Hello all

A place for new members to introduce themselves and give some background information as to their experience with driving, likes, dislikes etc. It is advisable to post here first before posting to other forum's on the site.

Postby discov8 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:19 am

I passed my driving test at 17 and have driven a variety of vehicles from hot hatches to convertibles to off roaders to Mini buses over the last 30 plus years.

Early years were spent driving around the UK most weekends to rock/ mountaineering climbing locations and then further afield into Europe.

Last twenty plus years I’ve mainly been driving overseas on the wrong side of the road, figuratively speaking.

Current vehicles are an MG TF, V8 Discovery, heavily modified Discovery for extreme off roading and an Audi RS6 Avant.

After surviving so many years abroad where driving standards can be significantly below the UK, I decided to try the IAM last autumn and joined East Surrey group along with my son. I passed the car test in December :D ; my son has spent the last 9 months travelling but hopefully he’ll be back to the observed runs very soon.
discov8

Postby jcochrane » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:49 pm

A hearty welcome from another East Surrey member. I think the group is slowly taking over the AD world. :D
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby skodatezzer » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:28 am

jcochrane wrote:A hearty welcome from another East Surrey member. I think the group is slowly taking over the AD world. :D

Stealthily, step by step :twisted: Welcome discov8 - just trying to work out who you are in real life! :lol:
IAM National Observer. Chair, E. Surrey IAM.
skodatezzer

Postby gannet » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:01 am

and hello from another east surrey iam...

:D
-- Gannet.
Membership Secretary, East Surrey Group of Advanced Motorists
Driving: Citroen DS3 DSport 1.6THP / MINI Cooper Coupe :D
Riding: Airnimal Joey Sport... (helps with the commute into London during the week!)
ImageImage
gannet

Postby vieuxtigre » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:07 pm

Greetings from another (inactive) East Surrey member and former Senior Observer and also former rock climber (having Red-pointed up to F7b in my time). For what it's worth, the moniker I use on this site was assigned to me very publicly (in Climb issue 30) by training guru Neil Gresham. With such a provenance it would be churlish not to use it. These days I stick to a bike and fast cars.

Welcome

vieux tigre
vieuxtigre

Postby discov8 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:39 am

Good effort on 7b. I was climbing upto trad 6b thirty years ago but now climb infrequently so boulder at font 6a (if training frequentlty then upto font 6c).

Off roading took up a lot of my time, 270 horses plus a winch upfront makes for a lot of fun before a return to climbing and bouldering about 10yrs ago.
discov8

Return to Introductions