Driving assessment

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving and training for LGV, HGV, PCV, Minibus's etc type vehicles.

Postby L05tB0y » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:13 pm

Hi all, can anyone tell me any places that do free driving assessments for LGV or very cheep around the Tyne & Wear area. Thanks
L05tB0y

Postby ROG » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:40 am

L05tB0y wrote:Hi all, can anyone tell me any places that do free driving assessments for LGV or very cheep around the Tyne & Wear area. Thanks

Are you referring to LGV training schools that do free assessments?
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby L05tB0y » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:41 am

yes
L05tB0y

Postby ROG » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:18 pm

L05tB0y wrote:yes

Best bet is to call or email as many as possible and see who offers you free assessment

Clever way is to put all the email addresses into the address bar so they all know that they are competing for your business :idea:
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby foxtrot_mike » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:40 pm

If it was me i would judge a company on their quality of tuition rather how quick they can get you through the training and test, and therefore id use the Assessment to assess the Instructor, granted if you can get free assessments with several companies to compare that great but some may only refund the assessment cost if you pay for instruction.

Id rather pay a bit for quality tuition and spend a few more hours in training dotting the Is and Ts rather than having to pay for a retest and further lessons, being a false economy.
IAM Member
Cornwall
foxtrot_mike

Postby L05tB0y » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:24 pm

Ok thanks for the reply, but shurly they wont let me loose in a big truck as ive never driven one before. Its just that the wording from the training companies states that you have to have an assessment to assesse your driving to see how many lessons it would take. :?

Also is it possible to take your Medical with one company but not go any further with this company, and maybe go wlswhare.
L05tB0y

Postby foxtrot_mike » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:18 pm

In order to be able to drive HGVs or PCVs you must have the provisional category on your Driving licence

In order to do this you will need to have a medical undertaken by a GP (Not necesarrily yours) and submit the report with the application for your provisional entitlements to the DVLA.

You wont be able to drive a HGV unless you have the provisional on there for the category of vehicle and have L plates and accompanied by a supervisor who has a driving licence for the vehicle, and any other rule ive missed.

The assessment may be in a HGV or a car but be prepared for the former, you have to start in a HGV sometime.

I reccommend that if you need to apply for a provisional ask for all PCV and LGV categories C1 C D1 D whether you are likely to get all of them or not, as if you apply again you may need another medical and pay for a licence upgrade.

If the medical is part of the package then thats fine, make sure its done on the DVLA form by a registered GP.
IAM Member
Cornwall
foxtrot_mike

Postby ROG » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:37 pm

L05tB0y wrote:Ok thanks for the reply, but shurly they wont let me loose in a big truck as ive never driven one before. Its just that the wording from the training companies states that you have to have an assessment to assesse your driving to see how many lessons it would take. :?

Also is it possible to take your Medical with one company but not go any further with this company, and maybe go wlswhare.

As FM said - get medical done and apply for provisionals C and D - all that you can do on your own - no need for a school

Pay much over £50 for a medical then consider yourself ripped off !!

That medical and provisional will be valid for any trainer

MOST trainees can pass the test doing a 5 session course - that can be 5 half days of 1 to 1 or 5 full days of 2 to 1
NEVER do full days of 1 to 1 because the average human brain cannot take it

If a trainer says 1 to 1 is best then ask them how many seats they have in their training trucks - bet its only 2 so they cannot offer 2 to 1

YOU can get your own theory and HPT material to practice on and then book your own theory tests if you want to without going through a training school

If you intend to drive LGVs commercially and passed your car test after 1997 then you will also need to do initial Driver CPC theory module 2 and then book initial dcpc practical module 4 with a trainer
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby IVORTHE DRIVER » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:12 pm

Morning,

The other reason for having 2 to 1 sessions is you get to see the other persons mistakes, which means you can correct them before they become your mistakes.

Oh, and be prepared to visit laybys with food vans in them :lol:

If you are in the training yard at lunchtime, you are normally allowed to practise without the trainer alongside you, good time to practise reverses etc, on my class 1 course myself and the other trainee would practise reverse slaloms, good fun and very useful too.

If its winter time you will also have the "priviledge" of de-icing the truck while the trainer finishes his/her coffee :!:
2.5 Million miles of non-advanced but hopefully safe driving, not ready to quit yet
IVORTHE DRIVER

Return to LGV, HGV, PCV Driving Forum