which is safer van or mpv?

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving and training for LGV, HGV, PCV, Minibus's etc type vehicles.

Postby concerned » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:43 pm

Hello,

I'm planning on buying a vehicle in the very near future and have difficulty deciding whether to go for a small van (car-derived) or mpv (mutli-purpose vehicle). I would greatly appreciate some help/advice on which offers more safety, esp. when changing lanes.

I drove a car for a number of years and have also driven hired vans a few times. Overall, I enjoyed the experience of driving a van as I found them quite sturdy and powerful. However, I was concerned about other road users, esp. cyclists, when changing lanes as I couldn't take a quick glance over my shoulder to check that there was no car/bike in my blind spot. I did check mirrors regularly, and was extra careful when changing lanes, however I was not sure this was sufficient to ensure the safety of others.

As I'm not a business user, I could well go for an mpv which offers good all-round visibility. On the other hand, I have no use for the back seats which would probably stay folded all the time, therefore a van seems more suitable for my needs. Could anyone here please comment on the safety of cars vs. vans in relation to blind spots and changing lanes?
concerned

Postby Slink_Pink » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:37 pm

My experience of driving vans vs MPVs is similar to yours. You do get used to the reduced visibility and learn to compensate but overall I'd be tempted to go the MPV route unless you can think of a good reason to get a van (as opposed to reasons not to get an MPV). Other factors such as body roll, etc also come into play for safety. Not sure whether or not vans have EuroNCAP or equivalent safety tests (therefore equipment).

Also, wrt rear seats, the Citroen Nemo Multispace (of which I have 1st hand experience) is a car derived from van. As such, the rear seats can be completely removed (1/3 and 2/3 parts indenpendently) giving the flexibility to install them on the rare occasion you may require. This, of course, assumes that you have somewhere to store them!
Q: "Need I remind you, 007, that you have a license to kill, not to break the traffic laws."
Slink_Pink

Postby Horse » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:30 am

Guessing, the van option would have different suspension when compared to the 'car' version. If set up for carrying loads, this might affect ride and handling - affecting comfort, at the very least and safety at worst*. Plus, there are likely to be significant differences in wheel and tyre options offered.

* ie The same driving style make invoke a different response/reaction from the vehicle . . . 'Safety' would then require you to drive accordingly. It might need your question to be re-worded: Which can I drive more safely?**

** Which might need some technical digging: what's the safety equipment of each variant? Are you willing to research this and drive according to the survivability of crashes? ;)
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby concerned » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:56 pm

Hello and thank you both for your answers.

Slink_Pink: I'm also considering a van-derived car, the Citroen Berlingo Multispace. I was not aware that the Nemo was also offered as an mpv, I'll have a look at specs and prices. I'd also be very interested to know more about how body roll affects safety, this is a factor I had not previously considered as safety-related.

Horse: equally, I hadn't considered the suspension as a safety issue. Yes, I'd be willing to change my driving style to get the right kind kind of response from the vehicle but I wouldn't know where to begin researching this. Any pointers please?

On another forum, somebody said that vans and some cars are equipped with 'aspheric' mirrors which increase the side view area and almost eliminate blind spots. I was wondering whether anyone on this forum has used them and, if so, whether they find they enhance safety?
concerned

Postby Slink_Pink » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:26 pm

From some test drives I did the Berlingo has substantially more body roll than the Nemo. I would think (an this is just my opinion) that vehicles with more body roll would tend to require a slower approach into bends. To maintain stability, smoother transitions from straight into corner would be required. It certainly feels very disconcerting when the roll is felt. The first version of the Nemo failed the elk test (i.e. high speed swerve in one direction then the other - simulating swerving offside to avoid an elk then returning nearside to avoid opposing traffic), however they fitted ESC to later models to overcome this. I'll try to do a little research into roll vs safety when I have some time.
Q: "Need I remind you, 007, that you have a license to kill, not to break the traffic laws."
Slink_Pink

Postby exportmanuk » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:44 pm

Are you not approaching this from the wrong angle?

Why do you need a van/MPV in the first place?

You have mentioned you will not use the rear seats, so I would guess you need to carry something large in the back
in which case it may block you view from the rear windows too.

What are you looking to move what weight and dimensions do you need
Access to the load space etc

If you safety concern is around visibility as someone has already mentioned most recent vans come with mirrors that give a wide view.

Or you could get a white one then no one will expect you to look anyway :shock:
exportmanuk

Return to LGV, HGV, PCV Driving Forum