Poor Professional Drivers

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving and training for LGV, HGV, PCV, Minibus's etc type vehicles.

Postby martine » Wed May 12, 2010 3:14 pm

vanman wrote:...I could sit behind and wait, but I have a job to do and I do not want to take all B... day doing it. So yes I might get a bit close, not too close (IAM training) but close enough to make my presence obvious.

Is that to intimidate? If it is then it can't be right no matter the circumstances. Pro-drivers aren't above the law or curteous, safe driving...in fact it could be argued they shoud be better than 'the average' (what ever that is).

vanman wrote:...Professional drivers have a job to do it is not just fun or just getting for A to B.

And more to lose.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby 7db » Wed May 12, 2010 5:48 pm

GJD wrote:
7db wrote:If the drivers were really professional wouldn't they plan enough time for the traffic they encounter on their journey?

Are professional drivers in control of how much time is planned for their journeys, or might their employer sometimes do that for them?

Usually they are on piece-work: it's their time they are wasting, not their employers.

Any employer who set a plan which required breaking traffic laws would find themselves open to an aiding abetting counselling and procuring charge. Most obvious example being bus companies setting unrealistic schedules.
7db

Postby heeloth » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:52 pm

superskib wrote:Why is the standard of driving so poor among professionals? Tailgating; ignoring speed limits; lane discipline; lack of consideration for other drivers, cyclists etc; all woefully poor. WHY?

I think that it's because of the arrogance. Good driving is 75% skill and 25% attitude...
heeloth

Postby vonhosen » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:54 pm

heeloth wrote:
superskib wrote:Why is the standard of driving so poor among professionals? Tailgating; ignoring speed limits; lane discipline; lack of consideration for other drivers, cyclists etc; all woefully poor. WHY?

I think that it's because of the arrogance. Good driving is 75% skill and 25% attitude...

I think it's more about attitude than physical skill personally.
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby ExadiNigel » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:12 pm

I agree with the Vanhosen & ChrisKay view - good driving is down to attitude far more than good skill! Someone with the right attitude wont try and drive outside of their level of skill.

Nigel
Ex - ADI & Fleet Trainer, RoADAR Diploma, National Standards Cycling Instructor, ex- Registered Assessor for BTEC in Driving Science, ex-Member RoADAR & IAM, Plymouth, ex - SAFED registered trainer
ExadiNigel

Postby jcochrane » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:16 pm

adiNigel wrote:I agree with the Vanhosen & ChrisKay view - good driving is down to attitude far more than good skill! Someone with the right attitude wont try and drive outside of their level of skill.

Nigel

I'm with you guys.
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby fungus » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:30 pm

jcochrane wrote:
adiNigel wrote:I agree with the Vanhosen & ChrisKay view - good driving is down to attitude far more than good skill! Someone with the right attitude wont try and drive outside of their level of skill.

Nigel

I'm with you guys.

Absolutely.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby TripleS » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:51 am

fungus wrote:
jcochrane wrote:

Nigel

I'm with you guys.

Absolutely.

Is there room for another one aboard this happy ship? 8)

....although I don't know if the percentages are quite right. :P

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Gareth » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:10 am

I'm not sure how a attitude can be attributed to a proportion. Thinking further about the skill aspect, there is the fairly simple to observe mechanical skill, but there is also the much more subtle skill of observation ... does this come into the the skill category or the attitude category, since without the observation to direct it, attitude is of little value.

Thinking only slightly more deeply, there is imagination. It is imagination that, building on observation, suggests possibly hazards that a driver may meet. If imagination is a skill, and if both observation and risk assessment are in place, there is almost no need for attitude as the desire for self-preservation will sort things out in an adequate manner.

I realise that 'assessment, imagination, observation and skill' doesn't make for a snappy sound bite, and including attitude doesn't make it any snappier.
Last edited by Gareth on Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby ExadiNigel » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:11 pm

Gareth wrote:I'm not sure how a attitude can be attributed to a proportion. Thinking further about the skill aspect, there is the fairly simple to observe mechanical skill, but there is also the much more subtle skill of observation ... does this come into the the skill category or the attitude category, since without the observation to direct it, attitude is of little value.....

I would put observation under attitude. One of the things that I usually found lacking in the drivers attending fleet training courses was a lack of observation. They can do it but but choose not to.
Ex - ADI & Fleet Trainer, RoADAR Diploma, National Standards Cycling Instructor, ex- Registered Assessor for BTEC in Driving Science, ex-Member RoADAR & IAM, Plymouth, ex - SAFED registered trainer
ExadiNigel

Postby waremark » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:41 pm

adiNigel wrote:I would put observation under attitude. One of the things that I usually found lacking in the drivers attending fleet training courses was a lack of observation. They can do it but but choose not to.

How do you get them to make a different choice?

My IAM Observing experience suggests that most drivers do not realise how much there is to observe that they are not observing, and when the opportunity is pointed out they quite enjoy observing more - but then people who come to IAM have already taken a positive decision to improve their driving.
waremark

Postby zadocbrown » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:50 pm

TripleS wrote:Is there room for another one aboard this happy ship? 8)

....although I don't know if the percentages are quite right. :P

Best wishes all,
Dave.

I'd say overall driving standard is only as good as the weakest link - for some this is skill, for others attitude. More commonly the latter though.
zadocbrown

Postby ExadiNigel » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:50 pm

waremark wrote:
adiNigel wrote:I would put observation under attitude. One of the things that I usually found lacking in the drivers attending fleet training courses was a lack of observation. They can do it but but choose not to.

How do you get them to make a different choice?....

Conversation. Try to find the right motivation for the individual. There may be a lack of knowledge, they may simply have forgotten something. For another it may be the promise of increased fuel economy. It really does vary between individuals.

Nigel
ExadiNigel

Postby johnadi » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:13 pm

I think the Non Professional drivers concentration on driving than control since they are new and feel confused to drive car and fears always surround them,
johnadi

Postby IVORTHE DRIVER » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:29 am

Hi,

Sort of missed this one by not being online recently but...

I think it all comes back to "defensive" driving...dont put yourself in any situation you cant get out of....truck pulling out on motorway...your looking far enough ahead it should never catch you out!

"narrow power band" on a truck...rubbish, these boys have so much power available with the turbo that they have very little need to change gear at all unless they are running overweight?

As to the percentages, well....if you are not interested in driving and how to do it safely you are always going to be a hazard so I go for attitude 100%, by the same token if its just a job and you dont enjoy it then dont do it!!

Have a nice day :D
Ivor
2.5 Million miles of non-advanced but hopefully safe driving, not ready to quit yet
IVORTHE DRIVER

Previous

Return to LGV, HGV, PCV Driving Forum