Newbie desperately seeking advice

A place for new members to introduce themselves and give some background information as to their experience with driving, likes, dislikes etc. It is advisable to post here first before posting to other forum's on the site.

Postby artyfysshe » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:58 pm

Hello All,
I'm not here on false pretences but my query isn't specifically about driving (tho' I am a driver, cyclist, walker, etc) - I'm looking for forums to find out whether anyone can help me how to have my home location marked as a no-go area by SatNav mapping companies.
For 25 years I've lived, and worked from home, in rural west Wales, by the side of a 'C' class road where my stone&slate-built house and outbuilding are on opposite sides of a lane which is on a series of bends and forms a pinch-point between the buildings, and includes a 1:7 hill with 180º & 90º bends at bottom and top. There are blue & white advisory notices either end of my section of lane, but these are regularly ignored by drivers of med - large trucks, incl artics. On average, there is some kind of untoward incident once or twice a week. Multiply that by 25yrs. I suffer stress, actual damage, repair costs, and will have difficulty selling my home under these circumstances.
My local Council have systematically refused to instal mandatory warning notices (such as you might find for a Low Bridge, for inst) as it might 'set a precedence'. The SatNav companies I have contacted in the past tell me that without such signage, they cannot include alerts on their mapping. Is this true? I am sympathetic to drivers whose time is wasted by getting stuck, lost, stressed, damaged - especially as there is an A-road which more-or-less parallels my little lane. Imagine the cost and stress to myself.
Any feedback will be welcome. If any regular users know of a better place within this forum, or anywhere else, in order to gain more coverage - please advise. Thanks.
artyfysshe

Postby TripleS » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:05 am

I'm afraid I don't know the answer to your problem, but you might try the PistonHeads site. They have a much larger membership than ADUK, so that may give you a better chance of getting some helpful suggestions.

It does sound as if your local authority is pretty useless in this case, but all too often this is how they are: hopelessly bogged down with their procedures and systems, rather than applying some commonsense.

Good luck with PH, and welcome to ADUK.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby artyfysshe » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:36 pm

Thanks for prompt responses so far - appreciated. I'm widening my forum coverage, slowly, and will certainly consider researching/approaching the SatNav mapping companies.
Unfortunately, mine is the last property out of my village in my particular direction, well away from my neighbours, and the only property affected by the restricted access - hence - no support.
artyfysshe

Return to Introductions