Minibus D1

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving and training for LGV, HGV, PCV, Minibus's etc type vehicles.

Postby wayne1983 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:11 pm

Hi, I did training for this over 3 years ago, but sadly I never completed it has I took 2 attempts and failed twice, first one was 1 stupid thing. Anyway thats gone now so moving on.
Im wanting to have another attempt at it has its something i really want to do.
I already work on the transport department on the council and although I can drive the smaller vehicles without D1, I think they really want me to have it so its more flexible for them.
Now I can remember what mistakes my majors were and 1 of them was driving on when there was parking either side, and I continued going up the hill with traffic coming down. :oops:
And the other I got into a tangle has I got in the wrong lane on a busy roundabout up here, and in trying to get in right lane made a mess!
So ive since learned that there is a 10 minute independent driving, where you follow directions or road signs.
Now ive read for a car test if you take a wrong turn but do it safely you wont get penalised, is this the same for bus tests? Also can you talk to yourself during the test has ive read a lot of people do this on car tests, and is allowed and really makes you think through your directions.?
Im really hoping, knowing where i went wrong and I wont take risks no more since and passenger driving vehicles require more safety than your car.
I want to pass this time, ive been working very hard at improving my standard and its something i really want to do. And no i dont need to do the CPC tests has im working for the council, or 1 day possibly ambulance transport it comes under section 19 so im not required to apparently.
So if anyone here done this recently id love to hear, and sorry for a long essay lol! :D
Be glad when i retire!
wayne1983

Postby vonhosen » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:23 pm

For the independent driving they will either tell you to follow road signs to "---" or they will show you a simple drawing (such as keep going until you come to a roundabout, left first exit at that roundabout & continue to the next roundabout, where it's right 3rd exit & then to T junctions where you turn left). It will only be a few turns. You can ask on the test 'It was towards "---" wasn't it?' or in the case of the drawing 'it was right at the second roundabout wasn't it?' & they will confirm or not. If you go off route they will try to get you back on route & you won't fail (unless you panic & do something silly).
Nothing to stop you talking to yourself either.
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby wayne1983 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:44 pm

Hi thanks vonhosen. Oh so they dont ask you to go miles then. Even so ive made my mind up if im in the wrong lane id rather take a wrong turn than do what i did last time and panick!
Oh and for the talking bit ive been practicing and it makes you think more .
I really want to do it this time, i want it for the long term. :D
Be glad when i retire!
wayne1983

Postby ROG » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:16 am

wayne1983 wrote:i dont need to do the CPC tests has im working for the council, or 1 day possibly ambulance transport it comes under section 19 so im not required to apparently

I am not certain that is legally correct so double check exactly what you will be doing

NHS ambulances over 3.5 are dcpc exempt but NHS patient transport vehicles that come within C1 or D1 are not

Maybe the council is running a free D1 minibus service under a charity banner ?

If unsure then call the DSA DCPC hotline on 0191 201 8112
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby wayne1983 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:34 am

ROG wrote:
wayne1983 wrote:i dont need to do the CPC tests has im working for the council, or 1 day possibly ambulance transport it comes under section 19 so im not required to apparently

I am not certain that is legally correct so double check exactly what you will be doing

NHS ambulances over 3.5 are dcpc exempt but NHS patient transport vehicles that come within C1 or D1 are not

Hi, I've asked has I already work there. They do the Midas which they get you through, but cpc isn't apparently.
Be glad when i retire!
wayne1983

Postby ROG » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:08 am

Never believe the council boss because many councils have now suddenly found out that most of their drivers need dcpc !

Ring the number I gave and tell them what you will be driving and for exactly what purpose - they will then give a legally definitive answer - its worth a 2 minute call
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby wayne1983 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:50 pm

ROG wrote:Never believe the council boss because many councils have now suddenly found out that most of their drivers need dcpc !

Ring the number I gave and tell them what you will be driving and for exactly what purpose - they will then give a legally definitive answer - its worth a 2 minute call

Cheers Rog, will contact them. Im pretty sure its not needed there but like you say its deffo worth getting checked has i dont want to be driving illegal!
Just changing slightly, overall id like to think im a pretty safe (car) driver. However 1 thing i got a major on before was passing parked cars, now when driving a bus have you basically got to be courteous and stop and give way if its a 2 way street parking?
I know sometimes you have to anyway, but if the road is wide must you still stop?
Im certain i will next time i do test has i am going to driver extra safe, after all your main priorities are the 'safety and comfort of your passengers'.
Cheers all, i just want to do a good safe display when i do the test. :D
Be glad when i retire!
wayne1983

Postby vonhosen » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:06 pm

wayne1983 wrote:
ROG wrote:Never believe the council boss because many councils have now suddenly found out that most of their drivers need dcpc !

