getting HGV licence

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving and training for LGV, HGV, PCV, Minibus's etc type vehicles.

Postby davidh1989 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:48 am

Hi there, I am 21 and I live in the Tayside, Angus and Perthshire area, I really want a career in Driving Goods Vehicles and I am wondering if it would be worth getting my HGV licence at this moment in time, and if any haulage companies would take me on, or if there are any apprenticeships I can do to get my licence?

/edited by JonT - please don't shout, we can all read normal size posts.
davidh1989

Postby jont » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:52 am

Hi David,

welcome to ADUK - I'm sure Rog or one of the other HGV regulars will be along in a minute to point you at TruckNet or add some pointers.

Jon
jont

Postby ROG » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:47 pm

davidh1989 wrote:Hi there, I am 21 and I live in the Tayside, Angus and Perthshire area, I really want a career in Driving Goods Vehicles and I am wondering if it would be worth getting my HGV licence at this moment in time, and if any haulage companies would take me on, or if there are any apprenticeships I can do to get my licence?

/edited by JonT - please don't shout, we can all read normal size posts.

WELCOME

I saw your identical post on the trucker site and to be honest you will get a lot more varied answers to your queries there

If you have not already passed the advanced driving test then that is great way of getting a head start for LGV training because the two are very similar in the way that observations and forward planning for hazards are used

On the flip side, LGV drivers make for very easy advanced driving associates (trainees) even though most do the advanced in their cars.

As a 21 year old you will also need to pass the initial LGV driver cpc modules 2 & 4
Module 2 is easy - just lots of theory books reading and common sense
Module 4 is a practical test requiring the use of the LGV training school truck so that is likely to be in the region of an extra £250

DO NOT BOOK WITH A BROKER (MIDDLEMAN) but go to LGV training schools and have a face to face chat before making any decision as to which one to choose
Get assessments at each school that you like - some of these can be free
Make sure any quote includes module 4
DO NOT PART WITH ANY MONEY (apart from assessments) UNTIL YOU ARE CERTAIN THAT YOU HAVE FOUND THE RIGHT LGV SCHOOL FOR YOU
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby IVORTHE DRIVER » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:33 pm

Hi David,

Good luck with your ambition to become a trucker and as the above posts have said make sure whoever you train with gives you everything you need and dont just want your money!

Be aware that most haulage companies want experience (which you won't have) so be prepared to fight for a job, alternatively how about approaching a local haulage company, they may be prepared to take you on, at the start you may have to drive non HGV vehicles (if they have any) but it will give you the experience and they will normally put you through your test etc when they think you are ready (you might have to sign a contract)

Ivor
2.5 Million miles of non-advanced but hopefully safe driving, not ready to quit yet
IVORTHE DRIVER

Postby ROG » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:10 am

davidh1989 wrote: if there are any apprenticeships I can do to get my licence?

Those days have long gone

When jobs were plenty and HGV (now LGV) drivers were in short supply then companies were happy to pay for training with certain caveats imposed but now there are more drivers than jobs so companies can save money by not paying for training but employing an experienced driver who can do the job atraight away

Company financial thinking these days - We will not pay for training - let someone else do it and pay for it
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Return to LGV, HGV, PCV Driving Forum