New member from South Wales

A place for new members to introduce themselves and give some background information as to their experience with driving, likes, dislikes etc. It is advisable to post here first before posting to other forum's on the site.

Postby fengpo » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:33 pm

Hi all,

After lurking for a while I decided to join; seems like a decent forum. I'm waiting to do my first observed run with IAM Gwent. Anyone got experience of this particular group? Reading Roadcraft religiously, along with videos of CG and HN. I drew the line at even saying John Whitmore; when I read he teaches rotational steering.

Feel free to offer me advice in regards to furthering my driving .

Conor
fengpo

Postby jcochrane » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:27 am

fengpo wrote:Hi all,

After lurking for a while I decided to join; seems like a decent forum. I'm waiting to do my first observed run with IAM Gwent. Anyone got experience of this particular group? Reading Roadcraft religiously, along with videos of CG and HN. I drew the line at even saying John Whitmore; when I read he teaches rotational steering.

Feel free to offer me advice in regards to furthering my driving .

Conor

Welcome and enjoy your training towards the IAM test.

I used to to feel very strongly as you about Sir John Whitmore mainly because of the way he comes across. He is provocative in his writing style to make people think but comes over less so face to face. Knowing him better now I listen to what he says and understand why he feels the need to adopt the style he does to shake up the dogmatic thinkers. Do not discard rotational or any other technique. In my view an important part of wishing to be an advanced driver is expressed in its title to continually "advance" your knowledge and thinking about driving .To continually learn and that includes as many driving techniques as possible. Learn to fully master each one before making judgment. If you do choose to develop beyond the IAM and RoADA you will realise that there is much more to driving than they cover.
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby fengpo » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:02 am

jcochrane wrote:Welcome and enjoy your training towards the IAM test.

I used to to feel very strongly as you about Sir John Whitmore mainly because of the way he comes across. He is provocative in his writing style to make people think but comes over less so face to face. Knowing him better now I listen to what he says and understand why he feels the need to adopt the style he does to shake up the dogmatic thinkers. Do not discard rotational or any other technique. In my view an important part of wishing to be an advanced driver is expressed in its title to continually "advance" your knowledge and thinking about driving .To continually learn and that includes as many driving techniques as possible. Learn to fully master each one before making judgment. If you do choose to develop beyond the IAM and RoADA you will realise that there is much more to driving than they cover.

Thanks for the comments I will certainly take them on board. From what I can gather off the internet (not the most reliable source of information) is that John Whitmore and Chris Gilbert aren't that keen on each other.

I've got a training day booked with Chris next year, looking forward to seeing what I can learn from the day. I'm hoping to do my IAM advanced and Masters before then. I've already expressed an interest in becoming an observer with my local group, mainly to keep my skills fresh. Also want to encourage young drivers to join the group, I'm 22 so I'm fully expecting to be one of the youngest members of the group.
Last edited by Mr Cholmondeley-Warner on Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Fix quote markers
fengpo

Postby fengpo » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:01 pm

Haha thanks for the snippet of information Dave, I can't seem to find any videos of John Whitmore driving. I know he has a book that may be worth my time buying.
fengpo

Postby fengpo » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:09 pm

Thanks for clearing that up for me Dave; I'm a bit baffled as to why John was attempting to put his input into Roadcraft in that case. If his forte isn't road driving, surely makes more sense to leave it to CG and who ever else at Hendon at the time.

I may be misunderstanding completely though!

Thanks,

Conor
fengpo

Postby jcochrane » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:12 pm

StressedDave wrote:
fengpo wrote:Thanks for the comments I will certainly take them on board. From what I can gather off the internet (not the most reliable source of information) is that John Whitmore and Chris Gilbert aren't that keen on each other.

That's a mild understatement. Over 20 years ago, Sir John went to Hendon to talk about the potential changes to Roadcraft. As someone who has a thing about the need to insist on a particular steering style, this visit went down like a White House intern.

They were like the same poles of magnet trying to come together. It could never happen. It was about 40 years ago when I watched John (I don't think he had his sirship then) demonstrate PP and fixed input at Cadwell Park Race Circuit to prove the weaknesses of pp and the strengths of fixed input. I can see him now coming down the fast top straight into the tight right hand bend, before the Goose Neck, shuffling away at the wheel trying to get the car to go round the bend. Funny but scary. The only thing I found slightly unconvincing was he was using the old Hendon classic "shuffle" style of PP which whatever the die hard brigade say is bound to be precarious at any half meaningful speeds. I know that "shuffle" style of PP was generally popular at the time but some police schools were teaching a more fluid PP using all the wheel. Had he used that technique then the demonstration would have been more convincing in my opinion.
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby skodatezzer » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:31 pm

