Newbie.

A place for new members to introduce themselves and give some background information as to their experience with driving, likes, dislikes etc. It is advisable to post here first before posting to other forum's on the site.

Postby Monaro » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:46 pm

Hello All.

Just saying hi to everyone. Looks like a fantastic site and loads to learn. A former ADI but for various reasons been out of that career for some time.

Though I class myself as a 'reasonable' driver I fully admit I have LOADS to learn about advanced driving techniques and looking forward to some much needed advice. Driving as with much in life is a learning curve and the more knowledge I have will I'm sure make me into a better driver (hopefully).

Anyway, nice to finally log on and say hello, and see you around. :D
Monaro

Postby triquet » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:57 pm

Welcome, most welcome. Where are you based? :D
Jim
Offshore Engineer and Master of Music
triquet

Postby Monaro » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:57 pm

Hi triquet.

I'm based in Hertford, Herts.

Many thanks for the welcome. :)
Monaro

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:57 pm

Welcome. Does your pseudonym reflect your choice of transport?
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Monaro » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:21 pm

Hi Nick.

It certainly does. Lived in Australia for many a year and always lusted after one. Of an age now :oops: where my kids have flown the nest so bing bang bong decided to treat myself.

Had it now for just over the year, a few tweaks here and there and hopefully where I want her.
Monaro

Postby martine » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:15 pm

Hi 'Monaro' and welcome. I look forward to seeing your beast at an ADUK driving day sometime soon!

5l V8? Supercharged?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby WhoseGeneration » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:20 pm

Monaro wrote:Hello All.

A former ADI but for various reasons been out of that career for some time.

Though I class myself as a 'reasonable' driver I fully admit I have LOADS to learn about advanced driving techniques and looking forward to some much needed advice.

Why, as "a former ADI" do you think you have "LOADS to learn about advanced driving techniques"?
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby Monaro » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:06 am

Hi WhoseGeneration.

Probably because I don't like blowing my own trumpet mate, just the way I am, BUT.

Had my initial assessment yesterday with my local RoADAR as I want to volunteer with them in the future and was very pleasantly surprised by my drive. A few little niggles along the way, nothing major and my assessor was more than happy to take me under their wing and hopefully progress to Gold, Silver or Bronze, though I am prepared to put the work in to achieve Gold hopefully.

But after seven years out of ADI I was wondering what I remembered. It's surprising what stays in the old noggin at times. :D
Monaro

Postby Monaro » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:12 am

martine wrote:Hi 'Monaro' and welcome. I look forward to seeing your beast at an ADUK driving day sometime soon!

5l V8? Supercharged?

Hi martine.

Looking forward to some meet ups, be good to have a chin wag.

The 'Beast' was standard when I got her (VXR 6 LITRE V8). Had a few wraps put on, rear spoiler, inlets etc. But the big difference is the exhaust. Everyone seems to rave about the Wortec exhausts, nice yes but still not what the car deserves. So I went with a custom MagnaFlow system, and boy oh boy does she now sound as she should. Compared to the Wortec systems MagnaFlow are in my opinion far superior.

Got a few plans for her this year. Air intake, Michelin Pilot Super Sports all round and possibly a few other tweaks.
Monaro

Postby TripleS » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:25 am

WhoseGeneration wrote:
Monaro wrote:Hello All.

A former ADI but for various reasons been out of that career for some time.

Though I class myself as a 'reasonable' driver I fully admit I have LOADS to learn about advanced driving techniques and looking forward to some much needed advice.

Why, as "a former ADI" do you think you have "LOADS to learn about advanced driving techniques"?

I could very well have asked that, and probably got into trouble for it, so I'm happy to leave it to you. :P

Anyhow, welcome to ADUK, Monaro; I hope you'll enjoy your time here.

Incidentally, over on PistonHeads there's a lady (EmmaJ?) who apparently has a Monaro......with 750 bhp.

Good grief: frightening!
TripleS

Postby Monaro » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:27 pm

Hi TripleS.

Many thanks for the welcome, and I'm sure I'll get loads out of this forum, and who knows maybe even give a little advice back.

I often look in on PH, now I'll HAVE to look further and chat with Emma about her beast.

750 bhp, that's a machine. Mine is presently pulling 650 after a few tech tweaks and probably as far as I want to push her at the moment.

But going to do a season again at Santa Pod and if she doesn't 'perform' :shock: I may consider a visit to Monkfish for an engine 'upgrade'.

Just have to convince the good lady that we don't need a holiday for the next three or four years. :wink: :shock:
Monaro

Postby TripleS » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:22 pm

Monaro wrote:....going to do a season again at Santa Pod and if she doesn't 'perform' :shock: I may consider a visit to Monkfish for an engine 'upgrade'.

Just have to convince the good lady that we don't need a holiday for the next three or four years. :wink: :shock:

Well good luck with that. If I were foolish enough to put such a proposition to Eileen, I wouldn't be fit to go anywhere for quite some time!

That's why I've been trundling around with 90 horses for the past 14 years......and I'm not even sure that all of them are reporting for duty currently. :cry:
TripleS

Postby Monaro » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:55 pm

Don't worry TripleS. When I ask I shall be donning my hard hat and protective armour. :D

The last sentence had me in stitches. I've had a few like that over the years. In truth the Monaro is the only 'good' car I've ever had. I've had some true heaps in the past. In fact I went to a boot sale once and got more offers for the car than I did the tatt I had for sale. :D
Monaro

Postby kfae8959 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:02 pm

Monaro wrote:I'm based in Hertford

There are several active members very near to you, including one whose username rather gives away his nearest town. I'm sure they'll be in touch!

David
"A man's life in these parts often depends on a mere scrap of information"
kfae8959

Postby Horse » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:39 pm

Hello and welcome!

Rule 1 of AD club: you're allowed to talk about AD club :)

And ask questions, loads of them.

And ask' why' when someone says something you don't understand :) :)
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Next

Return to Introductions