Greetings from Northampton

A place for new members to introduce themselves and give some background information as to their experience with driving, likes, dislikes etc. It is advisable to post here first before posting to other forum's on the site.

Postby mooncarrot » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:38 pm

Hi

I passed my IAM test in my 20’s, observed for a while, then let my membership lapse. Recently, now in my 50’s, I have rekindled my interest, and I am currently preparing for the ROSPA test, with a view to observing again.

I came across the site while looking for information and resources about Advanced Driving.

I am particularly interested how you get more drivers from the higher higher-risk categories: i.e. young-male drivers, attracted to advanced driving. Far too many of them are killing themselves and their passengers.

I also have a private pilot's license, and it is interesting to look at the crossover from the very safety-aware aviation community to that of driving. I note human factors are much more prominent in the current edition of Roadcraft compared with my previous (1977) edition.

David
mooncarrot

Postby gannet » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:57 pm

Hello and welcome :D

get along to some ADUK days as well 8)
-- Gannet.
Membership Secretary, East Surrey Group of Advanced Motorists
Driving: Citroen DS3 DSport 1.6THP / MINI Cooper Coupe :D
Riding: Airnimal Joey Sport... (helps with the commute into London during the week!)
ImageImage
gannet

Postby martine » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:18 pm

Hi mooncarrot and welcome!

There are a few of us into flying here - I wonder if a higher than average proportion of pilots are also into AD?

Look forward to meeting at an ADUK driving day sometime soon.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby trashbat » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:58 pm

Hello and welcome!

mooncarrot wrote:I am particularly interested how you get more drivers from the higher higher-risk categories: i.e. young-male drivers, attracted to advanced driving. Far too many of them are killing themselves and their passengers.

We have had a discussion (partially) about this at least once before, here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4242 - (I'm not suggesting you shouldn't start a new thread, just food for thought)
Rob - IAM F1RST, Alfa Romeo 156 JTS
trashbat

Postby mooncarrot » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:39 am

Thanks Trashbat.

I read that thread: some interesting points. It comes down to who is the arbiter of what is cool i.e. who shapes a young person's opinions. (Not Jeremy Clarkson I am sure). I passed my (ordinary) driving test at 17, whilst in the 6th form studying sciences: I loved rules, formulae, methodology - should have done AD then - would have been so cool!

But that's a discussion for another time and thread.
mooncarrot

Postby Horse » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:46 am

Hello!

In one of those odd coincidences, I'm in Roade/Hartwell this morning.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby mooncarrot » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:12 pm

Small world! Interesting blog BTW - watched a couple of the videos (aah should be working.)
mooncarrot

Postby mooncarrot » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:29 pm

Update: passed RoSPA test today, got a gold.
Last edited by mooncarrot on Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mooncarrot

Postby Horse » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:36 pm

Well done!
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby gannet » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:34 pm

congrats 8)
-- Gannet.
Membership Secretary, East Surrey Group of Advanced Motorists
Driving: Citroen DS3 DSport 1.6THP / MINI Cooper Coupe :D
Riding: Airnimal Joey Sport... (helps with the commute into London during the week!)
ImageImage
gannet

Return to Introductions