Safety Signs on Lorries

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving and training for LGV, HGV, PCV, Minibus's etc type vehicles.

Postby Kevin » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:49 pm

There is a plethora of signs on the back of lorries these days including ones that say things like: Caution Rear Steer; This vehicle is limited to 40mph on single carriageways; How's my driving?; If you can't see my mirrors I can't see you; Bulk liquid, slow on corners.

I'm sceptical as to whether these signs contribute in any meaningful way to safety or provide any information that most motorists would find useful and wondered what the contributors to this site thought.
Kevin

Postby gannet » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:09 pm

Kevin wrote:There is a plethora of signs on the back of lorries these days including ones that say things like: Caution Rear Steer; This vehicle is limited to 40mph on single carriageways; How's my driving?; If you can't see my mirrors I can't see you; Bulk liquid, slow on corners.

I'm sceptical as to whether these signs contribute in any meaningful way to safety or provide any information that most motorists would find useful and wondered what the contributors to this site thought.

you missed one:

'cyclists, beware of passing on the this side' situated on the nearside of the lorry....

as if Im anywhere near anyway :roll:
-- Gannet.
Membership Secretary, East Surrey Group of Advanced Motorists
Driving: Citroen DS3 DSport 1.6THP / MINI Cooper Coupe :D
Riding: Airnimal Joey Sport... (helps with the commute into London during the week!)
ImageImage
gannet

Postby IVORTHE DRIVER » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:17 pm

Hi,

Its not a case of motorists being informed by the signs, its more a case of how many motorists will take notice of the signs :(

How many motorists for example will expect a "rear steer" trailer to swing out on turns?
or even know what it was anyway?

How many motorists will understand what might happen if a "chemical" or "flammable" trailer was involved in an accident?

How many motorists actually bother to read the signs?

Of course some cyclists ignore the signs too

Ivor
2.5 Million miles of non-advanced but hopefully safe driving, not ready to quit yet
IVORTHE DRIVER

Postby Kevin » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:20 pm

gannet wrote:you missed one:

'cyclists, beware of passing on the this side' situated on the nearside of the lorry....

as if Im anywhere near anyway :roll:

Indeed I did, although I've probably missed more than just one. I knew there was one about cyclists but couldn't remember the wording. If anyone's got any more that they've seen I'd be interested to know what they were.

I wonder if there's a lorry out there with nearly all of the different signs on the back :D
Kevin

Postby gannet » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:29 pm

Kevin wrote:I wonder if there's a lorry out there with nearly all of the different signs on the back :D

probably isn't the back of a lorry big enough :D
-- Gannet.
Membership Secretary, East Surrey Group of Advanced Motorists
Driving: Citroen DS3 DSport 1.6THP / MINI Cooper Coupe :D
Riding: Airnimal Joey Sport... (helps with the commute into London during the week!)
ImageImage
gannet

Postby daz6215 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:02 pm

There's then the unconventional information wrote on the back 'I wish my wife was this dirty'!!! :D :D :D
daz6215

Postby foxtrot_mike » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:31 pm

What gets me is when you see a Lorry or Coach with a mutlitude of Speed Limiter signs on 60 70 90 100 etc

Which one do you believe?

And in what Country?

After all they are only limited to one speed.
IAM Member
Cornwall
foxtrot_mike

Return to LGV, HGV, PCV Driving Forum