Finding a HGV 2 driver job following a DR10

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving and training for LGV, HGV, PCV, Minibus's etc type vehicles.

Postby Joeerdilek » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:28 pm

Hi guys,

I recently got my HGV 2 license. Im 23 and unfortunately, being the immature idiot i was, got myself disqualified for drink driving 3 years ago. It has really come back and bitten me in the arse as i've had real trouble trying to get a job, my age being one thing and the drink driving another.

I just wanted some advice, if anyone has been in the same situation or know anyone that has.

Thanks,
Joe
Joeerdilek

Postby ROG » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:00 pm

WELCOME :D

Joeerdilek wrote:I recently got my HGV 2 license.

ImageImageImage
Image Image :D Image :D

That the nice bit done .... now the reality ....
Being under age 25 without having the LGV on your licence for 2 years means you will really struggle but having that DR10 puts you virtually out of the running

Thats not saying that it will be impossible but being realistic I would seriously consider putting that licence in the drawer for 2 years and then trying to find LGV work because at least 2 of the 3 things holding you back will be out of the way

You could try trucknetuk or truckersworld for some more views but I doubt if they will be much different

If there was a driver shortage then your prospects would be greatly enhanced but that is not happening and is not likely to happen in the next 5+ years

I hate giving negative views but I think it fair I remain realistic
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby Joeerdilek » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:30 pm

Hi mate,

Thanks for a very honest reply, I think I knew this would be the case but really didnt want to face up to it. I needed to be told by someone.

When I did my HGV test, i was never told it would be an issue so presumed i would find a job fairly soon but the harsh reality has really come down on me hard. Back to scaffolding I go **joys**

Thanks alot mate,
Joe
Joeerdilek

Postby ROG » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:47 pm

Joeerdilek wrote:Hi mate,

Thanks for a very honest reply, I think I knew this would be the case but really didnt want to face up to it. I needed to be told by someone.

When I did my HGV test, i was never told it would be an issue so presumed i would find a job fairly soon but the harsh reality has really come down on me hard. Back to scaffolding I go **joys**

Thanks alot mate,
Joe

A thought .....
The EU driver regs allow you to do one days driving every other weekend if you have a mon to fri job so perhaps signing up with a few agencies is a good idea - they may get desperate at some point ...

Does the scaffolding company have a LGV?
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby Joeerdilek » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:42 pm

Yeah thats an idea, i will give it a go, cheers.

& yeah, scaffs have LGV's but same situation with my DR, it will cost them a few £££ just to insure me...
Joeerdilek

Postby ROG » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:17 am

Joeerdilek wrote: scaffs have LGV's but same situation with my DR, it will cost them a few £££ just to insure me...

Usually the excess will go up when you are driving so if something did happen then the company pay more before the insurer covers the cost

That means the company takes more risk but not initially more cost
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby Joeerdilek » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:47 am

Yeah thats it. Most companys wont take the risk at all.. I'll just sit tight and hope someone gives me a chance.
Joeerdilek

Return to LGV, HGV, PCV Driving Forum