Afternoon All

A place for new members to introduce themselves and give some background information as to their experience with driving, likes, dislikes etc. It is advisable to post here first before posting to other forum's on the site.

Postby mccarn » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:24 pm

Hey all,

Just signed up today.

I live in the Tayside area and received the "Skill for Life" pack for my Christmas.

Apart from Pass Plus shortly after I passed my test around 5 years ago, I haven't done any other driver improvement training.

Meeting a fellow IAM member tomorrow morning for a brief run, then will have my first observed run in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to getting started. I've not long turned 22 and my driving seems to be more "sloppy" than ever!

All the best,

Neil.
IAM Passed 22/7/13
mccarn

Postby Silk » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:28 pm

mccarn wrote:Hey all,

Just signed up today.

I live in the Tayside area and received the "Skill for Life" pack for my Christmas.

Apart from Pass Plus shortly after I passed my test around 5 years ago, I haven't done any other driver improvement training.

Meeting a fellow IAM member tomorrow morning for a brief run, then will have my first observed run in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to getting started. I've not long turned 22 and my driving seems to be more "sloppy" than ever!

All the best,

Neil.

Neil,

Welcome to the world of Advanced Driving. As you'll no doubt discover, it'll be on of the best Christmas presents you've ever had.

Just one tip to be starting with: be prepared for your driving to appear to be getting worse before it gets better. But get better it will.

Don't forget to stay in touch on here both during and after the course. There are plenty of people who can help along the way. You'll have your certificate before you know it.

Perhaps we'll see you on one of the UKAD driving days.

Good luck.

Steve.
Silk

Postby dombooth » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:16 am

Welcome to the forum. :)

Dom
Dominic Booth
Chesterfield IAM Chairman & Webmaster
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

ALL OF MY POSTS ARE OF MY OPINION ONLY AND NOT THAT OF MY GROUP UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED.
dombooth

Postby mccarn » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:56 am

Brilliant, cheers.

I've signed up to an HPC day in July so aiming to pass the test by then.

Must be mad to drive 414 miles each way for a seminar
:lol:
Cheers.
IAM Passed 22/7/13
mccarn

Postby jameslb101 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:59 am

mccarn wrote:I've signed up to an HPC day in July so aiming to pass the test by then.

Hi Neil

That's dedication, but it'll be worth it. I've been to a couple of HPC YDDs and they're very well run.

I would recommend coming to some ADUK days but they all tend to be in the South, and it's where most on here live. Still, you've got some fantasic roads up there (or so I hear) so it's swings and roundabouts!
jameslb101

Postby jcochrane » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:02 am

mccarn wrote:Brilliant, cheers.

I've signed up to an HPC day in July so aiming to pass the test by then.

Cheers.

Welcome. Good to see you have already signed up for the YDD in July. You must be one of the first this year to do so. :) Hope to see you there.
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby mccarn » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:28 pm

Just back from a run with an IAM member. Big thanks to Grant (im not sure what your username on here is!) For taking the time out to take me out. Lot to learn and a lot to take in. Looking forward to my first observed run over the next few weeks.

Was only driving for a little over an hour but I am drained. Already got the bug for it.

With regards the HPC day I've read good reviews and it gives me a date to aim to have passed my test by then.

Cheers.
IAM Passed 22/7/13
mccarn

Postby cookie » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:28 pm

Hi Neil,

It was good to meet you today and thanks for the coffee. It all seems a bit daunting at first but I am sure you will have no problem on your Advanced Driving journey, you have the right attitude which is a major part of it.

Good luck and all the best,
Grant
HPC & IAM F1RST
cookie

Postby Renny » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:11 pm

Hi from a fellow Scot, welcome.

Grant are you seeing much interest in HPC up here?
Renny
MM0KOZ
MSA Scrutineer (Note: Any comments posted here are my own views and not those of the MSA)
BMW 118d Sport Image
Land Rover Discoveryhttp://www.disco3.co.uk
Lotus Elise S2 http://www.scottishelises.com

Renny

Postby Octy_Ross » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:42 pm

Hello Neil, welcome to ADUK, I'm based in Aberdeen - it's not so far away - if you fancy a drive sometime give me a shout we can make a plan.

If you've been out with Grant then I'm sure you've picked up all his bad habits like put louder exhaust on the car and the such...

My entry to HPC was through a YDD and it was very good. I would advise, if you can afford it, to stay down there the night before and after as the day will turn your brain to mush. When I attended I lived about 1 hour from the hotel and even that was enough of a drive home!

Renny, my dad, brother and I are all members, as well as Grant, I'm sure if you were interested in a drive sometime something could be arranged ;-)

Perhaps this year we could arrange our first Scottish ADUK day...
Octy_Ross

Postby Gareth » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:43 pm

Octy_Ross wrote:Perhaps this year we could arrange our first Scottish ADUK day...

There've been two or three Scottish ADUK days already; you might find some encouragement and interest from previous participants.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby cookie » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:38 pm

Renny wrote:Hi from a fellow Scot, welcome.

Grant are you seeing much interest in HPC up here?

Hi Renny,

As Ross mentioned above there are not a lot of HPC members up here, Ross and his clan, one member in Edinburgh and me as far as I know!

Cheers,
Grant
HPC & IAM F1RST
cookie

Postby cookie » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:40 pm

Octy_Ross wrote:
If you've been out with Grant then I'm sure you've picked up all his bad habits like put louder exhaust on the car and the such...

That will be the CSL airbox and not the exhaust!! :lol:
HPC & IAM F1RST
cookie

Postby Big Err » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:50 am

Gareth wrote:
Octy_Ross wrote:Perhaps this year we could arrange our first Scottish ADUK day...

There've been two or three Scottish ADUK days already; you might find some encouragement and interest from previous participants.

Yep, Dunkeld about 5 years ago and Newtown St Boswells last year. I see Octy is looking at arranging one this year at Grantown on Spey - just beside the Whisky Trail. Could make for an interesting weekend :wink:
Opinions expressed are mine and not necessarily those of my employers or clients.
Big Err

Postby TripleS » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:08 pm

Last edited by TripleS on Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TripleS

Next

Return to Introductions