Minibus D1

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving and training for LGV, HGV, PCV, Minibus's etc type vehicles.

Postby wayne1983 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:42 pm

ROG wrote:Good that you checked out the DCPC with the experts

Did you get car licence before 1997?

No, 2004 :D
Be glad when i retire!
wayne1983

Postby wayne1983 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:49 pm

If you stop when you don't need to that won't be positive. They are looking for good judgement (observation, control & accuracy).[/quote]

Absolutely, i suppose if the road is wide, but the cars parked on your side and able to pass without causing the otherside to move over then this would be ok, its just when the road is narrow road and would be like bullying.
If parked on both sides no one has priority and i would stop and wait. :D[/quote]

You can apply the same principles whether in a car or bus - you just need a wider road to do it in a bus :)

If the road is safely wide enough for 3 abreast (2 way traffic plus parked car) and the parked car(s) is on my side, on approach to the parked car and in plenty of time, I will move out towards the white line - making my intentions clear to oncoming traffic that I am intending to pass the parked car. This also has the advantage of improving my view. I may even straddle the white line. I am aiming to encourage oncoming traffic to move to their left (towards the curb). I wouldn’t be aiming to stop in these situations as a matter of course but conditions/situations can vary… I will maintain an option to stop safely behind the parked car if needs be and I may also vary my speed on approach so that my arrival at the parked car does not coincide with that of the oncoming traffic.

If the situation is reversed and the parked car(s) is on the opposite side of the road, I will move to the left to ‘invite’ oncoming traffic to pass the parked car.

If the road is too narrow to safely fit three abreast and the parked car(s) is on the opposite side of the road I will hold my position (not move to the left) to discourage oncoming traffic from attempting a pass.[/quote]

Cheers TR4ffic, thats my logic but just wanted some others views. Looking back i was at fault back then going when there was 2 lines of parked vehicles.
Im just wanting to take on board has much knowledge and practice lots to get to a very safe standard.
Im already telling myself, not to take any risks on the test, if in the wrong lane at roundabouts, look, observe and if not safe stay in that lane and go a different route.
Im really trying to drum it into myself to stay safe, I just want to get the qualification and see the D1 on my licence! Thanks for the tips :D
Be glad when i retire!
wayne1983

Postby MGF » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:32 am

Wayne, it is helpful to have in mind how much clearance either side of the bus you need to make progress. My rule of thumb is 1 metre either side for normal progress limited only by forward vision (and you have an advantage in a minibus as you can see over most vehicles).

Anything less and you need to reduce your speed accordingly. I would not want to meet oncoming traffic with less than a foot either side of the bus but at these distances my speed will be around 10-15 mph

This is all dependent on not having to encroach on the 'other' side of the road when there is oncoming traffic.

I would not straddle the white line before meeting oncoming traffic if the obstruction is on my side of the road. I wait for the oncoming traffic to show a steady course away from the centre line.

I am always prepared to stop if lateral separation decreases too much or oncoming traffic is unsteady in its course.

I think you will be helped greatly if you have specific distances in mind and relate these to approximate speeds.

If the obstruction is on the other side of the road I use central positioning to slow oncoming traffic before passing. Moving to the left early gives me nowhere to go in an emergency.
MGF

Postby wayne1983 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:41 am

MGF wrote:Wayne, it is helpful to have in mind how much clearance either side of the bus you need to make progress. My rule of thumb is 1 metre either side for normal progress limited only by forward vision (and you have an advantage in a minibus as you can see over most vehicles).

Anything less and you need to reduce your speed accordingly. I would not want to meet oncoming traffic with less than a foot either side of the bus but at these distances my speed will be around 10-15 mph

This is all dependent on not having to encroach on the 'other' side of the road when there is oncoming traffic.

I would not straddle the white line before meeting oncoming traffic if the obstruction is on my side of the road. I wait for the oncoming traffic to show a steady course away from the centre line.

I am always prepared to stop if lateral separation decreases too much or oncoming traffic is unsteady in its course.

I think you will be helped greatly if you have specific distances in mind and relate these to approximate speeds.

If the obstruction is on the other side of the road I use central positioning to slow oncoming traffic before passing. Moving to the left early gives me nowhere to go in an emergency.

Thanks for that, very helpful advice. Now if there's parked cars either side, and you set off when it was clear to do so, and a vehicle comes towards you halfway you must surely have to carry on slowly till you've passed through, and don't get marked down for that?
I'm not trying to sound like I can't drive, I'm just wanting to correct all my mistakes from the past and be a safe driver that the examiner to see.
Be glad when i retire!
wayne1983

Postby wayne1983 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:11 pm

Went down to my local community transport department yesterday and met the trainer.
He seems a decent guy and had a good chat about my past experience, and has scheduled a 1 hour test drive, and then 8 hours tuition, depending on how i go.
He says that he is a ADI instructor (whats ADI)?, and that he will train me up to and beyond test standard, and will teach me good skills for life and not just about getting through a test.
Be glad when i retire!
wayne1983

Postby fungus » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:18 pm

An ADI is a Driving Standards Agency approved driving instructor, that is a person who has passed the DSA three part qualifying exam. Only a person who has passed this exam can charge a fee for driving tuition.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby wayne1983 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:37 pm

Thanks fungus, just wondered what he meant, hopefully i will learn a lot of good driving habits off him, and not just for the test! :D
Be glad when i retire!
wayne1983

Postby vonhosen » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:06 pm

fungus wrote:An ADI is a Driving Standards Agency approved driving instructor, that is a person who has passed the DSA three part qualifying exam. Only a person who has passed this exam can charge a fee for driving tuition.

In motor cars.
It's not a mandatory requirement for other vehicles.
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby wayne1983 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:50 pm

I failed :roll: :(
Be glad when i retire!
wayne1983

Postby TR4ffic » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:11 pm

wayne1983 wrote:I failed :roll: :(

Sorry to hear that. What did you fail on? What feedback did you get - stuff you can easily work on/practice?
Riveting – The most fascinating job you could ever have..!

Nick
IAM Member since 1985
TR4ffic

Postby wayne1983 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:19 pm

TR4ffic wrote:
wayne1983 wrote:I failed :roll: :(

Sorry to hear that. What did you fail on? What feedback did you get - stuff you can easily work on/practice?

Got a Serious for going out of a junction too early, another for stopping when should have gone behind a lorry, and then a few niggly gear changes and steering.
Dont think i will be trying again, or certainly not anytime soon has i cant afford £200 to do it again, shame really. May have to do a van driving job since i can drive that on a car licence, i shouldve been born years ago for D1 8)
Be glad when i retire!
wayne1983

Postby ROG » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:55 pm

fungus wrote:An ADI is a Driving Standards Agency approved driving instructor, that is a person who has passed the DSA three part qualifying exam. Only a person who has passed this exam can charge a fee for driving tuition.

For B categories correct but this is PCV D1 so does not apply
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Previous

Return to LGV, HGV, PCV Driving Forum