbouring cars (at which point someone else could be trying to park in the vacant bay and I could be blocking other drivers in).
3. put my shopping in the boot.
4. push my empty trolley across a busy car park and leave it in the trolley shelter.
5. walk back across a car park to my car, which can be unsafe at the best of times especially when it's dark and raining.

If I park nose in first, I don't have to do any of that, except the last bit before reversing out of the bay after a short note on the horn and hazard lights, so how is that less safe?

Regarding Sat Navs My Landrover Satnav requires an input which states that I 'agree' to not be distracted by it and some other small print which I never read. The other option is 'cancel' and that switches it orf. Some Satnavs won't allow any driver input while the car is moving but this can be overridden.

Edited for grammatical irregularities.

Not quite sure what you mean by non-parallel bays - are they the nose-to-tail (series) or parallel but at an angle?

I think the dangerous parts are (i) reversing into a roadway where the pedestrians stray everywhere and have priorities other than looking out for reversing cars (I don't think I need to list them); and (ii) that classic situation of other drivers reversing/driving into your path/vehicle due to their lack of observation.

There is also the added benefit of fuel saving by performing the low speed manoeuvres when the engine is warmed from your arrival journey rather than the slightly less efficient time when your engine has just started.
Q: "Need I remind you, 007, that you have a license to kill, not to break the traffic laws."
Slink_Pink

Postby TripleS » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:53 pm

I think a suitable term is echelon, or something like that, though it does have other meanings. :D

Best wishes all,
Dave - with a strong preference for reverse parking.
TripleS

Postby Kimosabe » Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:00 pm

Sorry, yes I didn't describe that very well. I mean the bays at the sides of roads which don't require parallel parking. Sort of herring bone pattern, if that makes more sense? There are some I pass on my way through Storrington just near the mini roundabout.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Sto ... 4363664bd6

I can think of quite a few places in Brighton and around Sussex which have them and reversing into them between parked cars is very difficult because they're angled to be driven into; in other words, towards the oncoming traffic. I'm not saying it can't be done, just that it's easier and safer not to reverse into them.

What I think i'm picking up on is one of those 'we must do it because that's what distinguishes us from ordinary drivers, so let's use the term 'safer' as an unarguable fact'. I'd definitely like to hear more 'it depends' coming from the ranks of IAM and RoSPA because that's what will encourage more discussion and learning.
A wise man once told me that "it depends". I sometimes agree.
Kimosabe

Postby martine » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:47 pm

Here's another example of angled bays on a high street that are positively encouraging drivers to go in forwards and reverse out onto a main road. When it's busy with vehicles either side it's very tricky to reverse out safely. Why don't they angle them the other way so you would drive past and then reverse in (perhaps with a sign to encourage it)?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby akirk » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:06 pm

we have those in a local town - never seen an issue, though plenty of interesting driving...
I tend to just go quite slowly...

angled parking will always be the wrong way for cars coming from one direction or the other...

Alasdair
akirk

Postby revian » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:42 pm

martine wrote:Here's another example of angled bays on a high street that are positively encouraging drivers to go in forwards and reverse out onto a main road. When it's busy with vehicles either side it's very tricky to reverse out safely. Why don't they angle them the other way so you would drive past and then reverse in (perhaps with a sign to encourage it)?

Imagine how sensible and patient those approaching from behind would be...and naturally they would leave a helpful manouvering space.. :roll:

Otherwise I'm addicted, maybe OCD, about reversing into paring spaces...

Ian
Wirral
revian

Postby jont » Wed May 06, 2015 5:06 pm

mefoster wrote:I do hope that the satnav is positioned better than the photo in the article.

Or better still, ask the candidate to position it, and if they do so as in the article it's an immediate fail.

/still think they should be testing whether you can also ignore a clearly stupid instruction.
jont

Postby akirk » Wed May 06, 2015 7:52 pm

that seems to be a standard location for many drivers (other than the ones I have seen with it directly in front of them!)

Alasdair
akirk

Postby martine » Sun May 10, 2015 12:50 pm

mefoster wrote:I do hope that the satnav is positioned better than the photo in the article.

I'm not sure you can tell from this photo whether it's good or bad.

Where do people here, position theirs? Personally, high up, just below the rear view mirror or if I have a passenger then well over to the left out of the way - so they can operate it.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby chrisl » Sun May 10, 2015 1:36 pm

Where do people here, position theirs?

Bottom right of windscreen on an extended swan neck to bring it forward level with the dashboard - so it's in the same focal plane as the other instruments.
chrisl

Postby akirk » Sun May 10, 2015 2:30 pm

I use Brodit Proclips:
http://www.brodit.com/proclip.html
they are brilliant - they cause no damage to the car (ideal for leased cars) and they are sensible about where they sit - meaning that vision is maintained - in both the Z3 and the Kuga it sits above the radio, using the air vents - it clips in - as my tomtom is magetic it is very simple to slip it on / off... I don't bother wiring the power in, but you could do easily...

Alasdair
akirk

Postby jont » Sun May 10, 2015 3:30 pm

mefoster wrote:
martine wrote:

I'm not sure you can tell from this photo whether it's good or bad.

Where do people here, position theirs?

If there is no other option and it absolutely has to be on the screen then it goes as far bottom right as possible. Otherwise always on the dash, below the level of the screen.

The worst that I have seen was half way up the screen, in line with the steering column, at night, with the nav screen in daytime mode. It was a wonder they could see anything outside at all.

Why would you need to? The satnav tells you where the road goes :roll:
jont

Postby akirk » Sun May 10, 2015 4:22 pm

jont wrote:Why would you need to? The satnav tells you where the road goes :roll:

to be fair I have done the road from Dundee, cross-country to just west of Aberdeen with a friend in his Subaru Impreza, at 2 in the morning and in fog - navigating based on the satnav - interesting journey, especially when you find a hump-back bridge 10 yards ahead of you at 'ahem' speeds...

Alasdair
akirk

Postby gannet » Mon May 11, 2015 1:54 pm

akirk wrote:I use Brodit Proclips:
http://www.brodit.com/proclip.html
they are brilliant - they cause no damage to the car (ideal for leased cars) and they are sensible about where they sit - meaning that vision is maintained - in both the Z3 and the Kuga it sits above the radio, using the air vents - it clips in - as my tomtom is magetic it is very simple to slip it on / off... I don't bother wiring the power in, but you could do easily...

Alasdair

another vote for brodit mounting systems here - always positioned well out of view but just a glance away.

I do despair at some peoples' positioning of them though - that which says to anyone looking on that the most important thing they are doing in the car is looking at the nav screen :evil:
-- Gannet.
Membership Secretary, East Surrey Group of Advanced Motorists
Driving: Citroen DS3 DSport 1.6THP / MINI Cooper Coupe :D
Riding: Airnimal Joey Sport... (helps with the commute into London during the week!)
ImageImage
gannet

Postby waremark » Tue May 12, 2015 12:20 am

Don't you mind blocking the vent? I have always been happy positioning a satnav at the base of the screen. In my current car I have it in the bottom right corner, where it is least obscured by the heated windscreen which causes poor reception. I would be happy with suction mounts if only they continued to work as well as they do when new.
waremark

PreviousNext

Return to Learner Driver Forum