Jobs

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving and training for LGV, HGV, PCV, Minibus's etc type vehicles.

Postby L05tB0y » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:35 pm

Hi all, i am hoping to go in for my LGV class 2 soon. I was just wondering what the job sceen was like at this present time, is their many jobs on the go for class 2 Rigid drivers. (especialy with no experience)
L05tB0y

Postby ROG » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:55 pm

L05tB0y wrote:Hi all, i am hoping to go in for my LGV class 2 soon. I was just wondering what the job sceen was like at this present time, is their many jobs on the go for class 2 Rigid drivers. (especialy with no experience)

employer/agency - how much time since you passed your test - 2 years?
Newbie - no
employer/agency - come back in 2 years

OK, that could be from 6 months to 2 years and agencies will take your details cos it looks good on their books

BUT BUT BUT

you could strike lucky and be in the right place at the right time

Most newbies are very lucky to get 3 days a week in the first 2 years of passing

Just like every other industry there are alot of experienced people out there looking for work
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby IVORTHE DRIVER » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:48 pm

Hi,

A lot will depend on your location, if you are near a major distribution centre you could land lucky, even better if you know one of the existing drivers working out of said centre, pays to know the right people.

Unless the finance is the issue go for a class 1 rather than 2, most firms will take a class 1 holder before a 2 even though they might only have a rigid truck, bizzarre but true.

If all else fails you may have to bully a transport manager to give you a chance so be prepared to have to prove your ability behind the wheel. (worked for me many years ago)

Good luck
2.5 Million miles of non-advanced but hopefully safe driving, not ready to quit yet
IVORTHE DRIVER

Postby L05tB0y » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:30 pm

Thanks, and yea i live near a few distribution centres, ive got Ramage transport about 2 mins from my house and they told me to give them a call back when i get my licence. But i cant get my class 1 until i do my class 2 first.

So will it be best to contact as many distrubution centres as i can when i get my licence and hope for the best.
L05tB0y

Postby IVORTHE DRIVER » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:38 pm

If I was you I would be getting my name and face into as many places as possible BEFORE I got my licence.

Would Ramage not maybe take you on as a drivers mate (do you still get them?) with a view to then putting through a course?

And why do you have to wait for your class 1 until you get your class 2?
2.5 Million miles of non-advanced but hopefully safe driving, not ready to quit yet
IVORTHE DRIVER

Postby ROG » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:23 pm

IVORTHE DRIVER wrote:And why do you have to wait for your class 1 until you get your class 2?

Those are the rules these days

Many years ago a non driver could go straight to what was artic HGV class 1 !!

Nowadays a driver must go B, C, CE

The law change came about in the 90s
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby L05tB0y » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:33 pm

So when i pass my LGV test.
where would the best place be to get a Digi Tacho from.(prices)
Can i get a second hand one or will i have to get a new one.
Will the tacho be in the truck if i get a job for someone, or do i have to have my own. :?
L05tB0y

Postby daz6215 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:27 pm

L05tB0y wrote:So when i pass my LGV test.
where would the best place be to get a Digi Tacho from.(prices)
Can i get a second hand one or will i have to get a new one.
Will the tacho be in the truck if i get a job for someone, or do i have to have my own. :?

You can get your Digi card from here http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/ac ... =RESOURCES

and yes the units are fitted to the vehicles, all you do is put your card in!
daz6215

Postby ROG » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:44 pm

the vehicles are fitted with tachograph units into which you put your digicard

the digicard (credit card size) is YOUR property and must be carried with you at all times when driving LGVs commercially

You really need to visit the forums on the http://www.trucknetuk.com/phpBB/index.php site as that is a trucker site which contains all the info you will ever need
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby L05tB0y » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:27 pm

Thanks for the replies Rog and daz :wink:
L05tB0y

Return to LGV, HGV, PCV Driving Forum