LGV Advanced Driving

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving and training for LGV, HGV, PCV, Minibus's etc type vehicles.

Postby paul adams » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:05 pm

Hi All

What is the law surrounding providing advanced driver training to LGV and HGV drivers? I am aware to provide any form of paid instruction to a car or van driver, you need to be a registered ADI with the DVSA, but I'm keen to learn about LGVs. I'm meaning advanced tuition for full LGV/HGV licence owners, NOT teaching them to get their c or c+e category

Thanks
paul
paul adams

Postby vonhosen » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:36 pm

The LGV register is voluntary, not mandatory like the car register.

Therefore you don't have to be an ADI to teach licence acquisition let alone advanced driving.
You just need to satisfy the minimum age/experience criteria to supervise LGV learners & no qualifying criteria for full LGV licence holders.
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby paul adams » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:43 pm

Thank you. When it comes to LGV advanced training what things are usually covered? Is it like with car advanced training, which has some coverage of the controls but much more on anticipation etc? Or being as though LGVs are much more complex, maybe it's a little different ?
paul adams

Postby martine » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:08 pm

The IAM Commercial advanced course is identical to the car advanced...just in a different vehicle with considerations to size, performance, use of gears - all the main things are the same (Observation, anticipation, System of Car Control, etc.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby ROG » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:37 am

Are you intending to do this as a paid job ?

If yes then please research carefully as I do not think there is a call for it
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby trashbat » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:04 am

I thought we agreed that the RTA banned any paid instruction by non-ADIs, regardless of context?
Rob - IAM F1RST, Alfa Romeo 156 JTS
trashbat

Postby ROG » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:24 am

trashbat wrote:I thought we agreed that the RTA banned any paid instruction by non-ADIs, regardless of context?

That is not the case = 100%

The law is clear on who can and cannot get paid to do instruction for learners
Put in simple terms - cars and motorbike learners have strict rules - others do not

some can try and put their own spin on the laws but in the end it remains as above
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby paul adams » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:29 am

ROG wrote:Are you intending to do this as a paid job ?

If yes then please research carefully as I do not think there is a call for it

I may do - in the future. But currently I am just interested, as there seems so much info out there, but nothing set in stone...
paul adams

Postby ROG » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:57 am

I am the LGV observer for our IAM group and after doing well over 25 over the years I can state that LGV drivers are very close to advanced drivers in their general manner of driving

To get a LGV driver to IAM test standard takes a couple of hours at most and that is mainly tweaking small bits or me being pedantic because I am bored with nothing to do :D
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby trashbat » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:10 am

ROG wrote:
trashbat wrote:I thought we agreed that the RTA banned any paid instruction by non-ADIs, regardless of context?

That is not the case = 100%

The law is clear on who can and cannot get paid to do instruction for learners
Put in simple terms - cars and motorbike learners have strict rules - others do not

some can try and put their own spin on the laws but in the end it remains as above
My mistake, the relevant section applies to "motor car".
Rob - IAM F1RST, Alfa Romeo 156 JTS
trashbat

Postby paul adams » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:15 pm

ROG wrote:I am the LGV observer for our IAM group and after doing well over 25 over the years I can state that LGV drivers are very close to advanced drivers in their general manner of driving

To get a LGV driver to IAM test standard takes a couple of hours at most and that is mainly tweaking small bits or me being pedantic because I am bored with nothing to do :D

I have been told LGV drivers, almost without exception are pretty much at an advanced level anyway, which when you consider the size of the vehicles they drive, is quite reassuring..
paul adams

Postby jont » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:23 pm

paul adams wrote:
ROG wrote:I am the LGV observer for our IAM group and after doing well over 25 over the years I can state that LGV drivers are very close to advanced drivers in their general manner of driving

I have been told LGV drivers, almost without exception are pretty much at an advanced level anyway, which when you consider the size of the vehicles they drive, is quite reassuring..

/cynic. How many car drivers who do high miles think they drive at an "advanced" level? The regular carnage on the A14 has me far from convinced about HGV drivers... :twisted:
jont

Postby paul adams » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:38 pm

jont wrote:
paul adams wrote:

/cynic. How many car drivers who do high miles think they drive at an "advanced" level? The regular carnage on the A14 has me far from convinced about HGV drivers... :twisted:

My main issue with SOME LGV drivers, is that they drive too close to slow moving car drivers...Surely they can't brake as fast as a car, or be as stable under braking...
paul adams

Postby clear99 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:27 pm

Generally LGV are much better than car drivers...!!
clear99

Return to LGV, HGV, PCV Driving Forum