Poor Professional Drivers

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving and training for LGV, HGV, PCV, Minibus's etc type vehicles.

Postby ROG » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:20 pm

I know all about left hand drive trucks HERE :shock:
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby Horse » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:32 pm

adiNigel wrote: Another thing to try looking for is the kerb/proximity mirror sited at the top of the door window. This is on the opposite side to the driver.

Good point!

For those not in the know, it's a mirror which is mounted almost horizontally to show the driver what's 'down' from the cab window, rather than 'behind/alongside'. You might see something similar to show the driver what's in front of the cab too, in the blind zone below the dashboard.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby ExadiNigel » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:14 pm

I know it's a bit late Rog, but for others.... Don't pull alongside a lorry until there is sufficient gap ahead for you to get past the lorry, thus minimising the length of time you are alongside.

Nigel
Ex - ADI & Fleet Trainer, RoADAR Diploma, National Standards Cycling Instructor, ex- Registered Assessor for BTEC in Driving Science, ex-Member RoADAR & IAM, Plymouth, ex - SAFED registered trainer
ExadiNigel

Postby ROG » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:27 pm

My situation was that I had got into the safe zone but then my lane slowed and the lane inside with the trucks did not which therefore put a trucks blind spot directly alongside me and just at that point the truck decided to pull out !!

Horse wrote:For those not in the know, it's a mirror which is mounted almost horizontally to show the driver what's 'down' from the cab window, rather than 'behind/alongside'.

ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby ExadiNigel » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:28 am

ROG wrote:My situation was that I had got into the safe zone but then my lane slowed and the lane inside with the trucks did not which therefore put a trucks blind spot directly alongside me and just at that point the truck decided to pull out !!....

You said that no-one stopped for you, did they get the HGV driver who caused the accident? If he came from behind then there is no way he couldn't have seen you unless he was driving without due care etc.

Nigel
Ex - ADI & Fleet Trainer, RoADAR Diploma, National Standards Cycling Instructor, ex- Registered Assessor for BTEC in Driving Science, ex-Member RoADAR & IAM, Plymouth, ex - SAFED registered trainer
ExadiNigel

Postby ROG » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:49 am

adiNigel wrote:
ROG wrote:My situation was that I had got into the safe zone but then my lane slowed and the lane inside with the trucks did not which therefore put a trucks blind spot directly alongside me and just at that point the truck decided to pull out !!....

You said that no-one stopped for you, did they get the HGV driver who caused the accident? If he came from behind then there is no way he couldn't have seen you unless he was driving without due care etc.

Nigel

Never found the driver
IAM surety paid out in full - write off - me happy with them
DWDC - probably
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby superskib » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:15 pm

To get back to my original query; what is it about 'single carriage way, NSL, HGV, 40mph that is misunderstood?
superskib

Postby ROG » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:12 am

superskib wrote:To get back to my original query; what is it about 'single carriage way, NSL, HGV, 40mph that is misunderstood?

Misunderstood by who?
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby TripleS » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:52 am

ROG wrote:
superskib wrote:To get back to my original query; what is it about 'single carriage way, NSL, HGV, 40mph that is misunderstood?

Misunderstood by who?

I imagine it's more often a lack of awareness of what the rules are; or perhaps there is awareness, but an unwillingness to comply. FWIW I think the 40 mph limit for HGVs on SC roads is too low.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby ROG » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:22 pm

TripleS wrote:FWIW I think the 40 mph limit for HGVs on SC roads is too low.

There must be at least one thread a month on this subject by the LGV drivers on www.trucknetuk.com :!:
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby MiniClubmanEstate » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:35 pm

I sometimes wonder why I have lower speed limits in my coach, I can do 63.5Mph (Speed limiter) on a motorway yet on the Edinburgh city bypass I am only allowed to do 60Mph which is a similar road to sections of the M8. In a large vehicle you sit up high and can see much further than you can in a little car, forward planning is so much easier and I would be safe at much higher speeds than I am allowed to drive at.
As part of drivers CPC for PCV drivers you are apparently taught to rigidly drive at 30Mph in a built up area in fifth gear leaving you with no flexibility or power for dealing with situations, I can see that I may have difficulty with this as I am not compromising safety to get a silly little badge, as of 2013 I will probably not be allowed to drive professionally due to my safety first approach.
When it comes to professional driving standards in general I certainly see pretty poor driving from a lot of truck drivers and have been horrified listening to the attitudes and tales from many colleagues I have met in the two PCV operators I have worked with, however I believe that there is a far higher percentage of self-richeous car drivers who believe that they know it all and demonstrate appalling standards of driving, I cannot recall any cars maintaining a safe following distance on the Edinburgh city bypass tonight on my way home other than my Clio which was driven by a professional driver doing ones best to minimise the dangers created by unprofessional car drivers.
This thread is another stereotyping discussion and if I were to generalise categories which I would least like to associate myself an ex-bus driver, a current car driver, cyclist, and professional coach driver I would have to choose the car driver.
I however do not see any point in this generalisation as I agree with previous comments regarding societies attitude to road safety and believe that the attitudes of society in general need serious work.
Andrew: PCV, IAM Car
Smoky - Pronounced as Smokey, a unique little Mini.
MiniClubmanEstate

Postby daz6215 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:36 pm

I run cpc courses for buses and lgv and our courses are tacho courses , first aid etc, so it will depend on who you choose to do cpc with, hopefully you can get a good course provider who will give quality courses! not nonsence! :evil:
daz6215

Postby ROG » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:39 am

daz6215 wrote:I run cpc courses for buses and lgv and our courses are tacho courses , first aid etc, so it will depend on who you choose to do cpc with, hopefully you can get a good course provider who will give quality courses! not nonsence! :evil:

If you are also a member of www.trucknetuk.com then you will already know my views on this periodic driver cpc but if not, then here goes....

NO course is worth anything if it teaches nothing that the driver did not know already or already knew 90+% of it - this is the only thing that drivers are being made to pay for which is not tailored to their individual needs.

When associates pay for an AD course they get assessed and then taught what they NEED to be taught

No point in teaching a driver what they know already !!

What if a driver already knows the tacho regs ,first aid, customer service etc ?? - those poor drivers have to sit for 7 hours a time bored stiff !!

This is one of the most stupid money making scams that the EU has forced on LGV/PCV drivers.

The EU could not get the INITIAL driver cpc correct - no tacho/drivers hours/laws taught to new drivers - ridiculous
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby daz6215 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:42 am

you'll be suprised at the amount of drivers who dont know what they are reponsible for under the law, things like first aid constantly need refreshed because it changes all the time as do the rules on tacho's, so maybe by keeping everyone upto date and not in the past it may help.
daz6215

Postby ROG » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:02 am

daz6215 wrote:you'll be suprised at the amount of drivers who dont know what they are reponsible for under the law, things like first aid constantly need refreshed because it changes all the time as do the rules on tacho's, so maybe by keeping everyone upto date and not in the past it may help.

The rules on tachos/drivers hours have been constant since 2007 but yes, I agree, those drivers that NEED to know should be taught BUT only those that need to know and only the parts they need to know which they did not know before

Does the driver cpc TEST to see if the driver knows after a course - NO - how stupid

The only true way is to
ASSESS
TEACH
TEST
the driver cpc only does the TEACH bit !!!
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
EX LGV instructor
ROG

PreviousNext

Return to LGV, HGV, PCV Driving Forum