Trailer Problem

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving and training for LGV, HGV, PCV, Minibus's etc type vehicles.

Postby ROG » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:25 pm

Angus wrote:
DJL wrote: Okay, so license wise, I can stick L-plates on and have my girlfriend (who has a pre-1997 license) 'supervise' me.

Nope - She can only supervise now if she has taken that specific test and held it more than 3 years (in actual fact iirc before 1/1/11)
I think on a post '97 licence you can only tow 750kg without the specifice tow category, regardless of total weight.

Angus, I can understand why you thought that only 750 kgs could be towed by a B only licence holder because many get that wrong but am confused as to where you got the must have passed the test to supervise B+E bit from?
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby Angus » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:11 pm

ROG wrote:
Angus wrote:
DJL wrote: Okay, so license wise, I can stick L-plates on and have my girlfriend (who has a pre-1997 license) 'supervise' me.

Nope - She can only supervise now if she has taken that specific test and held it more than 3 years (in actual fact iirc before 1/1/11)
I think on a post '97 licence you can only tow 750kg without the specifice tow category, regardless of total weight.

Angus, I can understand why you thought that only 750 kgs could be towed by a B only licence holder because many get that wrong but am confused as to where you got the must have passed the test to supervise B+E bit from?

We've a 7.5 tonne horse lorry, as has the guy who owns the yard where we keep our nags. He was advised before the new regs came in (don't know who by) that if he wanted to help the yard manager get her 7.5 tonne licence, he would have to take that test before the regs came in (or take it after the date and wait 3 years before he could sit in).

I'd assumed that this would apply to all the categories that pre 97 licences had that post 97 don't.

OK, this could be regarded as a business case, but I've not heard about the vocational category before.

So does this mean that I (or the wife) can supervise our daughter for 7.5 tonnes (and towing) to help her get those categories on her licence??
Angus

Postby ROG » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:23 am

Angus wrote:So does this mean that I (or the wife) can supervise our daughter for 7.5 tonnes (and towing) to help her get those categories on her licence??

If only got pre 97 C1 then no for 7.5 but yes for B+E

Any supervising driver for these categories must have passed the DSA test which covers the category to which they are supervising - C1 C1+E C C+E D1 D1+E D D+E
That was the new law from April 2010

There was no mention of B+E so that remains as it was

Some did not read then new law properly and assumed it meant all categories - that included a few B+E training schools but I do wonder about that as they might have an ulterior motive
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Previous

Return to LGV, HGV, PCV Driving Forum