New to driving am I changing up gears right?

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby jadder » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:46 pm

Hi
I'm new to driving, and was just wondering whether I'm changing gear right? In order, I:
1 release the gas pedal
2 push clutch pedal all the way to the floor
3 change gear to 2nd
4 add a small bit of gas, while the clutch pedal is still fully on the floor
5 then slowly release the clutch pedal

My question is: is this the right away to do it, won't it damage the clutch

Thankyou
jadder

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:13 pm

Welcome jadder.

The clutch is an interface between two rotating shafts - the crankshaft in the engine, and the input shaft in the gearbox. The least wear on the clutch is induced when the clutch is engaged with both sides rotating at the same speed. There are many ways of achieving this. Typically when changing UP, it's not too hard. The gear ratios are chosen such that the engine speed in each successive gear is a reasonably consistent drop from the gear before, often around 500 rpm.

When you declutch (press down on the clutch pedal), while simultaneously releasing the accelerator (either partially or completely) the engine speed naturally falls. If you time your gear change right, the change in revs will match the gap between the gear ratios, and you won't have to do anything with your accelerator foot to match it.

First to second is the hardest up change in the gearbox. The key to this one is to take your time, and let the engine speed fall sufficiently so that it matches the new gear. This can take a couple of seconds, so just count "one", "two", as you move the gear lever slowly between first and second.

If your car has a rev counter, you can monitor this easily yourself. As you bring the clutch back up, watch the needle of the rev counter. If it jumps up, then the engine speed has fallen too far while you were changing gear, and you need to add a little right foot to keep the revs from falling too much while you move the gear lever. If it drops down, then you've been too enthusiastic with the right foot, and you need to use less pressure on the accelerator. If either of these are significant, you will feel a judder through your clutch foot, and possibly a lurch from the car as you re-engage the clutch. If it's a sensation like applying the brakes, then you didn't use enough accelerator. If it feels like the car suddenly leaps forward, then you used too much.

When changing DOWN, the technique is many times harder, because as you remove your foot from the accelerator to brake, the engine speed falls again, but this time you're engaging a lower gear, which requires HIGHER engine speed to match the road speed and hence the speed of the gearbox input shaft. Here you DO need some pressure on the accelerator, either as a sustained input, where you simply keep a constant pressure on the pedal, or as a "blip" or "boost", where you give the pedal a prod, just before you bring the clutch up. Once again, you can use the same technique with the rev counter to monitor your success.

Hope this helps a little. When you have been practising for a while, you'll find your ear, and your instinct, take over from the rev counter as a way of gauging the amount of accelerator input required.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby jadder » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:28 pm

Thankyou
jadder

Postby RobC » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:03 am

jadder wrote:Hi
I'm new to driving, and was just wondering whether I'm changing gear right? In order, I:
1 release the gas pedal
3 change gear to 2nd

Thankyou

Hi jadder

You shouldn't be adding gas in 4 above. Having gas/revs whilst bringing the clutch up can wear the clutch plates.

1 release the gas pedal
2 push clutch pedal down below the biting point (or all the way to the floor)
3 change gear to 2nd
4 clutch up, (slowly when at the biting point)
5 add gas when clutch is fully up

Rob
National Safe Driving Enterprise CIC
RobC

Postby fungus » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:18 pm

RobC wrote:
1 release the gas pedal
3 change gear to 2nd

Thankyou

Hi jadder

You shouldn't be adding gas in 4 above. Having gas/revs whilst bringing the clutch up can wear the clutch plates.

1 release the gas pedal
3 change gear to 2nd

Rob

Number one and two should be done together as Mr CW said.
If you release the gas pedal before depressing the clutch pedal, you introduce engine braking, which makes the gear change jerky. The secret is to smoothly release the gas pedal as you depress the clutch so that the engine revs drop gently.

As Rob C said, you shouldn't be introducing gas when changing up for the reason stated. You will also get a power surge as the clutch plates come together.

Mr CW has explained the reasons why gas is, or is not used, well. The sustained rev down change is actually relitively easy, and does make down changes much smoother. I teach my learners to do it by talking through the procedure. I find the best way to start is with the car being driven on the flat neither gaining, or losing speed and the gas pedal only lighly pressed. Maintaining the same pressure on the gas pedal depress the clutch pedal engage the gear and smoothly realease the clutch. As with any gear change, do not rush.

I hope our explanations have helped you understand gear changes better.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby RobC » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:42 pm

RobC wrote:
1 release the gas pedal
3 change gear to 2nd

Thankyou

Hi jadder

1 release the gas pedal
3 change gear to 2nd

Rob

1 and 2 and also 4 and 5 are almost simultaneous but on a first lesson most learners find it easier to separate the actions into 5 steps particularly as there is no need to rush gear changes. As a driver becomes more proficient they wont even think about the gear changing process as it will become second nature.

Rob
National Safe Driving Enterprise CIC
RobC

Postby sussex2 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:23 am

1 release the gas pedal
3 change gear to 2nd

Thankyou

It's good that you are learning, but remember you are learning and whether you are causing wear to the clutch shouldn't be a huge concern.
The quality of modern car parts is high and clutches are included in that. I can't remember the last time I replaced one but it would be back in the days of yore when these things weren't made so well.
As has been suggested take your time with the gearchange. It's a good idea to pause briefly as the lever passes through the neutral position; this gives the mechanism a chance to catch up.
I'm not bothered about the old Romanians and Bulgarians but the Old Etonians scare me rigid.
sussex2

Postby triquet » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:12 am

And when you've changed gear (up or down), take the foot completely off the clutch pedal. Don't leave it resting even ever so lightly. This is what kills clutches. :mrgreen:
Jim
Offshore Engineer and Master of Music
triquet

Postby sussex2 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:33 am

triquet wrote:And when you've changed gear (up or down), take the foot completely off the clutch pedal. Don't leave it resting even ever so lightly. This is what kills clutches. :mrgreen:

Indeed it is! It's not a footrest :D
I'm not bothered about the old Romanians and Bulgarians but the Old Etonians scare me rigid.
sussex2

Postby ChristianAB » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:36 pm

May I enquire what you drive?
Some cars need...ahem...adjustments...for best result when changing gears.
ChristianAB

Return to Learner Driver Forum