Flappy plastic on the rear of lorries

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving and training for LGV, HGV, PCV, Minibus's etc type vehicles.

Postby martine » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:06 pm

You know the (often) bright yellow plastic 'signs' on the back or artics and the like...what are they?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby ROG » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:06 pm

:? :? :? got a pic :?:
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby TripleS » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:40 pm

martine wrote:You know the (often) bright yellow plastic 'signs' on the back or artics and the like...what are they?

Are they the ones that say "I hate Yorkie." ?

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby theyoungen » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:13 pm

I believe they're adverts for the maker of the tail-lift. I think they're flappy so that they hang vertically when the tail-lift is in use as well as upright.

All the best,

Tim
L-Test @ 17,
RoSPA Gold @ 18,
Group Chairman @ 19.
HPC @ 20

www.staffsadvanceddriving.co.uk
theyoungen

Postby martine » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:42 am

ROG wrote::? :? :? got a pic :?:

Best I could find is:
http://www.bidwellsselfdrive.co.uk/IMAGES/bidwells%20vans%20(raw)/short%20lorry.jpg
The black/yellow checkered ones on the back.

(don't know why my link...isn't)
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby vannut » Thu May 01, 2008 2:52 pm

chriskay wrote:Hi, Martin; I think if you take the [url]/[/url] out, the link will work. As to the function of the flappy bits, I've always thought they were there to warn other traffic when the tail lift was down, a bit like tying a rag to something overhanging at the back.

Cheers, Chris.

Yup. That's it. When the tail lift is down it's like a thin blade, often at eye height for a car driver. The dangly bits are there to mark the protrusion. :D
vannut

Postby martine » Thu May 01, 2008 4:29 pm

Thanks guys - that makes sense!
martine

Postby Gareth » Thu May 01, 2008 6:09 pm

vannut wrote:That's it. When the tail lift is down it's like a thin blade, often at eye height for a car driver. The dangly bits are there to mark the protrusion. :D

Reminds me, I once spotted a van with the tail lift down driving along the M3, (and with no flappy things). Scary that the car following immediately behind was fairly close ...
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby Renny » Fri May 02, 2008 10:17 am

Yes they are warning flags to indicate the taillift is in use. They are required to comply with European Safety Directive covering the use of taillifts.

Oddly enough, British Manufacturers were initially going to install flashing lights linked to the platform being used, however, the rest of europe just fitted some bits of plastic that flap about when the platform is horizontal :lol:
Renny
MM0KOZ
MSA Scrutineer (Note: Any comments posted here are my own views and not those of the MSA)
BMW 118d Sport Image
Land Rover Discoveryhttp://www.disco3.co.uk
Lotus Elise S2 http://www.scottishelises.com

Renny

Return to LGV, HGV, PCV Driving Forum