New Learner test to be trialled

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby martine » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:50 pm

Readers here might be interested to know a new driving test is to be trialled early next year at selected test centres. The changes are intended to make the test more realistic.

It includes:

• use of a satellite navigation system (during the independent driving bit)
  • different manoeuvres (e.g. reversing out of a parking bay)
  • ‘show me tell me’ questions on the move (e.g. switch the rear window heater on)

The learner will have the option of the new or existing test.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby WhoseGeneration » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:20 pm

martine wrote:Readers here might be interested to know a new driving test is to be trialled early next year at selected test centres. The changes are intended to make the test more realistic.

It includes:

• use of a satellite navigation system (during the independent driving bit)
  • different manoeuvres (e.g. reversing out of a parking bay)
  • ‘show me tell me’ questions on the move (e.g. switch the rear window heater on)

The learner will have the option of the new or existing test.

But not, presumably, to echo a thread here, "Explain how the safety systems on this car will operate when needed".
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:50 pm

Perhaps I'll be one of the possible candidates for this test, as my theoretical test date is somewhere around February/March!

I wouldn't mind being tested on my ability to use a sat-nav, I use them rather well ;)
TheInsanity1234

Postby WhoseGeneration » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:36 am

TheInsanity1234 wrote:Perhaps I'll be one of the possible candidates for this test, as my theoretical test date is somewhere around February/March!

I wouldn't mind being tested on my ability to use a sat-nav, I use them rather well ;)

We olduns never had an option of map reading ability.
Perhaps it's all about preparing the population for driverless cars?
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby waremark » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:50 am

Sounds sensible, and good that they are piloting it.

Can you use any satnav? With or without spoken directions? Mounted wherever you choose?

What is assessed? Presumably your ability to drive safely while following the satnav's directions. An interesting byproduct is that you may not be on the examiner's choice of route.
waremark

Postby jont » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:34 pm

I hope the sat nav tests includes checking whether drivers can sensibly place it such that it doesn't obstruct their view, and failing them when they get it wrong. I'd also like it to give some clearly stupid instructions, and again, ensure that drivers are capable of deciding for themselves whether a manoeuvre is safe and legal.
jont

Postby fungus » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:13 pm

mefoster wrote:The reversing out of a parking space sounds like yet more catering to the lowest common denominator. Rather than teach, emphasise and test the much safer reverse-in parking, they resign themselves to people's laziness. Too much effort I guess. By testing reverse-out they are legitimising the potentially more dangerous manoeuvre. "Well it's on the driving test so it must be right".

They already test a candidates ability to reverse into a parking bay, all be it one with nothing either side. As only one manoeuvre is tested it is realy pot luck which one a candidate gets.

If they want to make the test more real life like, the left reverse should be ammended to what most drivers do, all be it badly, and that is to reverse into a position near the centre line, finishing only just inside the road in the right turn position, so as to be able to drive off to the right. And as for what I saw one instructor doing last week, I fail to see the reason. He pulled up about three car lengths beyond the junction before starting a left reverse. I get mine to pull up just beyond the junction almost at point of turn so that they can see into the junction, and I've never had a problem with it.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby martine » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:49 pm

Re reversing out of a bay: think supermarkets where you need access to boot...most people will drive in forwards - the trial is an attempt to make it more realistic.

Satnav: not sure but I imagine the examiner will supply a satnav and program it...it's more a test of following the directions on screen and spoken, while keeping safe
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:19 pm

My only concern with the new system is the possibility of being requested to demonstrate how to operate something upon request whilst driving.

How do they expect me to look over to the instructor so I can lipread what he's saying while I'm driving?
TheInsanity1234

Postby waremark » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:14 am

martine wrote:Re reversing out of a bay: think supermarkets where you need access to boot...most people will drive in forwards - the trial is an attempt to make it more realistic.

