Rejoining after 24 years

A place for new members to introduce themselves and give some background information as to their experience with driving, likes, dislikes etc. It is advisable to post here first before posting to other forum's on the site.

Postby 5star » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:22 am

I passed the IAM 24 years ago. I didn't renew after the first year but have tried to keep to the Roadcraft system. A few weeks ago I came across some videos by Chris Gilbert on YouTube, and that inspired me to join again.

I should have an observed run arranged shortly. It will be interesting to see how much I remember after 24 years!
5star

Postby jcochrane » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:41 am

5star wrote:I passed the IAM 24 years ago. I didn't renew after the first year but have tried to keep to the Roadcraft system. A few weeks ago I came across some videos by Chris Gilbert on YouTube, and that inspired me to join again.

I should have an observed run arranged shortly. It will be interesting to see how much I remember after 24 years!

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you will enjoy getting back into the swing of things.

I had received training to a standard of driving some way beyond IAM. I then lapsed my training for 25 years. Although I did continue as an IAM Observer, during this period, it does not replace actively pursuing, through professional training and committed endeavour, in maintaining and improving ones driving. So a few years ago I got back into regular training and have improved my driving as a result.

The thing about driving is that you can never stop learning. To continually learn and develop is both rewarding and immensely beneficial.

Enjoy your return and make sure you get to some of the excellent ADUK driving days. They really are a must if you want to improve.

If you can mention what part of the world you live in I'm sure there could be another ADUK member that would be pleased to share a drive with you.
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby martine » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:54 am

Welcome and well done for restarting. I am sure you'll have a mixture of good stuff, a few bad habits and perhaps some techniques that need updating - enjoy the process of 'updating' your driving and tell us how you get on.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby 5star » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:16 pm

Thanks.

I'm based in Cumbria.

As I'm brushing up, I have some questions, so I'll post them in the Advanced Driving forum.
5star

Return to Introductions