Choosing a first car

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby Slink_Pink » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:53 pm

A friend has asked where the best place to get a first car is? Putting aside which car, for someone who has minimal knowledge in cars and is really just looking to get one after passing test, where would the right place be. My feelings are:

Franchised dealers obviously charge much more than other places, but perhaps offer a good solution in terms of being able to offer warranties/servicing packages. A good dealer can offer an outstanding level of service and be a pleasure to use.

Non-franchised dealers are less expensive but offer a similar service (used vehicle checks, etc), albeit not tailored to the specific make of vehicle.

Private is the third option, of which I have no experience, but in my mind carries the greatest risk for the unknowing purchaser with potentially the lowest price.

Cost is also a concern, as always, so I'm guessing that the next question I'll face is going to be about finance packages... but that's for another thread!
Q: "Need I remind you, 007, that you have a license to kill, not to break the traffic laws."
Slink_Pink

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:51 pm

I'm going on the assumption that if they're recently passed, they will be about 17 or 18, and consequently, why would they want to have a finance package?!

I've no clue about this, but I'm in this predicament, passed test and looking for a car.

So this thread will be useful for me too.

Look forwards to the replies.
TheInsanity1234

Postby discov8 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:12 pm

Unless you can do your own servicing and repairs buy the youngest aged car with full service history including invoices and receipts with the fewest previous owners that you can find.
Minimum of 9 months MoT ,if applicable.
RAC etc offer prepurchase inspections.
Don't buy the first car you see and drive.
Take a knowledgable friend or relative for advice.
Plenty of advice online on what questions to ask the seller. Good questions over the phone will prevent a lot of wasted time on viewings and test drives.
Subscribe online to parkers to get a realistic price and info pack on the vehicles that are of interest.
Get a hpi etc check before you buy.
Always view the car at the sellers address and vehicle documents have same address.
Make sure registration number and at least two vin numbers match the vehicle documents.
Before you test drive make sure you have insurance and the car has roadtax.

I'll let others add their advice and experiences.

Good luck
discov8

Postby devonutopia » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:40 pm

For a young driver, insurance bracket probably key but I would probably aim for something not worth too much should it be scraped a little - parts relatively inexpensive. Something perhaps the new driver can learn to maintain as no one, not even a new driver, should disregard basic things (i.e POWDERY check). I would also perhaps ensure a car has been owned for a while by previous owner which would lessen risk of being passed off with a trader / fix-me-upper car. Long MOT a good shout. My choice would probably be something like 6N Polo.
Jason - RoSPA advanced driver training about to start!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELWqeeXvAAs 275bhp dyno run video of my car. 300 is in reach!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R5c496IG1Q Skoda Fabia 2260vk in-car acceleration video!
devonutopia

Postby akirk » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:42 pm

An alternative view - if you have a good trustworthy independent garage near you, ask them to keep an eye out for you, I have bought a couple of cars that route - both £1,000 and both very good - they tend to be in a network of folks who know where good cars are coming up before they are put up for sale...

Alasdair
akirk

Postby jont » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:07 am

What's the budget?

If it's a low budget, there's little point giving dealers a big fraction of it.

From my experience, main dealers provide little extra piece of mind for a lot more cost, and I've seen some shockingly bad cars at them. Aftermarket warranties can be bought probably for less (though watch the exclusions). Also watch out for extras at vast markup, such as GAP protection, supaguard (or other paint "treatments") etc etc.

Dealers also have a nasty habit of prepping a car as cheaply as possible - eg fitting ditchfinder tyres (and quite possibly mismatched left/right or front/back). So don't be taken in by lots of tread and some polish.

Independents are a very mixed bag - some good, some less so. Buying privately can be a risk, but AA/RAC inspections might actually be more cost effective than buying via a dealer.

Service history is good, but a folder full of receipts is better. Check when major services (eg cambelts) might next be due and that the previous one has actually been done.

Finance - lots of options, but almost certainly cheaper to arrange your own than take a dealers offer. The only exception might be on a new car where manufacturers can often offer a big subsidy on the car price and a low rate APR - sometimes even if you have cash it's worth taking the finance deal then pay it off after the first month.
jont

Return to Learner Driver Forum