Satnav: not sure but I imagine the examiner will supply a satnav and program it...it's more a test of following the directions on screen and spoken, while keeping safe

I think that would be less appropriate than expecting the candidate to use a device with which they have practiced. Following directions on an unfamiliar satnav is far more difficult than following directions on a familiar one. Presumably it will become normal for instructors to have satnavs in their teaching cars.
waremark

Postby TripleS » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:44 am

mefoster wrote:The reversing out of a parking space sounds like yet more catering to the lowest common denominator. Rather than teach, emphasise and test the much safer reverse-in parking, they resign themselves to people's laziness. Too much effort I guess. By testing reverse-out they are legitimising the potentially more dangerous manoeuvre. "Well it's on the driving test so it must be right".

I agree with Jon about the SatNavs too. Anyone that places the device on the screen, directly in their field of vision should be failed. Everyone else should be prosecuted for the same offence. I saw one the other day where it was directly in front of the driver. Literally in line with the steering column, half way up the windscreen. Oh, and it was dark and the screen was in full-bright daytime mode. Never a copper around when you need one. :( </rant> Sorry, pet hate.

The last one - operating a named control upon instruction - I agree with. It makes perfect sense that they should be familiar with the location of all the important switches and capable of using them without being distracted.

Yep, I agree with all that. I must be in a good mood this morning: don't cock it up for me, eh? :lol:
TripleS

Postby Astraist » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:55 am

mefoster wrote:I agree with Jon about the SatNavs too. Anyone that places the device on the screen, directly in their field of vision should be failed. Everyone else should be prosecuted for the same offence. I saw one the other day where it was directly in front of the driver. Literally in line with the steering column, half way up the windscreen. Oh, and it was dark and the screen was in full-bright daytime mode. Never a copper around when you need one. :( </rant> Sorry, pet hate.

Indeed, plus it will hit you in the face after a collision. SatNav's built into the car by the manufacturer are ideal.

Without it, it can be stowed and used while relying on voice commands only, or it can be placed on the lower corner of the windscreen on the driver's side, which much reduces the obstruction, stabilizes the mounting and, in a collision, would leave it wedged behind the airbag.
Astraist

Postby jont » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:00 pm

Astraist wrote:Indeed, plus it will hit you in the face after a collision. SatNav's built into the car by the manufacturer are ideal.

Not entirely. Many seem to be placed well down the centre console, such that looking at them means looking well away from the road. Those with screens on the top of the dash are pretty good though.
jont

Postby akirk » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:27 pm

chriskay wrote:
Astraist wrote: SatNav's built into the car by the manufacturer are ideal.

Except that the dealers want a small fortune to update them.

and they are almost universally non-intuitive / expensive to add / give you patronising messages about safety every time you switch them on (yes, I confirmed that yesterday and the last 3,000 times!)

the only advantage I have seen is when they have the turns and core info repeated in the dashboard (or I suspect in fancier cars in a HUD)

much prefer the simplicity, accuracy and very intuitive nature of a TomTom - and it is cheaper and free to update...

Alasdair
akirk

Postby Kimosabe » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:02 pm

Regarding reverse parking eg. at a supermarket, on a high street with non-parallel bays (can't think of their correct name).... If I reverse parked at a supermarket, I'd have to:

1. leave my full shopping trolley near the car while I...
2. get in the car drive it out of the bay and park across the neighbouring cars (at which point someone else could be trying to park in the vacant bay and I could be blocking other drivers in).
3. put my shopping in the boot.
4. push my empty trolley across a busy car park and leave it in the trolley shelter.
5. walk back across a car park to my car, which can be unsafe at the best of times especially when it's dark and raining.

If I park nose in first, I don't have to do any of that, except the last bit before reversing out of the bay after a short note on the horn and hazard lights, so how is that less safe?

Regarding Sat Navs My Landrover Satnav requires an input which states that I 'agree' to not be distracted by it and some other small print which I never read. The other option is 'cancel' and that switches it orf. Some Satnavs won't allow any driver input while the car is moving but this can be overridden.

Edited for grammatical irregularities.
A wise man once told me that "it depends". I sometimes agree.
Kimosabe

Next

Return to Learner Driver Forum