HGV Licence

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving and training for LGV, HGV, PCV, Minibus's etc type vehicles.

Postby ROG » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:32 am

zerocool wrote:
ROG wrote:The young driver scheme requires a person under 21 to work full time for the employer that is sponsoring them. It also restricts the person on that scheme as they can only drive LGVs for that employer.

Yeah i think that person has to be with the company for about 4 years or you have to pay for the licence and training.

An 18 year old can do it under the young driver scheme.
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby ROG » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:14 pm

rileyroswell wrote:you have to wait for turn 21

HGV Training
Not according to that site and the law on LGV ages from 10/09/2009 so credit to them - they got that correct

Q): How old do I need to be before I can apply to be an HGV Driver?
A): Until recently, the minimum age was 21, but since the 10th Sept 09, the age has now been lowered to 18 years old.

That is a BROKER (middleman) site which means the client pays them for the training but they do not do it - they pay another training school that has their own instructors and trucks to do it which usually means the client pays more than they need to.
CAVEAT: - some brokers do have a few of their own trucks but only train in a small area of the UK - the rest of the clients (the majority) are farmed out
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby heeloth » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:43 pm

I think if you're a professional driver, driving a HGV is the way to go. The money is quite high!
heeloth

Postby ROG » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:59 pm

heeloth wrote:I think if you're a professional driver, driving a HGV is the way to go. The money is quite high!

I have seen CE (HGV Class 1 artic) jobs at minimum wage in the last 2 years so perhaps not all rosey!!
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Previous

Return to LGV, HGV, PCV Driving Forum