Hullo from Cheshire

A place for new members to introduce themselves and give some background information as to their experience with driving, likes, dislikes etc. It is advisable to post here first before posting to other forum's on the site.

Postby EMarkM » Tue May 19, 2015 12:28 pm

Hullo road-users one and all.

I'm Mark from south Cheshire and I've lurked long enough!

Being in my mid forties, I've been a car driver and motorcyclist for around 25 years. I consider myself to be an "aspirational" advanced driver, in that I've spent many years reading up on advanced techniques via the usual Roadcraft/John Lyon publications and more recently by finding some of Chris Gilbert's and "Reg Local's" material here on the interwebs.

I try to apply good technique where I can - observation, driving plan, sympathetic use of the vehicle mechanics, a driver's commentary (spoken or not), and so-on.

At many times throughout my road-use career so far, I've considered taking the IAM or RoSPA route, but have never seemed to find the time.

However, a recent change in work circumstances may bring me a little more time on new and varied roads, and it's high time I did something about learning to drive "properly" - and by that I mean "learning properly how to drive" :wink:

It's always seemed to be a good, positive community here on the forum, with loads of advice on offer, even in these apparently dwindling days of road users generally wanting to improve (!)

Well, that's enough rambling; it's good to be here - thanks for having me!
EMarkM

Postby EMarkM » Wed May 20, 2015 11:30 am

Thanks for the welcome, Chris.

I'll certainly be interested in organising a drive out sometime (when things have calmed down a bit here at home - long story).

It doesn't look like any of the organised forum driving days are likely to crop up locally as things stand.

Looking forward to meeting a few ADers face to face, as this is the main thing my "self training" has, by definition, left me lacking!
EMarkM

Postby kfae8959 » Wed May 20, 2015 12:45 pm

EMarkM wrote:It doesn't look like any of the organised forum driving days are likely to crop up locally as things stand.

I'll do my best to fix something up - I've just got a few too many irons in the fire at the moment, but it will calm down...

David
"A man's life in these parts often depends on a mere scrap of information"
kfae8959

Postby EMarkM » Wed May 20, 2015 12:53 pm

Ah, cheers David - excellent news!
EMarkM

Postby EMarkM » Wed May 20, 2015 8:35 pm

Dang it! We love Bridgnorth too!

Speaking of "we", are spouses who have no direct interest in AD welcome on driving days, or are they considered a distraction?
EMarkM

Postby faboka » Wed May 20, 2015 9:52 pm

Hello from merseyside.

I don't get on here much nowadays but it is a very good site. Some good threads popup from time to time which makes you want to pull a finger out and do something.

Better halfs are always welcome.
John
faboka

Postby EMarkM » Thu May 21, 2015 6:16 am

Cheers John. Mrs. M. loves a good trip out, and vehicles of all kinds, but isn't directly interested in AD techniques.
EMarkM

Postby Carbon Based » Fri May 22, 2015 7:02 pm

EMarkM wrote:Speaking of "we", are spouses who have no direct interest in AD welcome on driving days..?

Most welcome. Mrs Carbon Based has been to two so far, and is signed up for a third with no other AD involvement.
Carbon Based

Postby EMarkM » Sat May 23, 2015 12:35 am

Thank you :)
EMarkM

Return to Introductions