Poor Professional Drivers

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving and training for LGV, HGV, PCV, Minibus's etc type vehicles.

Postby superskib » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:29 pm

Why is the standard of driving so poor among professionals? Tailgating; ignoring speed limits; lane discipline; lack of consideration for other drivers, cyclists etc; all woefully poor. WHY?
superskib

Postby martine » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:42 pm

Because they can get away with it (like many non-professional drivers)?

Or perhaps because the testing regime is wrong/irrelevant (like it is for L-drivers as well)?

I think it just reflects the deterioating standard of driving in general...but that makes me sound like a boring old fart.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby ROG » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:52 am

superskib wrote:Why is the standard of driving so poor among professionals? Tailgating; ignoring speed limits; lane discipline; lack of consideration for other drivers, cyclists etc; all woefully poor. WHY?

Any specific area of professional drivers - LGV, PCV etc ?

A point to note - I was tailgated by a UK coach last time I went down the M1 - I remember that coach but do I recall all the other coaches that were driving safely........ no !!
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby jont » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:53 am

I'm not so sure all professionals are equally bad. I'm currently cycling a lot more than I used to (ie now commuting daily by pushbike), and I have to say, in general the HGV drivers are fairly courteous and considerate (although the prat driving a delivery lorry for one of the major supermarket chains yakking on his hand held mobile while negotiating a roundabout on the ringroad could do with a lesson). At the risk of winding up miniclubman, Bus drivers and white van drivers are by far the worst. Although there won't be any surprises about who the main bus operator around here is :twisted:

I wonder if this is due to 3.5 (and for some, 7.5tonners) not requiring a separate test, while larger lorries do. Still doesn't explain the buses though.
jont

Postby daz6215 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:24 pm

What you see on the roads is a relection of society, dog eat dog, move outa my way, rushing around from a to b , no manners and little courtesy , infact the sort of behaviour you see in the supermarkets at christmas :twisted:
ok I'll get off my box now, I wonder if driver cpc will improve things any?
daz6215

Postby jasonh » Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:02 pm

It's definitely true that you remember the bad ones and not the rest. I think I'm more minded to note a bad professional driver as an IAM member/trainee observer because we have a few local companies that insist on their drivers doing our course, and that makes bad driving from lorries, coaches, etc. stand out more for me.

When I experience bad driving from professionals, usually when articulated lorries pull into lane 2 on the d/c after one flash of yellow light while I am approaching much faster in that lane, I tend to put it down to the likelihood that some idiot in a suit is expecting them to get from A to B in a time made nearly impossible by the heavy traffic conditions.
IAM April 2008
jasonh

Postby ROG » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:11 pm

daz6215 wrote: I wonder if driver cpc will improve things any?

No - the driver cpc does NOT cover the actual driving of the trucks - stupid aint it as that is the main function that a truck driver does !!!!

How this basically works - for more in depth stuff just ask me
Driver cpc (INITIAL) for those doing their first LGV test has a bit more stuff in it along with 2 new tests
Driver cpc (PERIODIC) for those who have passed their test is mainly ATTENDING a classroom session on this or that for 7 hours at a time but there are NO tests to determine whether a driver has taken it in or not !!!!!!
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby fungus » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:15 pm

I think daz6215 just about sums bit up. It is a reflection of society in general.

Whilst on the subject of bus drivers. Yesterday I was out on a lesson, and my pupil was driving in a quiet residential area. There was a single decker bus stopped at a bus stop ahead, no indicator, no brake lights showing. Pupil checkes mirrors and pulls out in good time to pass the bus. As we were about to pass it, the driver pulls out without indicating, forcing my pupil to brake and pull in behind it. I don't think the driver checked the mirrors thoroughly as we were positioned off side well back, and not in a blind spot as far as I could tell.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby jcochrane » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:52 pm

Happens all the time in London. Even when mid way or about to complete overtake. :roll:
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby TripleS » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:54 am

daz6215 wrote:What you see on the roads is a reflection of society, dog eat dog, move outa my way, rushing around from a to b , no manners and little courtesy....

It doesn't feel like that to me. Obviously I now do most of my driving in an unusually civilised part of the country - North Yorkshire. Clearly I need to get out more and venture further afield.

Best wishes all,
Dave - tolerant to a fault, maybe.
TripleS

Postby Renny » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:35 pm

ROG wrote:
daz6215 wrote: I wonder if driver cpc will improve things any?

No - the driver cpc does NOT cover the actual driving of the trucks - stupid aint it as that is the main function that a truck driver does !!!!

How this basically works - for more in depth stuff just ask me
Driver cpc (INITIAL) for those doing their first LGV test has a bit more stuff in it along with 2 new tests
Driver cpc (PERIODIC) for those who have passed their test is mainly ATTENDING a classroom session on this or that for 7 hours at a time but there are NO tests to determine whether a driver has taken it in or not !!!!!!

Another opportunity missed, the Driver CPC :roll:

Especially if you look closely at what the classroom session can be about. As long as it can be related to the "Competencies" it can count. This means it could be about driving, using technology on the vehicles, updates on legislation, customer care, basket weaving, yoga, meditation (sorry, stress relief)... You can also repeat the same module each of the 5 years :wink:

Hmm
Renny
MM0KOZ
MSA Scrutineer (Note: Any comments posted here are my own views and not those of the MSA)
BMW 118d Sport Image
Land Rover Discoveryhttp://www.disco3.co.uk
Lotus Elise S2 http://www.scottishelises.com

Renny

Postby Horse » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:07 pm

jasonh wrote: When I experience bad driving from professionals, usually when articulated lorries pull into lane 2 on the d/c after one flash of yellow light while I am approaching much faster in that lane

Umm . . . so you know - or should be able to guess - that a lorry is likely to move out, but you still approach much faster?

Perhaps you need to re-think your driving . . . :?

That said, two HGV drivers playing chariot racing - even past M-way junctions - annoys me; why won't the one being overtaken just ease off for a moment or two to let the other trucker complete their pass and continue on slightly faster? :roll:
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Gareth » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:12 pm

Horse wrote:That said, two HGV drivers playing chariot racing - even past M-way junctions - annoys me; why won't the one being overtaken just ease off for a moment or two to let the other trucker complete their pass and continue on slightly faster? :roll:

I imagine it's mainly because of the pain of having to change gears, given the narrow power band, and the loss of momentum.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby ROG » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:02 pm

Gareth wrote:I imagine it's mainly because of the pain of having to change gears, given the narrow power band, and the loss of momentum.

More likely - the driver cannot be arsed to knock off the cruise control for a few seconds - going uphill would be the only reasonable momentum excuse

This issue ia discussed a lot on www.trucknetuk.com
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby jasonh » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:08 pm

Horse wrote:
jasonh wrote: When I experience bad driving from professionals, usually when articulated lorries pull into lane 2 on the d/c after one flash of yellow light while I am approaching much faster in that lane

Umm . . . so you know - or should be able to guess - that a lorry is likely to move out, but you still approach much faster?

Perhaps you need to re-think your driving . . . :?

Oh yes, of course it's my fault when I am passing a HGV and fail to anticipate that he intends to pull out with only a single indicator flash warning. I must remember to renew my Mind Reading training again....

I'm not talking about flying along at 90 with a roundabout approaching where heavies need to change lanes or some other situation where you can expect that HGVs may be changing lanes - you seem to assume I'm some sort of muppet.
IAM April 2008
jasonh

Next

Return to LGV, HGV, PCV Driving Forum