C1 Theory Book

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving and training for LGV, HGV, PCV, Minibus's etc type vehicles.

Postby Menschik » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:45 pm

Hi everyone,

Hope my question won't sound stupid. I am about to start to prepare myself for a C1 theory test. Could you recommend any textbooks which are really good for this type of licence? I din't have any input from anyone regarding C1, so that's why my questions seem very 'basic' :)

Thanks in advance :)
Menschik

Postby ROG » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:09 pm

OK - why are you doing a LGV C1 course and not a C course?

If you have not yet done the D4 medical then do not pay more than about £50 for it - unless you want to be ripped off !!

The C1 is LGV so you will need all the LGV training material
http://www.desktopdriving.co.uk/product ... cts_id=311
Hope that helps
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby Menschik » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:22 pm

Hi,

I've got my C1 provisional already, but I'm not quite sure about how long it lasts for. I've got it since Oct. 2009. I had to have the D4 form in order to obtain the provisional form.

The reason I need the C1 instead of the C is because I'm a student paramedic and that's what the ambulance trusts require. Thanks for you info! :)
Menschik

Postby Menschik » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:29 pm

Hi,

Before I make any mistakes, is this textbook equivalent to the one you've recommended?

Thank you :)
Menschik

Postby ROG » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:36 pm

Menschik wrote:Hi,

I've got my C1 provisional already, but I'm not quite sure about how long it lasts for. I've got it since Oct. 2009. I had to have the D4 form in order to obtain the provisional form.

The reason I need the C1 instead of the C is because I'm a student paramedic and that's what the ambulance trusts require. Thanks for you info! :)

I think the medical for a provisional only lasts for 12 months but am not certain so double check with DVLA

You can go direct from B to C and miss out C1

If the course uses a 7.5 tonne truck then you might as well go for C - different if using a small 5 tonner as that will be a large van

is this textbook equivalent to the one you've recommended?

Probably not - TBH I have never heard of a textbook for LGV !!

I was a LGV instructor from 2005 to 2008
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby Menschik » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:45 pm

Oh, ok, I will go with your choice then :)

The companies that I've researched all used vans, which are easy to drive, so I'll stick with C1. From what I've heard, most of the people applying for Paramedic Science have chosen to go for C1. They've said that many people struggled with C and that C1 is much easier to do. I'm not quite sure myself, as I haven't done it myself. Thanks for your help :)
Menschik

Postby ROG » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:59 pm

Menschik wrote:The companies that I've researched all used vans

Fair enough as they are easier

I think I just remembered that the D4 medical for the D2 application lasts until you are age 45 if you are under age 40
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby Menschik » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:04 pm

That's brilliant! I'm 20, so that should cover it then :) You're the most helpful person I've found anywhere! :)
Menschik

Postby ROG » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:51 pm

Menschik wrote:That's brilliant! I'm 20, so that should cover it then :) You're the most helpful person I've found anywhere! :)

Try looking here - http://www.trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewtop ... =5&t=44667 - I am the same ROG on that site
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Return to LGV, HGV, PCV Driving Forum