advanced driving books

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving and training for LGV, HGV, PCV, Minibus's etc type vehicles.

Postby kwaka jack » Wed May 30, 2012 1:12 pm

As per the title. Anyone know of any? been looking on google and I can't find anything :?
kwaka jack

Postby ROG » Wed May 30, 2012 2:09 pm

ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby Gareth » Wed May 30, 2012 2:18 pm

ROG, those don't seem to be in the context of the subject of this forum.

I think the OP is asking if there any specific books relating to advanced driving in vehicles other than cars.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby kwaka jack » Wed May 30, 2012 2:33 pm

Gareth wrote:ROG, those don't seem to be in the context of the subject of this forum.

I think the OP is asking if there any specific books relating to advanced driving in vehicles other than cars.

Thats what I was getting at yes
kwaka jack

Postby Kevin » Thu May 31, 2012 2:57 pm

I've got quite a few books on advanced driving, but I've never seen one for LGVs or such like. However, the principals of advanced driving are the same regardless of the type of vehicle, in my opinion.
Kevin

Postby kwaka jack » Thu May 31, 2012 7:15 pm

I agree the basis of advanced driving is the same regardless of vehicle observations, hazard awareness etc etc but some specifics do change in my opinion even large ones such as road positioning. But never mind if theres no book available then I wont bother looking anymore :cry:
kwaka jack

Postby Kevin » Thu May 31, 2012 8:19 pm

kwaka jack wrote:I agree the basis of advanced driving is the same regardless of vehicle observations, hazard awareness etc etc but some specifics do change in my opinion even large ones such as road positioning. But never mind if theres no book available then I wont bother looking anymore :cry:

Perhaps there's a gap in the market if you feel like writing such a book. :)

Positioning does change to some extent, but I think that's mainly due to the size and maneuverability of large goods vehicles. If you've got the room, you can still adopt the same positions as when driving a car, but space may be at a premium and, as a consequence, the potential benefits not so great.
Kevin

Postby kwaka jack » Thu May 31, 2012 9:05 pm

I think my HGV driving experience of a 5 day intensive course doesn't yet qualify me to write an advanced driving book but it could be something to work to I suppose Haha :lol:

Forgive me if this is a thick question but I'm a little baffled by your post how can the potential benefits of having more space not be so great?. in my mind more space equals more margin for error and althought advanced driving is about keeping the biggest saftey margin possible with minimal impact on other drivers surley more space is safer and there for better regardless of the downsides to using more space? or am I getting the wrong end of the stick?

Kevin wrote:
Positioning does change to some extent, but I think that's mainly due to the size and maneuverability of large goods vehicles. If you've got the room, you can still adopt the same positions as when driving a car, but space may be at a premium and, as a consequence, the potential benefits not so great.
kwaka jack

Postby Kevin » Thu May 31, 2012 11:20 pm

kwaka jack wrote:I think my HGV driving experience of a 5 day intensive course doesn't yet qualify me to write an advanced driving book but it could be something to work to I suppose Haha :lol:

Forgive me if this is a thick question but I'm a little baffled by your post how can the potential benefits of having more space not be so great?. in my mind more space equals more margin for error and althought advanced driving is about keeping the biggest saftey margin possible with minimal impact on other drivers surley more space is safer and there for better regardless of the downsides to using more space? or am I getting the wrong end of the stick?

Kevin wrote:

Not a thick question. I think the way I've written my comment has confused. You're right, more space means greater safety, (usually, I will add, in case someone comes up with the famous 'it depends' :) ). What I meant was that in a large vehicle you don't have as much as much space as in a car. If your vehicle already fills the road, you cannot change your position very much, if at all. So, with a large vehicle, you will lose some positional advantage.

On the other hand, the height at which you're sitting will probably more than make up for it by giving views over smaller vehicles and across hedges.

I've been trying to think of what a book specifically on advanced lorry driving would contain that might be different from or additional to the information contained in books written for cars. Obviously the size and handling characteristics of an artic, for example, are quite different from those of a car, but I still think the same advanced driving principals (or is it 'principles'? :? ) apply. Perhaps ROG can come up with some suggestions.
Kevin

Postby ROG » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:58 am

Kevin wrote:Perhaps ROG can come up with some suggestions.

Nothing more than what has already been said

All I can say is do the car advanced then apply the same system to the LGV

I practiced for my car advanced by driving the LGV because at the time I was doing 72,000 miles per year in the truck and 8,000 per year in the car

I passed car in 1997 and LGV in 1998

For the LGV I borrowed the truck from work twice - once for an assessment with the observer and the second for the test - nice boss even let me off with the fuel :D
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby kwaka jack » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:13 pm

What is involved in the LGV advanced test? do you know anywhere in Norfolk/Suffolk or east anglia that does it?
kwaka jack

Postby ROG » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:20 am

kwaka jack wrote:What is involved in the LGV advanced test? do you know anywhere in Norfolk/Suffolk or east anglia that does it?

Same criteria that the car test is but with a bigger vehicle

Routes used by the examiner will not include 7.5 tonne limits etc if a C or CE class LGV - well, ok, when I did mine the examiner said lets go and find out where those limits are and then we will decide where to go :lol:

We met in a motorway service station on a saturday and did some reversing there

There are not many LGV examiners around so it could mean a long trip to get the test done
If doing it with the IAM then call HQ to find out where your nearest LGV examiner is to your location

I'll bet getting hold of a LGV is going to be your biggest problem............
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby kwaka jack » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:25 pm

Work would be the first place to ask :lol:
kwaka jack

Postby ROG » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:47 pm

kwaka jack wrote:Work would be the first place to ask :lol:

Remember that any LGV over 7.5 tonnes comes under EU regs
Watch your weekly rests !!
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby kwaka jack » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:56 am

I'm currently half way through the VOSA driving times and tacho rules I got off the interweb they don't make it easy lol, but the amount of driving that I'm gonna be doing isn't come anywhere near the amount that I'll need to worry about weekly rest periods just daily
kwaka jack

Next

Return to LGV, HGV, PCV Driving Forum