PCV drivers carrying passengers seat belt laws

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving and training for LGV, HGV, PCV, Minibus's etc type vehicles.

Postby jon1804 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:28 pm

Can anyone please clarify the current legal requirements for PCV, (PSV), drivers to wear thier seat belt, where fitted, whilst carrying passengers ? I have tried to google, but cant find the answers I need, thanks in advance. - Jon.
jon1804

Postby ROG » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:59 pm

All PCV drivers must wear seat belts if fitted

What made you think otherwise?
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby jon1804 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:23 pm

Just wanted clarification, as i believe they used to be exempt when they had passengers on board, and when you read the information regarding buses & coaches available on-line, it makes reference to passengers being required to wear their belts, but does not make reference to the drivers own requirements. Thanks for your reply.
jon1804

Postby Stephen » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:50 am

You might be getting mixed up with Private Hire taxi drivers and passengers seat belt laws.
Stephen
Stephen

Postby Renny » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:21 am

Stephen wrote:You might be getting mixed up with Private Hire taxi drivers and passengers seat belt laws.
Stephen

Taxi drivers are exempt whilst carryingh fares. No exemption for bus drivers.

How's it going Stephen?
Renny
MM0KOZ
MSA Scrutineer (Note: Any comments posted here are my own views and not those of the MSA)
BMW 118d Sport Image
Land Rover Discoveryhttp://www.disco3.co.uk
Lotus Elise S2 http://www.scottishelises.com

Renny

Postby jon1804 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:26 pm

ok, thanks
jon1804

Postby ExadiNigel » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:39 am

Renny wrote:
Stephen wrote:You might be getting mixed up with Private Hire taxi drivers and passengers seat belt laws.
Stephen

Taxi drivers are exempt whilst carryingh fares. No exemption for bus drivers.

How's it going Stephen?

Totally absurd that taxi drivers should be exempt while carrying passengers, that's putting the passengers at increased risk of injury if involved in an accident.

I'm sure most have seen this clip before, but if anyone had been in the back seat I'm not sure they would have survived this twat joining them on the rear seat!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhfdt6nFmCM
Ex - ADI & Fleet Trainer, RoADAR Diploma, National Standards Cycling Instructor, ex- Registered Assessor for BTEC in Driving Science, ex-Member RoADAR & IAM, Plymouth, ex - SAFED registered trainer
ExadiNigel

Postby MGF » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:10 pm

It's the close proximity of the passenger to the driver in a car that is considered to be the problem. It would be interesting to know the risk drivers are at from their passenegers (which is not insignificant) compared to the risk from having a serious accident. Personally I would wear a seatbelt as a rule and release it if I felt at risk rather than not bothering at all.
MGF

Postby PeterE » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:53 pm

Renny wrote:Taxi drivers are exempt whilst carrying fares. No exemption for bus drivers.

I'm pretty sure that drivers on one-man-operated buses who have to issue fares don't as a rule wear seatbelts, whether legal or not. Next time I'm on a bus (probably this coming Thursday) I'll check.
"No matter how elaborate the rules might be, there is not a glimmer of hope that they can cover the infinite variation in real driving situations." (Stephen Haley, from "Mind Driving")
PeterE

Postby heeloth » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:45 pm

PeterE wrote:
Renny wrote:Taxi drivers are exempt whilst carrying fares. No exemption for bus drivers.

I'm pretty sure that drivers on one-man-operated buses who have to issue fares don't as a rule wear seatbelts, whether legal or not. Next time I'm on a bus (probably this coming Thursday) I'll check.

I've noticed that too... but it IS illegal.
heeloth

Return to LGV, HGV, PCV Driving Forum