Afternoon all

A place for new members to introduce themselves and give some background information as to their experience with driving, likes, dislikes etc. It is advisable to post here first before posting to other forum's on the site.

Postby aide_t » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:18 pm

Hello, :D

Newbie here. Just passed my IAM test on my bike but been in and around advanced driving and riding for years.

Looking forwards to discussing many things on here. Have many pet hates including mobile phone users, those happy to do 40 on a national speed limit road then continue at 40 when entering a 30 area, people who drive with just there side/parking lights on when it's well past sunset including on pitch black motorways and country lanes. To name but a few!

Keen to make our roads and more accurately... drivers safer.

Look forwards to chatting soon.

Ta
Aide
GTTDI Golf
K3 SV650
IAM member-CWAM
Tea & Biscuits
aide_t

Postby martine » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:22 pm

Welcome Aide!

I think your summary stikes a chord with many here...I don't know which is worse for those that transgress what we believe is good driving: lazyness or ignorance. I'm sure there are many who don't understand how their fog light switch works or importantly, when they should be used in the first place.

So what do you ride/drive and whereabouts are you?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby aide_t » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:43 pm

That's exactly what I often wonder....Pure laziness or blissful ignorance. Scary stuff.

Either way I'm proud to be part of a subculture of people who know different and care enough to drive responsibly and at a level that, in my opinion is worthy of its highly regarded status.

Currently driving a GTTDI golf which is due for replacement in January with hopefully a Volvo V50. Bike wise, k3 SV650, a bit budget but as a family man I'd rather have that than no bike at all. Ridden correctly it can still perform well and never ceases to make me smile.

My father was an observer over in Birmingham so I started driving at 16(?) with a different mindset and for that I'm eternally grateful. Only now I've felt the desire to actually get my badge as it were.

Now I'm based in Leamington Spa and travel world wide with work covering 1000's of miles a year on bikes, in cars and vans. Yet, I always manage to see something new nearly every trip! The old internal monologue of "you're not going to be that silly are you mr/mrs other driver? ...... Oh, yes you are" before they even know they are going to do it themselves.

Anyway. That's me. Like I said. Many opinions, hopefully well balanced and not looking for controversy.
GTTDI Golf
K3 SV650
IAM member-CWAM
Tea & Biscuits
aide_t

Postby gannet » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:24 pm

Welcome along, many on here would agree with your pet hates...

Get along to some aduk days :D
-- Gannet.
Membership Secretary, East Surrey Group of Advanced Motorists
Driving: Citroen DS3 DSport 1.6THP / MINI Cooper Coupe :D
Riding: Airnimal Joey Sport... (helps with the commute into London during the week!)
ImageImage
gannet

Return to Introductions