Hi from South Yorkshire

A place for new members to introduce themselves and give some background information as to their experience with driving, likes, dislikes etc. It is advisable to post here first before posting to other forum's on the site.

Postby nightflight » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:17 pm

Hi, I'm new in town.
I'm on the waiting list for my local RoSPA group but I've had an interest in advanced driving for the past few years.
I've been reading roadcraft in preparation and trying to implement as much as possible into my driving style (almost eradicated BGOL... almost) and thought that the forum might be a good resource to help progress my driving further.

Already got several questions in mind, is it preferred to resurrect a dead thread or start a new?
nightflight

Postby martine » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:09 pm

Hi Nightflight and welcome!

Hopefully your wait for a rospa tutor won't be too long.

Don't mind if you resurrect as long as it's 'on topic' or start a new thread. We try to be friendly here (with a few exceptions TripleS!) so don't worry about asking anything (however basic or complicated) to do with Advanced Driving. We don't have all the answers but you will get the benefit of a wide range or member's experience and thoughts.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby dombooth » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:19 am

Welcome to the forum. :)

Where abouts in South Yorkshire are you?

How long have you been on the waiting list for? You could have a very long wait ahead of you..

Dom
Dominic Booth
Chesterfield IAM Chairman & Webmaster
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

ALL OF MY POSTS ARE OF MY OPINION ONLY AND NOT THAT OF MY GROUP UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED.
dombooth

Postby nightflight » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:35 am

Thanks for the welcome all,
I'm in Sheffield, I've been waiting for about a year but recently had a follow up email saying my turn's getting closer so fingers crossed :)
nightflight

Postby dombooth » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:38 am

nightflight wrote:Thanks for the welcome all,
I'm in Sheffield, I've been waiting for about a year but recently had a follow up email saying my turn's getting closer so fingers crossed :)

Not far from me at all! Which part of Sheffield?

I'm 6th on the list and have been told this morning it could be another 6 months.

Dom
Dominic Booth
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

ALL OF MY POSTS ARE OF MY OPINION ONLY AND NOT THAT OF MY GROUP UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED.
dombooth

Postby nightflight » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:12 pm

Hillsborough.
Guess I'm not that close then as I didn't get given a position on the list haha!
nightflight

Postby dombooth » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:22 pm

nightflight wrote:Hillsborough.
Guess I'm not that close then as I didn't get given a position on the list haha!

Haha, I'm sure they'll let you know. I'm considering being put on the West Yorkshire groups list as they seem to be a lot more 'active' than SY group.

Dom
Dominic Booth
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

dombooth

Postby nightflight » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:20 pm

Hurrah, I've got to the top of the list. Sending my application form and fees off monday :D
nightflight

Postby waremark » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:05 pm

Holy thread resurrection! Is this for allocation to a RoSPA tutor?

Dom, are you also planning RoSPA on top of your IAM First?
waremark

Postby dombooth » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:10 pm

nightflight wrote:Hurrah, I've got to the top of the list. Sending my application form and fees off monday :D

So have I! :)

waremark wrote:Holy thread resurrection! Is this for allocation to a RoSPA tutor?

Yes I am.

Dom
Dominic Booth
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

dombooth

Postby waremark » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:40 pm

Enjoy both. Dom, in due course it will be good if you will share with us what extra you get out of it after already having F1rst.
waremark

Postby jcochrane » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:49 pm

dombooth wrote:
nightflight wrote:Hurrah, I've got to the top of the list. Sending my application form and fees off monday :D

waremark wrote:Holy thread resurrection! Is this for allocation to a RoSPA tutor?

Yes I am.

Dom

Good for you Dom. Am I correct in thinking you will be getting training from the local group? It would be interesting if you are to share any difference in requirement between the two organisations although I suspect they will be very similar.
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby dombooth » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:30 pm

waremark wrote:Enjoy both. Dom, in due course it will be good if you will share with us what extra you get out of it after already having F1rst.

Will do. :)

Dom
Dominic Booth
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

dombooth

Postby dombooth » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:34 pm

jcochrane wrote:
dombooth wrote:

Yes I am.

Dom

Good for you Dom. Am I correct in thinking you will be getting training from the local group? It would be interesting if you are to share any difference in requirement between the two organisations although I suspect they will be very similar.

Yes, although I originally wanted to go with West Yorkshire for the social aspect of it, I think I've realised I have enough on my plate!! So I'm going with South Yorkshire (the ones with very few members and no social aspects).

Dom
Dominic Booth
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

dombooth

Postby nightflight » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:32 am

Yes it is, out Saturday for my first drive. Best have a quick recap on roadcraft I guess
nightflight

Return to Introductions