Cheers Rog, will contact them. Im pretty sure its not needed there but like you say its deffo worth getting checked has i dont want to be driving illegal!
Just changing slightly, overall id like to think im a pretty safe (car) driver. However 1 thing i got a major on before was passing parked cars, now when driving a bus have you basically got to be courteous and stop and give way if its a 2 way street parking?
I know sometimes you have to anyway, but if the road is wide must you still stop?
Im certain i will next time i do test has i am going to driver extra safe, after all your main priorities are the 'safety and comfort of your passengers'.

If you stop when you don't need to that won't be positive. They are looking for good judgement (observation, control & accuracy).
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby wayne1983 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:35 pm

vonhosen wrote:
wayne1983 wrote:

If you stop when you don't need to that won't be positive. They are looking for good judgement (observation, control & accuracy).

Absolutely, i suppose if the road is wide, but the cars parked on your side and able to pass without causing the otherside to move over then this would be ok, its just when the road is narrow road and would be like bullying.
If parked on both sides no one has priority and i would stop and wait. :D
Be glad when i retire!
wayne1983

Postby wayne1983 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:45 pm

Actually ive just sent an email to our local community transport department. They want voluntary minibus drivers, and they offer 4 FREE training schemes, including midas.
Now ok i still need to get my D1 for my job, however they offer a training course called 'Confidence training - useful for people with little
recent experience of driving larger vehicles'.
I feel this would be good experience and free practice while cutting it around my current work, and at the same time doing a worthwhile thing, win win situation in my eyes.
Be glad when i retire!
wayne1983

Postby wayne1983 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:41 pm

Well, been to the community transport and it would be hard to fit the times round my schedule for the voluntary which is a big shame has it would have been good experience. I may try and fit it in sometime if my circumstances change.
Regards the CPC ive contacted and i dont require it, it comes under non profit/commercial and the section 19 act, so thats a couple of things less to do but even so got to get through all the other, just hope i can get it done quick. :D
Be glad when i retire!
wayne1983

Postby ROG » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:04 pm

Good that you checked out the DCPC with the experts

Did you get car licence before 1997?
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby TR4ffic » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:20 pm

1 thing i got a major on before was passing parked cars, now when driving a bus have you basically got to be courteous and stop and give way if its a 2 way street parking?

Absolutely, i suppose if the road is wide, but the cars parked on your side and able to pass without causing the otherside to move over then this would be ok, its just when the road is narrow road and would be like bullying.
If parked on both sides no one has priority and i would stop and wait. :D

You can apply the same principles whether in a car or bus - you just need a wider road to do it in a bus :)

If the road is safely wide enough for 3 abreast (2 way traffic plus parked car) and the parked car(s) is on my side, on approach to the parked car and in plenty of time, I will move out towards the white line - making my intentions clear to oncoming traffic that I am intending to pass the parked car. This also has the advantage of improving my view. I may even straddle the white line. I am aiming to encourage oncoming traffic to move to their left (towards the curb). I wouldn’t be aiming to stop in these situations as a matter of course but conditions/situations can vary… I will maintain an option to stop safely behind the parked car if needs be and I may also vary my speed on approach so that my arrival at the parked car does not coincide with that of the oncoming traffic.

If the situation is reversed and the parked car(s) is on the opposite side of the road, I will move to the left to ‘invite’ oncoming traffic to pass the parked car.

If the road is too narrow to safely fit three abreast and the parked car(s) is on the opposite side of the road I will hold my position (not move to the left) to discourage oncoming traffic from attempting a pass.
Riveting – The most fascinating job you could ever have..!

Nick
IAM Member since 1985
TR4ffic

Postby MGF » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:49 pm

wayne1983 wrote:
ROG wrote:

Hi, I've asked has I already work there. They do the Midas which they get you through, but cpc isn't apparently.

Council is 'not for profit' which means it is eligible for a Section 19 permit.
MGF

Postby ROG » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:24 pm

MGF wrote:Council is 'not for profit' which means it is eligible for a Section 19 permit.

Is a council a charity or a commercial enterprise ? - or other
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Next

Return to LGV, HGV, PCV Driving Forum