black box insurance ????

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby jadder » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:26 pm

hey guys,

So I've recently passed my driving test, and I've used confused.com to find some quotes. I have a quote for my nissan micra celebration 2000. Now, I looked yesterday and got another quote today, and the quote today was more expensive. Please could someone tell me what causes this increase? Do you think it will decrease if I check it tomorrow?

Thankyou
jadder

Postby Laurence Jacquemin » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:59 pm

How much was the difference?

If it was just a few pounds it is likely to be a rate change, like how exchange rates change regularly, if it is a large amount it seems a little unusual, maybe double check you have entered the same details, perhaps you added a named driver on the first quote and not on the second one?

Also have a look at Marmalade insurance they do blackbox insurance for young driver I don't believe they are on comparison sites, they may offer a cheaper quote http://www.wearemarmalade.co.uk/?guid=31FE27A6E21C4F45980481B479E8448B

Also try other comparison sites, I like the one where you get a free meerkat! Much better than a free robot toy or annoying opera singer. Some comparison sites charge more commission to the insurance than other, therefore meaning there can be a price difference. I have even found that if you find the insurance company on a comparison site and then get a quote directly with the insurer the quote can be cheaper (possibly as they don't have to pay commission to the comparison site)
DVSA ADI (www.drivingcrawley.co.uk)
IAM Masters, DIAmond Advanced, RoSPA Gold
Laurence Jacquemin

Postby Laurence Jacquemin » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:00 pm

P.S. well done on passing your driving test, were you as nervous as expected?
Laurence Jacquemin

Postby Angus » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:08 pm

Did you get the initial quote yesterday or Sunday? Typically rates will change on the first of the month.

The comparison sites tend to give pretty similar quotes, but as LJ says commission varies. Also, some of the comparison sites own/are owned by some of the companies that they quote.

Does Marmalade just do insurance now? Originally the insurance was dovetailed into finance on a new/nearly new car on the basis that a youngster would take more care of a new(ish) car
Angus

Postby Laurence Jacquemin » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:15 pm

Angus wrote:Does Marmalade just do insurance now? Originally the insurance was dovetailed into finance on a new/nearly new car on the basis that a youngster would take more care of a new(ish) car

Yes they do learner insurance, new driver insurance and finance on a new car which insurance a years free insurance.

Meet with one of the Marmalade reps over a year ago who explained how it all worked.
Laurence Jacquemin

Postby paul adams » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:52 am

I've been told Marmalade car insurance for learners is very competitive, which makes a change! It was around 20% cheaper than another leading insurer (the name which I now forget!)
paul adams

Return to Learner Driver Forum