OVERNIGHTS

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving and training for LGV, HGV, PCV, Minibus's etc type vehicles.

Postby Alanm » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:01 pm

Hi everyone i am new here
a simple question to kick off with
is there a limit to the amount of continuous night that i can have away from home in a cab that is to small to stand upright in

thanks Alan
Alanm

Postby martine » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:43 pm

Hi Alan and welcome!

Not one I can answer but I expect ROG or someone else who can will be along soon...
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby IVORTHE DRIVER » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:19 am

Hi Alan,

In a van or a truck?

Not aware of any limits to time spent away from home in any size of cab, but fairly sure there must be some kind of sleeping arrangement, ie bed, to allow you to spend time overnight anyway.

If there is no bed you are probably not allowed to sleep in the vehicle on a regular basis.

If it is to small, not sure about that one, however common sense says you need a certain amount of room for comfort and safety.

Rog will no doubt be along soon!!
2.5 Million miles of non-advanced but hopefully safe driving, not ready to quit yet
IVORTHE DRIVER

Postby Horse » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:20 pm

I think you're into basic H&S stuff - and if you can't sleep away from the driver's seat that's not good for either your health or your safety.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby ROG » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:28 am

Alanm wrote:Hi everyone i am new here
a simple question to kick off with
is there a limit to the amount of continuous night that i can have away from home in a cab that is to small to stand upright in

thanks Alan

No limits
No minimum cab size requirements by law
Must be a proper place to sleep (bunk)
There can be health issues if no night heater in cold weather but no law says there must be a night heater !!

Solution - get out of tramping or change to a company that looks after its drivers
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby BigWheeler » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:34 pm

Good grief, I'm driving down memory lane now...I remember the days of sleeping on a wooden board laid across from the bonnet to the window sill; night-heaters weren't even invented yet. At least, we'd never heard of them. The first night out I ever had, I woke up with ice on the windscreen. On the inside. And then there was the job of putting curtain rails in if you kept the same tractor unit...<sigh>

Still, the job was a happy one then, and it all seemed normal to us. :mrgreen:
BigWheeler

Return to LGV, HGV, PCV Driving Forum