Hello from Shoreham

A place for new members to introduce themselves and give some background information as to their experience with driving, likes, dislikes etc. It is advisable to post here first before posting to other forum's on the site.

Postby IcedKiwi » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:55 pm

Hello,
I've been lurking for a while but thought I should say hi as I'm planning on actively starting my advanced driving journey.

I was lucky enough to have a day and a half instruction with Hugh Noblett, previously of Cadence, paid for by my company including time at Millbrook which sparked my interest in advanced driving. His demo drive around the hill route was a real eye opener of what was possible.
That was about two years ago, and have since tried to improve on my own, keeping up-to-date with discussions on here etc, but I feel that now I would like to take a more active approach in pursuit of improvement.
My current thinking is that I’ll join my local rospa group for starters and see how I get along there, whilst also trying to get out for as many drives or ADUK days as I can. There’s also an IAM group nearby so I do have choices available. My ultimate goal is HPC membership after hearing about it from Hugh over lunch, but I realise that’s some time away!

Based in Shoreham-by-sea, looking forward to chatting to you all and maybe meeting a few of you that live round this way.

Scott
IcedKiwi

Postby MrToad » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:17 pm

Hello Scott, and welcome.

Your drive with Hugh sounds like a good introduction to the world of driving improvement, and your plans sound very sensible too. The IAM / RoSPA choice generally comes down to the quality of your local group - they should be happy to answer questions, so do your research before deciding.

As you'll have discovered by reading the forums, there are more opinions and options around advanced driving than are likely to be covered by either organisation. Find out as much as you can from as many people as possible, and think about what works best for you.

The ADUK driving days are a great way to get that kind of input, but tend to be a bit thinner on the ground at this time of year. Have a look at the mentoring thread for people who may be available for one to one drives in the meantime: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3187
Do less, better.
MrToad

Postby jcochrane » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:59 pm

Welcome,

If Pease Pottage is not too far from you how about meeting up for a drive? Can also chat about ADUK drives and HPC or any other related matters over a coffee.

If interested send a PM.
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby IcedKiwi » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:26 pm

Thanks for the welcome guys and the offer of meeting up jcochrane, I'll definitely be in touch to try and arrange something.
From MrToads link I see that mefoster looks like they are also relatively local for another potential source of information/guidance which is great
IcedKiwi

Return to Introductions