I'll just add another voice of welcome! May I encourage you to keep an eye on the "driver network" part of the forum. You've probably missed out for this year, but ADUK driving days are a fantastic experience. They are very informal, a true meeting of friends, but there is always a tremendous variety of ideas and experience exchanged among a group of delightful people united by their passion for driving and their eagerness to learn and improve. I'd guess that the Oxford event next week will be the last before winter closes in (should explain that these events take place only because some brave soul says "Ok, I'll organise one!" and takes on the task), but I'm sure that we'll be off again come spring, and I'm also sure that there will be at least one based in the Brecon Beacons. Hope all goes well with the AD training with Gwent. I'll stay out of the steering debate except perhaps to say, maybe stick to pp for the IAM test, but once that's out of the way, be prepared to explore other options! :wink:
IAM National Observer. Chair, E. Surrey IAM.
skodatezzer

Postby fengpo » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:18 pm

Thanks for all the comments, I'm going to explore into all advanced techniques as much as I can. I'm going to attend the ADUK days, Brecon day isn't too far from me. Be good to talk about the debate on steering further. Hopefully I'll have an firmer idea on the subject by then.

The mentoring section of the site is a good idea. Martin offered to help me out with preparation for my advanced, when I'm around Bristol. Didn't notice any Welsh on the mentoring section, may of missed some mentors?
fengpo

Postby fengpo » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:08 pm

I think I'll attend the ADUK days after my advanced test. Wouldn't want to upset the old duffer that will be observing me. When I'm shown how it's done outside of the IAM.

Any ideas if the IAM appreciate Roadcraft? They seem to want to stick to their fake version of Roadcraft.
fengpo

Postby TripleS » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:49 pm

fengpo wrote:Any ideas if the IAM appreciate Roadcraft? They seem to want to stick to their fake version of Roadcraft.

That should yield another 73 page topic!
TripleS

Postby fengpo » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:34 pm

My question came from reading both books, also IAM state they want associates to follow their book on the IAM test. Quite understandable from the perspective of the IAM.

My neighbour told me to draw my own conclusion on which book I prefer (passed his advanced).
fengpo

Postby TripleS » Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:28 pm

fengpo wrote:My question came from reading both books, also IAM state they want associates to follow their book on the IAM test. Quite understandable from the perspective of the IAM.

My neighbour told me to draw my own conclusion on which book I prefer (passed his advanced).

Sensible neighbour.
TripleS

Postby fengpo » Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:54 pm

Haha he's a nice bloke, the cynical part of me did think he is trying to get me to book advanced lessons with him haha.

Mini achievement on my way to Sidcot, had my eyes on main beam. Noticed a tractor far into the distance, as the other vehicles were shooting past him. I reduced my speed considerable so I could see to the near and off side of the tractor. Also to leave a safe distance between me and him. He thanked me for being considerate.

Roadcraft and CG DVD's have certainly improved my anticipation skills.
fengpo

Postby TripleS » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:55 am

fengpo wrote:Haha he's a nice bloke, the cynical part of me did think he is trying to get me to book advanced lessons with him haha.

Mini achievement on my way to Sidcot, had my eyes on main beam. Noticed a tractor far into the distance, as the other vehicles were shooting past him. I reduced my speed considerable so I could see to the near and off side of the tractor. Also to leave a safe distance between me and him. He thanked me for being considerate.

Roadcraft and CG DVD's have certainly improved my anticipation skills.

Y'know, I rather like what you've said there. It's perhaps early days, but it sounds to me as if you could be headed for considerable success at this AD lark.

I'm actually quite keen on the 'COAST' thing: Concentration, Observation, Anticipation, Space and Time. If you put in sufficient diligent effort at the C and O, and look to develop the A with increasing experience, you probably find that you naturally have comfortable amounts of S and T in which to do whatever you need to do, and without being rushed or pressured. If you then adopt a tolerant and amenable attitude towards other road users, you'll be fine. Well that's my story and I'm sticking to it until I see something better.

There are of course a number of practical things you can seek to develop in your driving - things to do with how you actually control the car and make it behave, but I feel they are of secondary importance. It's quite possible to produce Swift, Smooth and Safe driving without getting too heavily involved with those. There, that should get me into to trouble with a few folk. I think I'd better clear off and keep my head down for another week or two! :lol:

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby fengpo » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:15 pm

Thanks for the explanation on COAST Dave; I am new to advanced driving. I'm willing to learn which talking to the chief observer from my group. She personally thinks my attitude, is the best approach to bettering my skills.

Thanks,

Conor
fengpo

Return to Introductions