New member, looking to become an excellent driver

A place for new members to introduce themselves and give some background information as to their experience with driving, likes, dislikes etc. It is advisable to post here first before posting to other forum's on the site.

Postby TerryTibbs » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:29 am

Hi everyone, thought I'd pop in and introduce myself. I'm 26 years old, hailing from Kent. I passed my test just over a couple of years ago, and had a year's worth of driving experience in which I clocked up my first year's no claims bonus 8) Problem was, I was diagnosed with a neurological condition halfway through said year, and couldn't drive too much because I found it so exhausting a lot of the time (long distances are out of the question unfortunately) and I decided that I'd see out the insurance agreement and then stop driving for a while as I felt like it was wasn't doing my health any favours (mostly because people relied on me for lifts and I have a bit of a problem saying no sometimes).

Anyhoo, fast-forward to today, my health is certainly no better, however after talking to people on a forum for people with chronic neurological illnesses I realised that maybe switching to driving automatic will give me a little less to think about so will, in theory, use up less mental resources. Been driving again for a week now and this has certainly been the case :D So whilst long distances are still way out of the question, I can make a regular local trips without it catching up with me.

I'm a decent driver, don't fly around like a looney, pretty good at anticipating and looking ahead. However, there's a lot of room for improvement and I'd love to be the best driver I can possibly be. I've always had a bit of a nerdy streak in which when I get into something, I like to really get down to the nitty-gritty, learn all the techniques and nuances that will make me better at what I'm doing, which in this case will not only make me enjoy driving even more but also keep me safe. I've got a copy of Roadcraft on it's way to me which I can't wait to read, needed some new night-time reading material anyway so perfect timing!

Hope I can learn a lot while I'm here, and in good time hopefully I'll be one of those providing advice to others :)

Thanks for reading, see you all around!
TerryTibbs

Postby Carbon Based » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:07 am

Welcome!

It seems you're already considering your driving so I'm sure you'll fit in very well here.
Carbon Based

Postby TerryTibbs » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:32 am

Thanks fellas :) Sounds good to me Dave, a boring book to help me fall asleep and learning on the job, ideal :mrgreen: Still waiting for a clinic appointment to see what drugs they wanna put me on, taking bloody ages...
TerryTibbs

Return to Introductions