Just joined...

A place for new members to introduce themselves and give some background information as to their experience with driving, likes, dislikes etc. It is advisable to post here first before posting to other forum's on the site.

Postby ericonabike » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:13 pm

Hi. I've been looking for a forum where aspects of driving can be discussed objectively and in an ego-free environment. Hopefully I've found it!

I've had a bike and car licence for 30+ years, no endorsements and full NCD. I own a 3.5 ton motorhome and a Citroen Berlingo. In the summer I drive a support van for cyclists on adventure cycling trips - back and forth across the Pyrenees! I'm theoretically 'retired' but am about to take up a part-time job as a chauffeur. My definition of a 'good driver' is one who minimises his/her risk of killing or injuring other road users - that to me is way more important than being able to perform handbrake turns, reverse into a gap an inch wider than the car etc etc etc.

As my user name suggest, I'm also a cyclist and until recently was doing around 5,000 miles a year on an assortment of bikes. I am a firm believer in their use as a form of transport, not just a leisure activity, and helped found my local cycling campaign group. But if you promise not to hold me responsible for all the sins or omissions of all cyclists, I'll do the same for you as regards motorists!

Anyway, that's my introduction. Looking forward to talking to you further.
ericonabike

Postby fungus » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:28 pm

ericonabike wrote: But if you promise not to hold me responsible for all the sins or omissions of all cyclists,

Oh I don't know about that. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Welcome to the forum Eric. You will find us a friendly bunch with a wide range of experience and advice.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby waremark » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:50 pm

Welcome. That sounds like a great record and experience on the road.

You have probably already worked out that a lot of us are involved with either or both of the Institute of Advanced Motorists or Rospa Advanced Drivers and Riders. Having a similar background we tend to agree violently about the basics, and to disagree violently about minute details. The driving these organisations value is safe, smooth, systematic and at a suitable speed. As such by comparison with what you are used to there may be more emphasis on specific techniques, and more focus on making good progress where it is safe to do so, but showing exceptional restraint where there are actual or potential dangers.

It is good for us to have input from different perspectives and we enjoy it! I look forward to your contributions.
Last edited by waremark on Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
waremark

Postby ericonabike » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:09 pm

Thanks both. I'm undecided about going down the IAM/RoSPA route, but never say never.
ericonabike

Postby jcochrane » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:43 pm

Welcome good to see another cyclist here. Up until about 3 years ago I would do a base mileage of 15000 miles a year. On top of that about about once a month a cyclospotive of 100 miles app.
Still hold a licence as an Assistant Commissaire for road cycle racing. So you will not be alone if the lot on here try to gang up on you. :lol:
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby gannet » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:59 am

welcome from another driver and commuting cyclist :D
-- Gannet.
Membership Secretary, East Surrey Group of Advanced Motorists
Driving: Citroen DS3 DSport 1.6THP / MINI Cooper Coupe :D
Riding: Airnimal Joey Sport... (helps with the commute into London during the week!)
ImageImage
gannet

Postby lordgrover » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:33 am

ericonabike wrote:Hi. I've been looking for a forum where aspects of driving can be discussed objectively and in an ego-free environment. Hopefully I've found it!

Erm... :twisted:

Welcome.
Mostly, I try to avoid injuring and killing fellow road users too.
...Unless it's absolutely unavoidable and I'm running late. :P
lordgrover

Return to Introductions