Hello from Bristol

A place for new members to introduce themselves and give some background information as to their experience with driving, likes, dislikes etc. It is advisable to post here first before posting to other forum's on the site.

Postby Gazzer » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:29 pm

Hi All

Thought I would introduce myself here and give a brief background of my dirving history :lol:

I live in Bristol have been driving for 24yrs, I currently drive a BMW E46 M3 which has been remapped has a full stainless exhaust and full K&N induction kit, so it sounds as nice as it goes.

I passed my IAM on my motorcycle 9 yrs ago but never got round to taking it in the car, but this year I found the time and passed my test in May with a first, since then I have been chomping at the bit to learn more and take my FAD course as I want to become an observer, unfortunately the next FAD course in my area is January 2013 so any of you living in the Bristol area will be seeing me at some of the 3 in car events :lol:

Im also putting my name forward for the Masters when it becomes available as that looks goooood.
Gazzer

Postby jont » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:35 pm

Welcome Gazzer - there's quite a few of us Bristolians around. I'm with the local Rospa group rather than IAM, but always happy to go for a drive with anyone.

Have a look in the members section at driving days coming up - they are a great way to drive with a wide range of people and take on new ideas :D

Jon
jont

Postby jameslb101 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:37 pm

Hi Gazzer and welcome. Off the top of my head there are another 6 (plus me and you) from the Bristol IAM group on here so you can join us troublemakers at the back.

I'm assuming you took your IAM car course with Bristol Advanced Motorists. That being the case I've probably seen you around. I was a 'graduate' of the 2011 FAD course and it's worth doing. Do you want to go on to Observe?

The next three-in-a-car is on the 16th of this month - 10.30am at Thornbury Leisure Centre. Make sure you bring the M3 as I sure want a ride!

There are also three ADUK days coming up in the next four months, and the best bit is that they're all day-trip-able from here. Worth doing as the only costs are petrol and lunch.

James
jameslb101

Postby C7GRN » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:58 pm

Welcome Gazzer

I am another of those knocking around Bristol.

Hopefully come Jan 2013 you will still be keen to attend the FAD course & continue on to qualify as an observer. My self & James are recent additions to the Bristol IAM Observer gang. Even at my age I am amongst one of the younger members of IAM Bristol :lol:

As James high lighted Bristol IAM run 'Three In a Car' days. Check Bristol IAM diary. In fact you just missed a Members Day on 26th May.

Also as mentioned AD UK days are a great informal way of gaining knowledge. Since passing my IAM test some of the most useful tips & advice have come from AD UK days. The learning never stops.

BTW are indicators still optional on BMW's :wink: The plus side is you drive a rear wheel drive car. Anyway look forward to meeting up with you.
Gary
IAM Advanced Driver

Torqu'ing is good :)
C7GRN

Postby MrToad » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:12 pm

Hi Gazzer

You found us - excellent. You'll discover that ADUK is a slightly broader church than the IAM, and a good place to discuss things above and beyond (and sideways from) what you'll find in the group.

My personal experience was that becoming an Observer didn't teach me that much more about driving, but instead I'm learning a huge amount about people and how they handle the driving task. It's turned out to be very rewarding in ways that I didn't expect.

As others have said - check out the Driver Network subforum for details of ADUK days that are coming up. There are a lot of people on the forum who are both very skilful and very generous with their time - I think you'll like it here.
Do less, better.
MrToad

Postby Gazzer » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:57 pm

Thanks to you all for the warm welcome, I will make my best effort to be at Thornbury on the 16th of June and will be bringing along the M3 to keep jameslb101 happy :D

Will look at gleaning what info I can from all you fellow Bristolians
Gazzer

Postby DugS » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:02 am

hello from another bristolian, I'll keep an eye out for you. I drive a black fabia vrs and can normally be seen pootling along Whiteladies road and at morrisons car wash.

I can recommend the Fad course and getting along to some aduk days will give you the chance to witness some top class driving and get some amazing advice and eat some chips in a pub.

Dug
1 years driving experience and 13 years of guessing....
DugS

Postby Mike H » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:23 pm

And 'Hi' from yet another Bristol IAM/RoSPA member :)
IAM; RoADAR
Mike H

Postby jameslb101 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:53 pm

Mike H wrote:And 'Hi' from yet another Bristol IAM/RoSPA member :)

Do I know you?

I think there are now 10 Bristol IAM people on here now. That being the case, I wonder if we're the best represented group?
jameslb101

Postby MrToad » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:08 pm

I do wonder if we're the only IAM group that give the address of this forum to every one of our Associates.

It's possible that other groups see the test as an end in itself (rather than an intermediate step in a longer process) and as a result are less actively involved with other forms of AD.
Do less, better.
MrToad

Postby waremark » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:33 pm

jameslb101 wrote:

Do I know you?

I think there are now 10 Bristol IAM people on here now. That being the case, I wonder if we're the best represented group?

Great to have you all here.

But I don't think you Bristol groupies have yet overtaken the number of HPC'ers on the forum.
waremark

Postby MrToad » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:57 pm

Give us time Mark - we're working on it.

Hopefully one day there will be some overlap between our two august bodies. :P
Do less, better.
MrToad

Postby Mike H » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:18 pm

jameslb101 wrote:

Do I know you?

You'd probably recognise me by sight :)
IAM; RoADAR
Mike H

Postby lordgrover » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:51 pm

Another Bristolian noob here. :D
lordgrover

Return to Introductions