New member - not yet passed an advanced test.

A place for new members to introduce themselves and give some background information as to their experience with driving, likes, dislikes etc. It is advisable to post here first before posting to other forum's on the site.

Postby jwatkins » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:33 pm

Hello all,

I'm not actually an advanced driver in the official sense. I hope that doesn't mean I shouldn't be on here!
I've been a full license holder for about 20 years and have recently got interested in improving/refreshing my driving skills.

I've done a lot of reading about advanced driving techniques, as well as watching video demonstrations. I'm trying to practice things such as using IPSGA instead of MSM, etc, and am starting to discipline myself into making a single gear change when approaching hazards. It's all interesting stuff and has definitely improved my awareness and made me more systematic in my approach.

I haven't decided whether to take an advanced test yet. It seems like a fairly expensive process, but I'll wait and see what people's advice is here.

I look forward to talking to you on these forums...
jwatkins

Postby trashbat » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:50 pm

You can do what you're doing & teach yourself most things in the world of advanced driving. It's not rocket science.

The value of an IAM course and/or test, to someone like you, isn't so much the material or technique. It's an independent assessment of whether you have actually, genuinely put into practice what you're aiming to do.

It's easy to go through the motions on some AD things and/or convince yourself that you have properly adopted them without actually making anything like the improvement that you could have made. Whether there is value in taking a course/test to have your skills verified is up to you; it depends how honest you are with yourself, and how good you are at self-analysis.
Rob - IAM F1RST, Alfa Romeo 156 JTS
trashbat

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:39 pm

Welcome, jw. You're absolutely in the right place, you'll find lots of help and advice (and some irrelevant semantic discussion) here.

Whether or not you take a test is entirely up to you. If you have the attitude to want to improve, then you will improve, whether or not you have formal tuition or a test. On the other hand, an impartial eye can help you understand the application of the theory you find in books, and the reasons for the theory, as well as places where it can be safely ignored.

If you're in a handy part of the country, come along to one of the driving days where you can get that help and advice in person, as well as having fun. The people attending those days come from a very broad church, so you can get more than one viewpoint without the bias of one particular organisation.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby jwatkins » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:46 pm

Thanks both. I think I'm reasonable honest (and maybe even over critical) when it comes to assessing my own abilities, so I think I've got enough to go on now. I'll probably consider preparing for a formal advanced test when I think I've hit a plateau and am not improving further by myself.
jwatkins

Postby IcedKiwi » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:10 pm

I started off by reading Road craft and trying to work out it out for myself. I then met with some members of this forum for an informal drive out to help see AD in action to see what I was "aiming" for etc.
What I couldn't gauge just from the books was the magnitudes and timings of the IPSGA etc. For example, when it talks about slowing down for hazards they really mean slow (much slower than I thought prior to any exposure to AD but still having read Roadcraft), additionally they were using much more positive acceleration than I had been using and positioning their cars deliberately on the road to maximise vision.

Whether or not you need formal training/testing is a personal thing, but I would highly recommend meeting up with someone who has done to get a feel for how the theory is applied.
IcedKiwi

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:16 pm

Presses "Like" button. :lol:

I was about to suggest that also. Have a look at the Mentoring thread to see if there's someone handy.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby ROG » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:42 pm

Many groups will give you a free no obligation assessment drive

Where in the UK are you?
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby Horse » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:25 pm

Go on Youtube, look for the Kent Police 'Riding Plans' video(s) - old but good.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby martine » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:09 pm

Welcome!

It's not expensive when you consider what you get.

With the IAM the fee is fixed at £149 all in.

In Bristol you get:
  • 2 x evening introductory theory seminars
  • the IAM book: "Advanced Driving: The Essential Skills"
  • As many drives as you need with an Observer (instructor) in your own car, developing your driving
  • A 3rd evening 'meet an examiner' seminar
  • Your Advanced Test itself
  • 12 months membership of the IAM and the local group

The commercial cost of this package would be much more but the IAM is a charity and mostly run by volunteers.

ROSPA run a very similar test and is less expensive but either way you're talking an absolute bargain...£149 - what's that 3 tanks of fuel or 2 tyres for a skill that will improve your safety, progress, confidence and your car will like it too!
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:50 pm

Well, I joined up when I wasn't even old enough to drive, I was 16, and have been a full licence holder for only 5 months, but I've not been kicked off the forum (yet :twisted:) for not being an advanced driver! :mrgreen:

Welcome, and I hope you find these forums a very useful resource. I certainly do! :D
TheInsanity1234

Postby Horse » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:16 pm

You may not have been able to come on the ADUK Berkshire day, but did you come out and wave as we passed your front door? ;)
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:25 pm

Horse wrote:You may not have been able to come on the ADUK Berkshire day, but did you come out and wave as we passed your front door? ;)

Probably not, I stayed at home all day that day as the Yeti has a front offside tyre which is close to the limit, and I didn't want to use the car any more than essential.

I've been bugging my dad to change the tyre, he doesn't take much notice :roll:
TheInsanity1234

Postby Garrison » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:52 pm

martine wrote:Welcome!

In Bristol you get:
  • As many drives as you need with an Observer (instructor) in your own car, developing your driving

The commercial cost of this package would be much more but the IAM is a charity and mostly run by volunteers.

ROSPA run a very similar test and is less expensive but either way you're talking an absolute bargain...£149 - what's that 3 tanks of fuel or 2 tyres for a skill that will improve your safety, progress, confidence and your car will like it too!

I might add (possibly) cheaper insurance too once you have passed your IAM test if insured through IAM Surety insurance scheme. However, given you have over 20 years' driving experience, I am not sure if your insurance could be much cheaper (location and car dependent also).
Garrison

Postby jwatkins » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:13 pm

Thanks for the further replies. In answer to someone's question, I'm in Cheltenham.
jwatkins

Postby jwatkins » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:44 pm

martine wrote:Welcome!

In Bristol you get:

Sorry, I missed this post. Martin, I notice you're an ADI as well as a member of the IAM, so are probably in a good position to answer this. In your opinion, if I just wanted a bit of a refresher and make sure I'm still up to modern standards, would I be as well to book a couple of lessons with a local ADI? I guess that would probably cost me about £20 per hour. Or is an IAM instructor qualified to a higher standard?
jwatkins

Next

Return to Introductions