Rise in HGV Speed Limit

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving and training for LGV, HGV, PCV, Minibus's etc type vehicles.

Postby Big Err » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:47 am

http://highwaysmagazine.co.uk/speed-limit-for-hgvs-to-increase/

Interesting article where by the argument for the increase is based on the current 40mph for a single carriageway national speed limit is outdated "a speed limit set in the 1960s and at odds with other large vehicles on our roads."

Also interesting to think that HGVs travelling at 50mph will discourage dangerous overtaking? My own experience is that the majority of "risky" overtakes of HGVs involves the HGV travelling at 50-56mph (recent speed surveys on a single carriageway up here showed 95% of HGVs exceeding the 40mph limit).
Opinions expressed are mine and not necessarily those of my employers or clients.
Big Err

Postby jont » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:56 am

Suspect it could be coupled with NSL dropping for cars to 50 :(

Wonder what the operators think - there seems to have been a tendency to drop governors on motorways to 52 or even 50 in the name of fuel economy - would a 50 mph limit on A-roads actually be made use of?
jont

Postby michael769 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:57 am

jont wrote:
Wonder what the operators think - there seems to have been a tendency to drop governors on motorways to 52 or even 50 in the name of fuel economy - would a 50 mph limit on A-roads actually be made use of?

The responses to the consultation are rather illuminating on that front. Some operators argued that truck makers optimise their vehicles to be most efficient at 56, and that at 40 drivers frequently have to select lowre gears which increases consumption. Others argued that slower=more efficient.

They cannot both be right which suggests many operators don't have a good handle on this issue.

I did have a friend who drives HGVs his company cut their limiter only to go back when their fuel costs increased.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Return to LGV, HGV, PCV Driving Forum