Just passed test but finding it hard to park!!!

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby jadder » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:16 pm

Hey guys,
Recently, I have just started to drive a new car, after passing my driving test. But I've noticed that my gear changes are terrible still after driving for 4 days in it. And also I'm finding it so hard to park, you know into a parking space, both forward and backwards, I know I need to practise but can anyone offer any tips they use for parking straight and within the white lines?
Thankyou :D
jadder

Postby Laurence Jacquemin » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:52 pm

Going forwards into space swing wide before turning in. So if the space is on the left go out wide to the right (onto other side of road when safe) and swing it, it will give you a better angle to get in. Apart form that just practice.

Going backwards, how did you learn to do it with your instructor? Just curious why this is not working on your car?
DVSA ADI (www.drivingcrawley.co.uk)
IAM Masters, DIAmond Advanced, RoSPA Gold
Laurence Jacquemin

Postby Laurence Jacquemin » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:56 pm

In terms of gear changes use your pedals in the same way you would move off, just before the clutch comes to bite add gas, when you get bite hold the clutch still for a second and then smoothly lift it the final bit.

A lumpy gear change is either clutch too quick, not any gas or incorrect speed. If it is the later then you need to get use to the gear ratios on your car. To do this you could go to a quiet and flat stretch of road go into a gear and come off gas and see what the speed goes to, that is the ideal speed for the gear. For example on my car gear two is around 8mph, gear one about 4 mph. If you go into gear one above 4 mph then it is much more likely to be lumpy.
DVSA ADI (www.drivingcrawley.co.uk)
IAM Masters, DIAmond Advanced, RoSPA Gold
Laurence Jacquemin

Postby TerryTibbs » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:04 pm

All trial and error. When I first passed my test, I was terrified of parking. No idea why, it was always my strongest point. My instructor would always take the Micky out of me because within 10 hours of lessons I could park like I've been driving for years, yet sometimes failed to do basic things like navigate roundabouts, signals and stuff like that :?

I always tend to find a reference point on my car when reverse parking. Might mean going to a car park on your own or with a friend when it's quiet (in the late evening, for example) and try stuff out, looking to see when a certain point of your car lines up with one of the lines being a good time to stop. Might even choose to put a little sticker somewhere as a reference if you're really struggling.

As for forward parking, I just find that practice makes perfect. Do it enough times and you just get the feel of when to turn. Honestly, though, I rarely park forwards these days, find it just as easy to reverse in and it also makes getting out easier and safer, though it's a pain when you want to reverse into a spot but some idiot is right up your backside even though you've signaled to give them an indication that you've found a spot and you wish to pull in (the idea is for them to recognise this and give you some room, but some just pay no notice).
TerryTibbs

Return to Learner Driver Forum