New old boy

A place for new members to introduce themselves and give some background information as to their experience with driving, likes, dislikes etc. It is advisable to post here first before posting to other forum's on the site.

Postby knighterrant » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:32 pm

Hi everyone. After 50 years of motoring I'm delighted to report that I've managed not to kill myself! (You'd have been worried if I said that I had killed myself.) More importantly, neither have I killed or injured anyone else.

My initial skills were developed on a motorbike where I learnt to read the road. Get that wrong and it hurts! Then at 18 I bought my first car (an Austin A40 Somerset) and haven't looked back since (except in my mirrors or over my shoulder when changing lanes). From that time I've been interested in all aspects of motoring, but most particularly roadcraft. A day on a skid pan was most enlightening, but not as generally informative as the week long ambulance driving course I went on. It was on that course that I developed skills such as judging a country road well ahead by looking at tree tops, and leaving sufficient gap behind the preceding vehicle when stopped at junctions to be able to pull out and pass if that vehicle was unable to move off. More obvious techniques I learnt, but still rarely used by most motorists, included positioning when approaching bends for the best early view. I've also done a bit of single seater racing at Thruxton and only recently I enjoyed driving an Aston Martin V8 Vantage and a Ferrari 360F1 Modena at Silverstone. I currently own a 2012 Mercedes C350 Sport saloon.

So I can claim to be an advanced driver in years of experience, but by no means an expert and certainly willing to learn more. I look forward to many years of fascinating discussions here.
knighterrant

Postby martine » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:09 pm

Welcome Sir or should that be 'arise'?

I'm sure you'll find your stay here interesting and hopefully fruitful - there's all sorts here...and mostly we're a friendly bunch.

Do you have any questions or tricky situations to discuss? If so, post in the the approapriate forum and you'll get some thoughtful replies.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby fungus » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:57 pm

Welcome to the forum. As Martin said we are mainly a friendly bunch. You've beaten me in years experience by six years. There are a couple with longer experience on here though. I'm sure Triple X (Dave) will be along sooner or later extolling the virtues of his long driving career. :lol:
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby kfae8959 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:54 am

fungus wrote:I'm sure Triple X (Dave) will be along sooner or later

Are you comparing him to toughened glass, or strong drink?!

David
"A man's life in these parts often depends on a mere scrap of information"
kfae8959

Postby martine » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:37 pm

fungus wrote:I'm sure Triple X (Dave) will be along sooner or later...

Does Dave have an 'adult' film career?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby TripleS » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:49 pm

Post deleted.
Last edited by TripleS on Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TripleS

Postby TripleS » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:55 pm

Last edited by TripleS on Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TripleS

Postby TripleS » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:00 pm

Last edited by TripleS on Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TripleS

Postby knighterrant » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:10 pm

Thanks everyone. It's good to be here.
knighterrant

Postby fungus » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:19 pm

Oh eck, I made a typo. No offence meant Dave, must be that beer I was drinking. :lol:
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby TripleS » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:53 pm

Last edited by TripleS on Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TripleS

Postby knighterrant » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:41 pm

I'm new here, but already admiring the skills exhibited by other members. Drinking beer whilst taking part in Internet forums whilst driving. :shock: Now that's the sort of multitasking that would impress any woman. :wink: But don't tell me you do all that with Summer tyres fitted or I won't believe you.
knighterrant

Postby fungus » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:45 pm

knighterrant wrote:I'm new here, but already admiring the skills exhibited by other members. Drinking beer whilst taking part in Internet forums whilst driving. :shock: Now that's the sort of multitasking that would impress any woman. :wink: But don't tell me you do all that with Summer tyres fitted or I won't believe you.

Nah, I use slicks. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Return to Introductions