Advice required on instruction/instructor please

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby Nardobd » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:02 pm

Back in April I booked an intensive driving course for this week (40 hours plus test). To give me a head-start I also wanted to do lessons leading up to the course, but the instructor that I had booked the intensive course with wasn't available on Saturdays and I work during the week. I therefore took approximately 10 lessons with another instructor ("Jeff"). Driving with Jeff, I went from a complete non-driver to "basic driving at a novice standard, although needing improvement" (Jeff's words).

I started with the intensive instructor on Saturday and then again yesterday and today. These were long sessions (4 hours Saturday and 6 hours each yesterday and today) and I get the feeling that this instructor doesn't want to let me drive. Whenever I go to press the brake to slow down for a junction or roundabout, there's no pedal because the instructor has already depressed it. When I go to clutch for gear-change it's already been depressed by the instructor. This makes me panic because I think my feet are missing the pedal and I therefore am thinking more about that than preparing for the junction etc. I asked about this and he says that I "don't brake early enough" so he does it. However, he never says to brake before I try to do so.

There's been several other incidents - he told me to overtake a van with the engine running and brake lights on. Although I had misgivings I did as I was told and almost drove into another learner - the van-driver had courteously stopped to give the learner time to do a manoeuvre.

I was told to overtake a bus at a bus-stop on a bend and did so, only to find oncoming traffic. I just squeaked through by gunning the engine.

Jeff had taught me to drive approximately a metre away from the kerb. When I do this my intensive instructor calls me a "kerb-hugger" and wants me to drive almost at the centre-line of the road.

Driving through an estate I have been criticised for slowing down to less than 10 miles an hour. When I explained that this was because there was a dog not on a leash, the instructor just said "Oh, well pick up the speed now then".

I was pulling out of a 20 mph zone into a main route with a 40mph limit and there was an oncoming car. I wasn't sure that I could not only get into the road but up to speed before hindering the driver of the oncoming car, making him slow down, so I braked. The instructor shouted at me that I had "plenty of time to get round". I therefore turned the corner and sure enough the oncoming driver was right up my backside before I had time to get up to speed. He was understandably impatient with me.

I have a test booked for Friday but this instructor says that I'm not ready....well I have another 20+ hours of tuition yet. He's telling me at this stage that he won't let me use the car for the test.

I've asked whether he works with any other instructors (he doesn't). I have tried to broach the subject politely but he just keeps slapping me down and telling me that he's the instructor and he has 34 years experience. HELP!!!
Nardobd

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:40 pm

That sounds like a horrendous instructor, and they are clearly not teaching you how to drive.

I'd be reporting the instructor to the relevant ombudsman ASAP, as the instructor appears to be encouraging you to take major risks, and pressuring you into driving at a slightly risky pace.

My driving instructor also never took over the controls, he would always prompt me to do something if I wasn't doing it, and he only ever resorted to the dual controls as an extreme measure.

I'd be demanding a refund after one session if the instructor is being as rude as you say they are.

Get your money back for any unused hours, and go somewhere else.
TheInsanity1234

Postby jcochrane » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:34 pm

Sounds like a change of instructor is in order.

Certainly there is need for the instructor to cover the pedals but the trick is to keep your feet just a fraction above the pedals They're there just in case the pupil gets it wrong . It took me a very short time to get the hang of this (but the very first time I took a paying learner out when I was being trained I did make the mistake that your instructor did) but 34 years and still not yet mastered? :shock:
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby fungus » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:13 pm

Check that he is licenced. He should be displaying a badge with a green octagonal symbol and the expiry date printed across it. On the rear side there should be his photograph, certificate number and his ADI number. If he is not displaying this badge he is beeaking the law taking money for tuition, and should be reported to the DVSA fo investigation.

Sounds to me as if he would get a very low mark on his standards test and may not be around for too long.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby TripleS » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:09 pm

jcochrane wrote:....34 years and still not yet mastered? :shock:

Yeah, but at least you're still working on it. That's more commendable than them as reckons they know all there is to know and won't be told owt. :lol:
TripleS

Postby martine » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:36 pm

I would rearrange your test, find another instructor and ask for a refund of the hours you have left. You are the customer...you're not happy and rightly wish to take your business elsewhere. If he starts being difficult, say you'll take your dispute to the local trading standards and you'll inform the DVSA as well.

Good luck.

You probably don't need me to say but many in the industry think intensive driving courses are not a good way to learn. In Bristol a national company called '5day' have opened a centre...they've had 3 centre managers since January :shock:
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby jcochrane » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:11 pm

TripleS wrote:
jcochrane wrote:....34 years and still not yet mastered? :shock:

Yeah, but at least you're still working on it. That's more commendable than them as reckons they know all there is to know and won't be told owt. :lol:

Actually I was referring to the instructor in the posts. :D
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:17 pm

Pssssst - he knows that! :P
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Nardobd » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:14 pm

Thank you all for your input. I have cancelled test for the time being and stopped driving lessons. Will go back to my previous instructor. He refused to refund anything so I am going to Trading Standards and DVSA as well as taking a private legal action against him.

Nicki
Nardobd

Postby akirk » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:37 pm

I would suggest holding back on the private legal action until you have some good advice - it might not be straight forward to prove anything beyond the two of you not getting on...

DVSA and possibly citizens advice bureau might be a good starting point

Alasdair
akirk

Return to Learner Driver Forum