Practical driving advice

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby makeupcareer » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:06 am

Am sorry for this long email am about to write. I am at the middle of deciding what the way forward is in passing my driving test. I will try to keep it simple and short as possible.
I have done my driving test for 6 times now with 1 major fault and about 2 minor fault for them all.
The first one I failed for moving off
the second test, i failed for lane discipline on a big roundabout.
the third test at a cross road junction as i was about to move a large van was over speeding and came fast to the junction. my bad again because i was slow to move or would have just waited well for the road to get clear before moving.
the fourth test it was an early morning one and a cyclist was in front of me which i over took but unfortunately the examiner said i didnt leave enough room for the cyclist when passing of which i thought i did because i was also considering the road because it was a 20 zone.
the fifth test i got failed on independent drive. i was told to turn right at the 3rd exit but i went to the middle lane approaching the roundabout so i could exit the roundabount being the first on the left but unfortunately for me the type of roundabout is just a different one.
the 6th test i did was at the roundabout of cribbscauseway whereby i exited the roundabout being on the right of which i did that becuase i was using the next right at the roundabout so i decided to stay there but unfortunately for me i failed because i was told i held up traffic.

This is so depressing for me but i am trying to be strong and give it my best till i pass. By the way i have an instructor who thinks am ready for the test but at the end of the test i keep having little thing as a mistake.
My question is : Do you think i should change my test centre as my husband suggested i do because i virtually know most of the test route and yet i still fail the test.
Also i need to figure out what the problem is as i have done alot of practice on my own so i can say the confidence is there as i have a car of my own and i still use the instructor for mock test.
Also do you reckon i get a new instructor maybe that can figure out what my problem is?

Please advice me.

Thank you
makeupcareer

Postby RobC » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:48 am

Having had a lot of private practice and six tests it does sound like you could possibly be over familiar with test routes as on your last test you imply that you exited a roundabout in the right lane as you knew where you were going. Positioning on roundabouts do seem to be an issue having had featured in three tests and a second opinion from another instructor wouldn't do any harm.
Do you feel that you drive your own car better than the instructors and if so have you considered taking the test in your car? Have you discussed taking the test at another centre with your instructor and are you having private practice in areas other than around test routes where you have taken your test?

Lots of videos on the internet made by driving instructors on any aspect of driving for example [ url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PirgrfzDRBY&feature=youtu.be[/url]
National Safe Driving Enterprise CIC
RobC

Postby makeupcareer » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:02 am

Thank you RobC.i tried using my car twice now however I don't think the car is the problem.i think because am familiar with the place then makes me want to get it very right which then makes me do some things in a wrong way.Do you think changing the test route to somewhere new would help further but then I said to myself I if the instructor takes me round again I will still know the route eitherways because it is always advised to practice the route.
Also I drive other area aside from the test route however I also want to start going to new places have never been to.

Thank you
makeupcareer

Postby RobC » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:52 am

When I taught learners I didn't teach exact test routes, only some of the more challenging parts of test routes because the pupil can become over familiar with test routes and some test routes are similar but not identical and the pupil may go on to autopilot on the route they assume they are following.
I always took my pupils on a variety of roads and in different towns, not just where they would be taking their test.

Having taken 6 tests at the same test centre it may be a idea to choose another test centre but the benefit is more likely to be that you may feel better going elsewhere since the test standard is the same. You should in any case be able to drive anywhere in the country as you will be able to do this immediately on passing.

It could be an idea to try a lesson with another instructor who uses another test centre and have him conduct a mock test in that area. This will give yourself and the instructor a good idea of the standard of your driving. You can then work on any areas that are highlighted.

Most of all don't give up. The driving test is not easy to pass, examiners expect a high standard of driving and you will be a better driver when you pass because of the extra training and experience you are gaining!
RobC

Postby makeupcareer » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:23 pm

Thank you so much Rob I really appreciate.i have booked for another instructor then I will take it from there.i will keep you posted and also take your advice on board.
makeupcareer

Postby RobC » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:49 pm

It would be good to know how you get on!
I must have sat in over 100 driving tests so I know what you're going through and I'm always happy to help if I can! Rob
RobC

Return to Learner Driver Forum